S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Back Aboard Briefly

01 May 2013 | Baytown and Texarkana
Jill
I couldn't get away from Texarkana until almost 6 PM on Saturday, but I wasn't going to wait another minute, so Fuzzy and I immediately set out for Baytown. I'll admit to a bit of trepidation, it's a 5-hour drive, Fuzzy is demented and doesn't travel well and the old land barge is showing her age, mostly in a complete lack of suspension and very questionable brakes. But if I stayed in Texarkana and tried to wait until morning I knew I wouldn't sleep anyway, so off I went.

Bud had told me that he had thunderstorms at the boat, but I had 5 hours yet to go so I figured they'd be gone. The storms in Texarkana tend to be intense, but brief. I was listening to the radio on the way down and the programming was interrupted with a weather alert. There were intense thunderstorms just east of me with quarter-sized hail, 60 mph winds and lightning strikes. People were being advised to seek shelter. Fortunately the storms were moving further east, so I just kept on going. Just after dark I did hit periods of rain that slowed me a bit. The open road (4-lane through the country, not limited access) had a 75-mph speed limit. I couldn't manage that in the rain and dark with questionable brakes.

Fuzzy was in his carrier. I'd found he was more comfortable in that now that he's almost totally blind. The top was unzipped so he could sit up or stand and look out. He spent about the first three hours nervously looking out and turning around. Finally he lay down and slept.

I ran back out of the rain, made one quick stop for gas, and kept on pushing. As I got closer to Baytown I started to see lightning in the sky. I didn't see any cloud to ground strikes and hoped this was the sign that the storms had passed or dissipated. About 20 miles north of Baytown I ran back into rain and arrived at the marina at 11:10 PM in rain and wind. It took two trips out to the boat to get Fuzzy and all our stuff aboard.

The first thing I noticed, besides the rain and the wind, was that it smelled like the ocean! And because of that I found I didn't mind the rain and wind at all (that and because it was warm!). It was odd and a bit disorienting to be back aboard Earendil. Her interior felt damp (several new leaks had been noodled out by the driving rain) and small. But I was tired so I put down my stuff and went to bed.

The next morning was clear and calm. After putting away my clothes and things I found the boat felt like home again, and not too small at all. Fuzzy had to be watched constantly, because he insisted on coming up the 6 inch step from the salon to the galley, but couldn't see well enough to step back down, and kind of fell down, which might end up hurting him. We ended up having him sleep in the carrier.

Sunday afternoon Dan and Sharon Murphy from TYC came by with their son, Kevin. Kevin lives in the Galveston area, as do Dan and Sharon in the winter. We had a nice visit and they brought us a bottle of champagne to celebrate getting the boat to Baytown! It made being back on board all the nicer.

Bud was too tired Sunday to move the boat to her permanent dock. Monday the marina office is closed so we couldn't get fuel or pump out, so we didn't move her then either. We spent the time cleaning and packing, tending to potential leaks and getting our chafe guard and dock lines sorted. We had a lot of stuff to pack in the land barge. Based on the first leg of the trip, Bud had really stocked up for the gulf crossing. We brought back 6 cases of water (leaving two on the boat), seven 12 packs of beer (leaving about 4 on the boat), about 5 bags of groceries and a cooler full of frozen and refrigerated food!

Tuesday morning we found out that it would be unwise to come to the fuel dock until the tide came in a bit. So we continued our packing and waited. At 10:15 we gave it a try. We had no problem; our depth gauge read 7 feet at the dock. We fueled up, and it only took 40 gallons. Since they had used the 20 gallons of fuel in the jerry cans that meant the 800-mile leg from Marathon had only taken 60 gallons of fuel. When I get a chance I'll try to estimate the number of hours motorsailing and just motoring, but I think the fuel consumption of the Yanmar is definitely showing improvement.

It took us a little over an hour to move the boat and secure it in the new slip. Happily one of the live-aboards in the marina came over to help us in the slip, as the wind caught Earendil and Bud came in very crooked. We were all secured and packed and left the marina at 1:50 PM.

We were only at the marina a few days, but already we met three couples and one single guy with boats there (and there are only 22 boats in this 103-slip marina). That's one of the great things about boating. No matter how different folks are, they all love boats and are willing to lend a hand to fellow boaters. We have three people who will keep an eye on Earendil for us. And that is good, because now we're back in Texarkana, 5 hours away.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010