At Least the Fishing is Good
07 December 2011 | Vero Beach Marina
We got a lot done while we were at the dock. We charged the batteries, got to drink drip coffee, filled the water tanks and did laundry. Then Matt, from the local Yanmar dealership, came.
He was very nice and very professional. It turns out that we were right. (Sometimes it's not great to be right.) There is an oil leak from the rear engine seal. Matt took the time to take things apart far enough to see if the prop shaft and transmission were properly aligned. They were not. He described it as grossly misaligned. While he was here we asked him about the hot water. The engine no longer seems to heat our water. He looked at it for about 30 seconds and said, "That's because it's not plumbed correctly".
So what happens now? We're back on the mooring while he submits his report and about 30 pictures he took to the Yanmar distributor. He said it usually only takes them about a day to authorize service. He won't be able to do anything until next week. He probably won't know until Monday when he can start the work. He estimates about 40 hours of repair work (the original estimate for the installation was 80 hours). He thinks it can be done at a dock, but if the propeller shaft won't come loose, the boat may have to be pulled so they can do that from underneath. If they pull the boat, we'll have to take it about 15 miles further south to Ft. Pierce, because there are no boatyards with travel lifts here.
After he left we took the boat back to the mooring they assigned us. This time we are by ourselves, but right next to our new friends on Kanau. Since the boat had been run (at least back from the dock) Bud thought it would be a good time to do the 25-hour transmission fluid change. Bud bought a small pump that goes on our electric drill and has tubes to pump oil, etc. out of a dipstick hole. We tried to use that on the transmission. We got some fluid out of the dipstick hole, and we got some more out of the filter mount, but less than a quarter of what it holds. Checking the manual, our model needs to have the fluid drained from a drain plug. That, of course, was on the far side of the engine, so Bud was again lying over the engine and dangling into the bilge. No container would fit in the little bit of space to get below the drain hole, so he ended up draining the fluid into a gallon zip lock bag. He got most of it, but couldn't hold the bag and the plug and get the bag out, so dropped the plug into the bag, which I then took while he plugged the hole with his fingers. I fished the plug out of the bag, wiped it off and gave it to him. We had to repeat the process using a quart bag to get the last half-quart out. Altogether it took about two hours to drain about 4 and a half quarts of transmission fluid. We called the Yanmar Dealer here and asked if they could plumb a line up from that drain plug so we could use the pump to pump the fluid out without the acrobatics. The woman in the office said they've done that for other boats, but we haven't heard back from them yet. Bud didn't want to put fluid back in it until that's done, so we're sitting here without a functioning transmission (and still with no automatic bilge pump).
But we're safe and warm. The dinghy is working fine. There's a pump-out boat for holding tanks and we're on the list for a pump-out tomorrow. After the transmission fluid fiasco, Bud wanted to do a little fishing. He and I left Fuzzy sleeping in the salon and took the dinghy back out to the point where he fished yesterday. He almost immediately caught the 18-inch spotted sea trout in the picture, which he should have kept, but let go. So I guess if we're going to be stuck somewhere this is a good place to be stuck. By the way, if you look closely at the mouth of the sea trout you'll see it has one big tooth in the center of its mouth. I took a close up of it, which I put in the gallery. Weird.