Bookmark and Share
S/V Earendil
Of Course They Sailed All Day
Jill (Second Hand)
11/08/2010, Cambridge, MD

This was my first day not on the boat. I left Bud and Rick at the pump out at Annapolis Yacht Club and took off for the Amtrak station at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. I spent the day going from one train to another lugging my very heavy suitcase, which I never was able to check. I also was the only person over the age of 8 that wasn't connected electronically through a laptop or a cell phone. I felt very alone. I never got to talk to Bud until Tuesday morning, so this update is late.

They spent the day sailing like mad down the Chesapeake. Rick arrived around 10:30 AM, it was about 11:30 before I left them at the pump-out dock, so I don't think they left the harbor until noon. Nevertheless, they sailed over 40 nautical miles (a nautical mile is 1 minute of latitude or about 1.1 statute miles). That's because for once they had great wind. Bud said they started the day with full main, full genoa, and staysail. They were doing over 9 knots (and the prop feathered immediately). They ended with a double-reefed main and a reefed genoa and no staysail. If anyone knows Bud and Rick, you know there was plenty of wind out there. I asked Bud how far the boat was heeling before they reefed. He wasn't sure, but said they were pushing a lot of green water on the low side.

They ended up in Cambridge, MD, which is quite a ways up the Choptank River. I had given Bud a couple of other marinas to call that were closer to the main part of the bay, but Bud being Bud, he just went for the one he knew would work without calling, not realizing until he'd gone a long way up just how much further it was. When I talked to him this morning they'd been out for over an hour and still weren't back to where they could sail again.

I realize I have no photo of the new crew. I will have to coach Bud on emailing pictures for the blog.

11/09/2010 | Gary Gaskill
Aren't they headed the wrong way?
11/14/2010 | Bud Elkin
Love your log so far! Can't wait to read more. We Floridians don't get much of that cold weather, but then again we welcome all you northerners!
Visitors and a Planned Crew Change
11/07/2010, Still in Annapolis

Today our good friend Rick Sampson visited us. Rick is from Newfane, our hometown, and we have known him since high school. He lives just north of Washington, D.C. and knowing we were in Annapolis came to see us. He took Bud to the grocery store and took us both out to lunch.

We also spent time talking logistics. I have to go help our daughter for a while. She needs to score well on the next part of her medical licensing exams to secure the residency she wants. With a house and 17-month old baby to take care of, she is not getting the study time she needs. So Mom is coming to the rescue. I can only do this because two of our friends have generously offered to come and help Bud continue to take the boat south. Rick Sindoni, our wonderful friend from Tuscarora Yacht Club, is coming tomorrow for a week. Rick Sampson is going to take the week after. We spent some time figuring out how to manage to get Rick 1 back home and Rick 2 onto the boat, and then eventually get Rick 2 back home also.

We're hoping after two more weeks the guys have been able to move the boat far enough south so Bud and Fuzzy can comfortably wait for me to get back for the final leg to Florida.

Just as Rick Sampson was getting ready to say goodbye for now, there was a knock on the boat. Jon and Arline had found us again! They were here with their son-in-law Jeremy who lives in Dover, Delaware. What a treat. They are leaving soon to drive to Florida and their boat, so the next time we see them we hope to be having those cocktails in their cockpit. This time, we had Jeremy take pictures, so I have a photo of Jon and Arline on the boat.

I didn't get a photo of Rick Sampson, though. I'll have to rely on Bud to take a picture while Rick's official crew.

It's going to be hard for me to leave. I was just getting comfortable with all of this. I will miss the adventure. On the other hand, I get to go play with my grandson and visit my daughter, and when I come back it will be to a port that is much warmer (I hope). In order for the blog to say more than "We sailed, we stopped, we drank beer", I'm going to call Bud every day and try to get as many details as possible from him and I'll write the blog.

So if all goes well, Bud, Rick Sindoni and Fuzzy leave Annapolis tomorrow for points south and Jill goes north to Detroit for a few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

11/07/2010 | Jon and Arline
Nice seeing both of you.
This is the site for pet app.
This is our blog
11/07/2010 | Bill & Karen TYC South
We're still following your progress South. Enjoying your posts!!!
11/08/2010 | Darren Eadie
Hi guys,

glad to hear your adventure is going well. Obviously my father gave me your card. Very fun to read as you head along. 11-4 day of learning sounded hairy. Keep posting fun to dream and follow along.

