S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Crazy Day

27 September 2011 | St. Augustine Marine Center
I'm in Detroit now and posting this on our iPad so it will be short and there is no picture. Monday turned out to be quite the day. We got up at 6 am. We moved the boat to the haul out slip at around 8, as soon as the tide was slack enough to chance moving the boat with so little thrust from the prop. We were pulled without incident and Danny pulled and adjusted the prop again. The boat was then put back in the water for the fourth sea trial! I was assured that I would be back from the sea trial in plenty of time to get ready and get to the airport. I told them I needed to be back no later than noon. Bob, from Yanmar, came aboard, as well as Dave, the electrician, who was trying to find the source of the current leak.

We went out the San Sabastian River once more to the Intracoastal Waterway and headed away from St. Augustine. This time the boat moved well and we got up to the engine rpm we were supposed to reach under full throttle. Bob had Bud back the engine down to a slower speed. Suddenly Dave, who was poking around the engine with his meter, called out, "Hey, there's a leak here!" Bob went down to investigate. "Shut the engine down", he ordered. So Bud shut it down. After we drifted for a minute Bud had me go get the anchor ready to drop, in case we started to drift too far out of the channel.

I went down below and found a hose clamp and piece of rubber tube for Bob. It seems that a clamp had gotten bent either at the factory or during the installation and the water pump pulley was rubbing on the engine coolant hose and wore a pin hole in it. While Bob worked on a temporary repair I went back up on deck. Bud asked me to get the staysail ready to set. There was a tiny breeze and it was turning the boat in the channel. When the boat drifted around enough I pulled out the sail and Bud tried to sail it although we were hardly moving.

Soon Bob had a patch improvised and we started the engine back up. The patch held so we started back at just over idle speed. After a bit I took the staysail back in as it was doing more harm than good. We were now returning against the tide, we were going just a bit over 2 knots. The plan was to take the boat back to the middle floating dock, have Danny come back aboard, drain the coolant, take off the hose, cut it and put a tube in to repair it, reinstall it, refill the coolant and take the boat back out to finish the sea trial. It was already going on 11. Having no faith that we'd get that done by 12:30, which was my real deadline for showering to leave for the airport no later than 1:45, I decided to finish packing and take all my stuff ashore. I would skip the next sea trial and if Bud and the boat didn't make it back by 1:45, someone would have to take me to the airport in Orlando.

The repair was done by 11:45 and Bud, Bob and Danny took off. I sat and waited. At 12:30 I was just getting up to take my shower when I saw them coming back. I went and helped them tie off in the slip. The sea trial was done! Everything went fine. I hurried off to shower. Dave and Mark, another guy from the marina, came on board to continue the search for the current leak. Bud, Fuzzy and I left for the airport at 1:45. I arrived in Detroit at about 11 pm. The current leak seems to have been caused by a dead short in one of our solar panel regulators. Hopefully all is well back at the boat as I start the next chapter.
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010