S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

A Change in Plans and a New Worry

24 February 2012 | Water Cay, Jumentoes
Well, you'll notice we aren't at Hog Cay anymore. It's my fault. I put our intentions in the blog yesterday and that always means the plans will change. The guy substituting for our weather guru put in the email version that winds would be 19 on Sunday and Monday and the general trend was for moderating winds. This morning, Chris Parker came on (he was only on SSB M,W,F this week, and the sub was doing the emails each day). Chris said 20 gusting 25 Sunday through Wednesday, with wind moderating on Thursday. That meant we couldn't cross those open water sections until next Friday (the swell would probably still be too big Thursday, after four days of high wind). We weren't prepared to stay another week, so after having made plans with folks for activities today, we hurriedly readied the boat for sailing and called them all and said good-bye as we were leaving the anchorage at just before 8 AM.

We decided to get the majority of the run back to Thompson Bay done today, as there was some wind. There was about 15 knots of wind mostly behind us as we crossed the first open area, and we had pretty good following seas. It was not bad sailing at all, but then Bud noticed that the bilge pump was running fairly often. I went down to investigate. I ended up tearing up our bed to look underneath and found that our rudder post was leaking . I took the helm and Bud went down and looked at it. It seemed to leak whenever there was sideways pressure on the rudder. So Bud eased the main and tried to keep the boat going as easy as possible. Once we got out of that rough part the leaking slowed down. We kept on, the wind got pretty light at times but we managed to sail 54 and a half nautical miles to put us here at Water Cay.

The anchorage isn't a good as at Flamingo. We weren't sure the Rocna was set. When we went out in the dingy and looked at it, it was set, but Bud had actually been able to drag it out through the mud. We aren't too worried, there is enough sand to hold through a pretty good wind and the wind is supposed to drop to 10 knots tonight and be only 8 to 10 knots tomorrow. We have plenty of chain out and we set the anchor alarm, so we'll be okay. There are probably better places to anchor along this island, but this is the only other beach (and it's tiny) south of the fishing boat anchorage that already had two boats in it. We probably could have fit there, and if the wind was going to be an issue we would have moved, but this will do for an overnight stop.

We checked the rudder post and it's not leaking now. Tomorrow will be a light day, probably motor-sailing most of the day and then we'll be back at Thompson Bay and we can see what needs to be done.

Bud was just out on the deck looking at the stars and he saw a flare. We put out a general call on our VHF radio to see if anyone knew what the flare was about. He got no answer. We'll leave our VHF radio on to see if anyone calls. It may be that the fishing boat just sent up one of their old flares. If I ever find out what it was, I'll let you know.
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010