11/09/2010 | Peter F. Seager, Sr.
We have been following you sail boaters. Sound like a wonderful adventure. Glad to see Sondoni giving you a hand. We are keep watch from Tuscarora South.
pete and sharon
A Milestone Achieved
11/06/2010, Annapolis, MD

Today was the eighth straight day of moving along. This morning we left Chesapeake City and headed out into the Chesapeake Bay. As soon as we passed the light that marks the end of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal we put out the trusty staysail. It was giving us a bit of a boost. We motored with the staysail only for a while. In the upper reaches of the bay you have to stay pretty close to the shipping channel, as it gets shallow quickly on either side. There were a lot of barges and tugs. In one area they were going every which way. They may have been dredging and bringing barges in to take the fill. It wasn't dredging with pipes and pumps like you see; there was one barge with a huge bucket and the other barges were coming up to it. Anyway, it was pretty confusing as we approached it.

After we got past that confusion and out where the bay opened up we raised the main (yes, lesson learned, the main was ready to set when we left the dock). We were hoping for some good wind but there wasn't much. Bud wanted to pull the genoa out, too, but I asked if we could wait until we had more room. We postponed the genoa, and as it turned out the wind started to drop. We ended up motoring with both the main and staysail for a while. Eventually we had to drop the staysail, but we left the main up. I'm not sure how much good it was doing, but it made us feel better. We have been out for three and a half weeks, we were moving 17 of those days, and we've had the engine off for 2 hours.

The current did more for us than the wind. We left just before high tide, so there was a slight current against us to start, but by time we were into the Chesapeake we had 2 knots of outgoing tide to help us along. We hoped to make Annapolis, but weren't sure we could. Thanks to the strong tide we got here at 4 PM. The tide was slack again by the time we arrived, but had done its job.

Our route took us out of the shipping lanes and across the bay on a diagonal. That's when we discovered the joy of crab pots as foretold by Jon and Arline. The buoys used to mark them are tiny. Sometimes they have a little piece of flag flying, and sometime just a bit of stick. To make matters worse, we were going southwest under a November sun, which never gets very high in the sky, so in the afternoon we stared into a sea of sparkles for hours at a time trying to pick out the little sticks and flags before we ran them down. We did manage to miss them all, even the one or two we didn't see until they were behind us.

True to form, as we turned into the Annapolis harbor and prepared to drop the main, the wind came up. A sailor's life! Once we get to warm weather we need to change our pace to match the wind.

We got a berth at the Annapolis Yacht Club. They put us just past the drawbridge on Spa Creek. Fortunately, we arrived in the creek at 3:56, as on the weekends the bridge is raised on the hour and half hour. Bud held the boat in the approach channel for only a few minutes while the Annapolis junior sailing contingent went zipping by in their little boats, and other power boats went in and out. Soon enough the bridge opened. Only one small section in the center of the bridge opens up. As you come up to it, it looks like you have about a 20-foot gap to get your mast through. We were still trying to get straight through the gap in the bridge when we spied the dockmaster indicating a slip just past the bridge. Bud had to stop and back a bit to make the 90-degree turn into the slip. Once we were here and tied I mentioned that it was a really difficult spot. "Not my favorite." was Bud's typically understated reply.

But here we are in the sailing capital of America, even if we have only sailed for 2 hours in our quest to get here!

11/06/2010 | Jon and Arline
Well done, you've made good time. NOW sit and enjoy where you are. Take some time and walk around town for a few days. It's why we are out here, to see differnt places. Oh if you liked that bridge just wait, you'll get as good at bridges as you have gotten at Locks, and your ok with not sailing in a sailboat, that good too.
An Easy Day
11/05/2010, Chesapeake City, MD

We had a peaceful night's sleep at anchor last night. The boat didn't appear to have moved during the night. In the morning the anchor was still pulling back from the bow just like when we set it. Bud had to back the boat several times as I used the windlass to pull in the chain and anchor. That didn't make sense to us, but at least it held. My taunt-line hitch held the snubber, too. Thanks, Jon. I couldn't find my camera in the morning, and as usual we were hurrying to get going to beat the tide, so I didn't get a picture until we were out on Delaware Bay again. It looks pretty desolate.

We expected to fight the current again, but today it was with us. We made great time up to the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. We kept the current through the canal, too. We had over two knots of current, so the miles flew by. Even though we were making good time, we stopped early, at noon. There is a free city dock in Chesapeake, MD, close to the Chesapeake end of the C & D Canal. You can stay for 24 hours and power is only $15. That's where we are. There are floating docks in a basin right off the canal, very nice. The only tricky part is making the turn across the current into the basin.

The first thing I did when we docked was to walk Fuzzy. He again refused to use his dog potty. He did pee on the carpet in the morning the day before. I think the wild ride through the surf scared the pee right out of him. But he won't use that pee pad. So it had been close to 24 hours since he'd gone. He was very happy to see a dock and solid land. Anchoring is not his thing.

