S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Bad Times Come Again

11 April 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Great Exuma
Jill
It's hard to remember now what a good day this started out to be.

We got up and listened to the weather. The wind was predicted to be very light today and what there was was going to be from the north-northeast. It wouldn't be a good day to sail so we planned to spend the day at Little Farmers Cay. Bud wants to sail as much as possible and not use that spare prop any more than we have to. But that's fine; we aren't in a hurry.

Bud went out fishing while I made the bed and did up the dishes. I had just about finished when he asked if I could help him. He had a big fish on the line. I got down the net, got into the dinghy tied alongside the boat and netted it. It was a 24-inch Mutton Snapper. Eating quality excellent. I took a picture and it is in the gallery. Bud took the fish ashore to clean and fillet it.

I was watching for him to return so I could help him tie off the dinghy. The reason the fishing is so good on those moorings at Little Farmers is that the current really rips through there, which makes landing the dinghy more difficult. I saw him approaching and came up to help, just as I was reaching for the line we heard Fuzzy squealing below. I left Bud to fend for himself and hurried back in to the cabin. Fuzzy was on the floor under the settee. He must have fallen and this time he really hurt himself because he was squealing in pain and he was not getting up. I lifted him up and held him and he stopped crying. Bud came down with the fillets. I tried to set Fuzzy on the floor, he wouldn't put his right rear foot down, but he also couldn't stand, even on three legs.

So we tidied everything up, lifted the dinghy and headed back to the Marina at Emerald Bay because there is a vet here near George Town. With all that we'd done we left the harbor at about 11:20. We had the main up, but there wasn't much wind, so Bud ran the engine. We came back at 7.8 knots the whole way. The spare prop seems to do fine. I called ahead to the marina and had them get us a rental car. I also tried to call the vet. No luck. As we approached the marina I got the lines out. We radioed and they told us to go back to the slip we'd left just yesterday. Before four o'clock we had the boat docked, the main put away and the power hooked up and connected and we were on our way to the vet.

All day Fuzzy had lain in his little bed below. I spent a good bit of the trip sitting next to him to keep him calm. He tried to get up a couple of times but couldn't. We tried to stand him up outside before we got in the car so he could pee. He just slid around onto his bottom. We still hadn't reached the vet by phone. When we got to his house we found out why; his wife was there, but the vet wasn't on the island. He'll be back tomorrow. Bud described what was going on, but there was nothing she could do for Fuzzy. So we brought poor Fuzzy back. He did drink water and eat a snack and his pill in cheese. He got very restless in the evening. First I tried to pick him up to take him out and I hurt him again. About an hour later he was still restless; I tried again. This time I was able to carry him out and he stood on three legs and peed. Now he's finally sleeping. We have him blocked all around with pillows so if he gets up while I'm asleep and tries to move he won't fall again.

So much for our nice day and all our plans to beat the wind.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010