S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

A New Home for Earendil?

24 February 2013 | Baytown, Texas
Jill
Bud got back from Florida Wednesday afternoon. Although he was happy to see Jamie, Adler and me, I'm sure I was much happier to have him back here than he was to be here again. He enjoyed being in Florida, and he enjoyed being at the boat even with the work and the sickness. He was not 100% recovered until about Friday. I've enjoyed having him cook again. He made a very nice stir-fry on Thursday, with lots of sliced vegetables. The one day I sliced carrots and parsnips for Adler and myself, I managed to slice off a bit of skin from the tip of my left ring finger. A very painful and bloody little wound. We did enjoy the veggies, though.

We need to make a decision quickly about bringing the boat. Jamie has off this weekend, so I asked Bud if he was up for another trip. He was, so we drove down to Baytown on Galveston Bay yesterday to visit the Bayland Marina. This is the picture I took of it through the car window going 65 mph across the Fred Hartman Bridge. I can't believe it came out this good. We were happily impressed with the place. It's city owned, but leased and managed by a very nice couple. It has floating docks and high pilings, the best thing for hurricanes. It had floating docks and high pilings before Hurricane Ike, but the surge from Ike was high enough to float the docks up over those pilings, and they floated enmass up on the grass and street at the inland end of the little cove where they are. So the docks are all brand new and the pilings are even higher now. I put a few other pictures in the gallery.

It took us 5 hours to get there, which included one slight detour. Our route took us on the Sam Houston Parkway, which was designated as a partial toll road. We had our change ready before we made the exit. Once on it we found that you could only use a transponder, no cash was accepted, so we took the first exit and retraced our steps. Now that route took us all the way to the 610 loop in Houston, and even on Saturday the traffic was heavy. We looked for an alternative route back and found we could take route 146 that goes right by the marina, straight north for about 80 miles. It keeps you well east of Houston and its traffic.

So we drove 5 hours down, getting there at 12:15. We talked to the folks at the marina, followed their directions (and the iPad) to a West Marine where we bought a cruising guide for Western Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, and followed the clerk's recommendation to a good seafood restaurant. We haven't had good seafood since we came to Texarkana. If I haven't mentioned it before, a great deficiency of Texarkana is that it's a food desert! Nobody seems to be able to cook anything that isn't bar-be-qued or fried. Anyway, we both got the blackened redfish and shrimp plate at Joe Lee's, which was a place and pick up your order at the counter type of eatery. The fish was fresh and tasty, so we were happy. I had forgotten to take pictures of the marina. I snapped this one on the way back over the bridge, then we stopped for me to take the others, and at 2:40 we were on our way back. The new route was a bit shorter, but still took 5 hours.

Poor Bud, he must feel like he's back at work with all this driving. But it paid off as we are excited about the prospect of having Earendil here, and spending weekends aboard would be doable. I thought on the way back that the trip would soon turn tedious, but better than never seeing our boat at all. So now the challenge remains getting her here. Bud will soon have to go back to Florida, and this time sail her back. We figure he'll be gone about 6 or 7 weeks total. That will be hard, but the reward will be great.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010