We ate lunch, had time for a walk around this old town (photo in the gallery) and came back and spent some time organizing things aboard. We had a pizza delivered for supper and just generally relaxed. A nice change after yesterday.

11/05/2010 | Jon and Arline
We drove over the C and D canal today to visit with family, ph yeah we were on the roof rack lookin for you guys. We think of you daily and share your trills. It only gets easier and harder at the same time.
11/05/2010 | jIM
11/06/2010 | Rich Bebee
Great keeping up with you. Hope you had a good day.
A Day of Learning
11/04/2010, The Middle of Nowhere, Delaware Bay

Today was a long, full day and we learned a lot. We almost stayed at the dock in Cape May. It was supposed to be heavy rain and Bud was worried about visibility. Then we were awakened by the wind. Light winds were in the forecast, but when we got up at 5:30 AM (isn't retirement great?) there was over 20 knots of wind pinning us to the dock. There was no way Bud could squeeze back out of that marina in 20 knots of wind. I went and took a good long, hot, shower. When I came out of the shower rooms, the wind was down.

According to the forecast, today was the best day to go until Sunday. When the wind got down to around 10 knots we decided to leave, despite the rain. A man from Maine helped us out and we got out of there without hitting anything, but it was close. The big powerboat had left during the high winds. He did a good job of getting out of his dock, but he could take the Cape May canal, so didn't have to worry about the waves out on the ocean side.

And there were waves out on the ocean side. The inlet seems to be very bad for waves; the current was opposing the wind. Bud figures we went through 10-foot waves. Earendil rode them well, but they were not nice long rollers, they were close together and some were starting to break. One big one broke over our bow, lifting the dinghy lashed to the foredeck and giving a solid "whump" to the dodger. Fuzzy was still in the cabin, when I looked down through the hatch he was looking up at me with very big eyes. I went below to check on things and learned that the TV needs to be secured better, the cutting board can't ride in the slot next to the microwave and we need covers for the dorades and vents; when the bow goes under water, they leak. But there were no leaks around the mast, so that fix worked.

We wanted to cut to starboard right after the entrance buoy, but we went straight out for another 2 to 3 miles before the waves were small enough and spaced well enough for Bud to turn the boat. We went out far enough so we could actually angle back, because there was no way we could take those waves on the beam. We didn't have sails up because we thought we would soon be heading up the channel though the Delaware Bay. Bud suggested we put out the staysail, and after my initial moment of shock I saw the sense in that. We tried it. Immediately the action of the boat calmed down and we gained some speed. We were now angling against the current and any additional speed was needed. The lesson here is that the staysail is great to have!

The wind started to die and the waves settled down, but the outgoing tide was still killing our speed. It was raining off and on and we were getting damp and cold. We hadn't unzipped the main from the stack pack and that's not something you can do in any kind of seas at all. The lesson here is never assume you won't use your sails, have them ready. The staysail was doing great, but a reefed main might have made it that much better.

A major problem with this part of the trip is that once committed you have to keep going more than halfway up the bay to find a place to dock or anchor. We were struggling to make headway and the wind kept moving around to the nose. We put out and took in the staysail 3 times. Each time we furled it we seemed to get it tighter around the foil. That means it made more wraps and took more furling line. After yesterday, it wouldn't quite roll up all the way. A small corner stuck out. We should have fixed it last night but we were too tired and cold to stay out and do it. Today, after the second time we brought it in, we had 5 feet of sail still unfurled. That had to be fixed. We waited for a straight stretch of channel with no boats around. Then Bud engaged the autopilot. He went up and held the furling drum; I uncleated the furling line, pulled it back through the place where it ties on the drum (it take pliers to pull it out of the bottom of the drum to untie it). Then Bud rolled up the rest of the sail by turning the drum and I retied the furling line. It all went quite smoothly, but we were lucky the waves were down by then. There's another lesson here - can you guess? We put the staysail out one more time and kept it up until the end of the trip. We had no trouble furling it.

Despite our efforts to increase speed using the staysail, we still got to the stopping place just before dark (it was 6 PM). The nearest marinas were another 4 miles up the river and no one had answered the phone at either of them, so we decided this would be a good time to anchor. While Bud was selecting a spot and lining the boat up with the current (the tide had finally started to come in) I unclipped the anchor. When he had the boat stopped I released the brake on the windlass (mechanism that winds up the anchor) and nothing happened. After a few moments of struggle, Bud and I switched places. When Bud couldn't get it to release I went below to look up the information on the windlass. I couldn't find it.

Now it's seriously getting dark and the anchor still isn't set. Bud had me hold the boat with the engine while he tried to set the anchor by hand. That took two, so I left the controls and went to help. We couldn't tell how much chain we were putting out. I went back to check our speed (which we wanted at 0) and the depth. We were in 9 feet of water. So we pulled the anchor up and started again. At least the windlass worked like a charm to pull the anchor up.

By now we had to dig out our spotlight to find the shore to place the boat correctly again. Repeat all, only this time Bud was pulling the chain up from the anchor locker and Jill was feeding it out to the anchor. We stopped a couple of times and put the chain back around the windlass while we checked position and boat speed. It was odd. The boat wasn't moving, the current was against the bow, but the boat was moving over the anchor. We backed it off more than once. Anyway, after one such stop, Bud released the clutch on the windlass and the anchor started going out on its own. Evidently the windlass had finally freed up (we knew the past owner hadn't used it in the 8 years he owned the boat because the old chain was rusted into a blob in the anchor locker and some had to be cut out). So now we learned how to use the windlass. We even tied a snubber on the chain (we'll buy one when we can).

The generator is chugging away, the boat doesn't seem to be going anywhere, we're reasonably warm and reasonably safe, but it was NOT a nice day. I'll have to post a photo tomorrow. It will be interesting to see where we are (in more ways than one) in the morning.

The big lessons for the day are:
You never need to be somewhere badly enough to risk going at a bad time.
If you are stupid enough to do it anyway, the boat and you will probably live through it.

11/05/2010 | John Camesano, TYC
Congratulations on progress south on the globe, north on the learning curve. Snow in forecast for WNY. Thanks again for your great posts, John
11/05/2010 | Jon and Arline
It looks like you guy's had anchored in the same location as we did when we were there. Can't wait to see what you think about the crab pots:). Enjoy!
A Long Day
11/03/2010, Cape May, New Jersey

The next good stop on our way was Cape May and it is a long way from Barnegat Inlet. We started out as soon as we could see. Since it was a clear morning, we were on our way at 6:50 AM.

We motored in light wind for about 3 hours. The wind picked up and from a favorable direction so we set the sails. We got all three sails flying (main, genoa and staysail) and the wind immediately dropped off. Within a half hour we had the genoa and staysail furled again and were motor-sailing with just the main. That was a lot of work without any gain. You can see in the picture how hard Fuzzy was working. That's his typical sailing position.

We might have had better speed under sail, but the prop wouldn't set again. We had this problem earlier this summer and thought it was fixed. Our transmission is hydraulic, so there's no gear to hold the prop still. We have a Max-prop which is supposed to feather to reduce the drag. When it works, the prop stops spinning. When it doesn't work, the prop spins, the shaft spins and the transmission spins. It makes a terrible whine. Anyway, yesterday the prop set perfectly. Today, no go. We sailed anyway because it's not supposed to hurt the transmission, but it's terribly annoying. I'm sure we put the engine on sooner than we might have otherwise.

We sailed past Atlantic City and I added a couple of photos to the gallery. I started a new album now that we're on the ocean, just thought it would be easier to view the pictures if there weren't too many in any one album.

Altogether we went over 76 miles. That's a long day at about 7 mph. We got here to the marina just after 5, by the time we bought fuel and got in our slip it was going on 6.

The folks at this marina are very nice, but it's another one not set up for sailboats. Bud did a masterful job maneuvering. You have to make a 90-degree turn to the left to go from the main channel to their entrance channel. Then you have to make a 90-degree turn to the right to get in the opening in their bulkhead, and it's not all that wide an opening. We came straight in the marina main channel to the end; where Bud had to pull, bow first, into a slip for fuel. Once fueled, he had to back out, and come back out the channel a bit to our assigned slip. There wasn't room to just back out and turn, Bud had to go forward and back again to get turned. The slip was next to a 48-foot powerboat. The man and woman came out and were ready to fend as Bud began to make his turn into the slip, but no fending was necessary. I could see how worried the man was seeing a 44-foot sailboat with one engine and no thrusters try to pull in next to him from a narrow channel, but in the end, he just stood and watched and said, "Nice job."

It was about 7:30 by the time the sails were tidied. We still had to walk to a convenience store and cook and eat. We are both really tired. The bad part is we have another long day tomorrow! We need to make it around the point of Cape May and up into Delaware Bay tomorrow, as the wind and waves are going to pick up through the day and all day Friday. If the weather wasn't going to turn bad, I'd love to stay here an extra day. It wouldn't be an issue if we could take the Cape May Canal and skip going out around the point, but there are two bridges with only 55 feet of clearance. That 63-foot mast is causing problems again.

Sailing on a deadline (even as vague a deadline as coming winter) is not so much fun. I'm still dreaming of warm weather and lazy days!

11/04/2010 | Bryan Burhans
Great blog Jill! Sounds like quite an adventure. Too bad no time to stop and visit Cape May. I went to boot camp there in 1990, great town! Fair winds and following seas!!

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs