Bookmark and Share
S/V Earendil
Shrimp Country
Jill (Second Hand)
11/18/2010, Georgetown, SC

It was a good run today. Bud and Rick left the dock at about 6:30 AM. They had 3 or 4 bridges to make and hit all of them with no wait time. A good portion of their run was on the Waccamaw River and they were going with the current. Even keeping the engine revs down they were doing almost 8 knots for a while, and over 6 knots for most of the day.

Their goal for the day was Georgetown, SC and they got there in the middle of the afternoon. Again, this was a situation where they probably could have easily anchored, but they didn't know it. The problem with anchoring for us is that we have to get Fuzzy to the shore. We have a dinghy and an outboard for it, but we didn't get the outboard until 2 days before we left. We decided not to register the dinghy in New York because we are going to be changing our official residence to Florida, where our mail forwarding service is. We also couldn't find the recommended oil for the new outboard. So we are trying to only use it with the oars. Rowing is only going to work if there's not a lot of either wind or current and if the distance isn't too great. So even now, when it is warm enough that Bud would consider anchoring, he's not been able to identify good anchorages ahead of time. (He also doesn't have me on board right now to research all that stuff for him.) We have probably spent more on marinas than the extra registration would have cost. Ah well, hindsight and all that...

Anyway, they are in a marina that is about half transients and half commercial fishermen. There is also a packinghouse at the marina and they sell fish. They had grouper, croaker, oysters, frozen crab cakes and garbage cans full of fresh shrimp. Bud and Rick bought 2 pounds of extra large shrimp for $7/lb. I think they are going to be eating well tonight.

The town also boasts a paper mill. So far the wind has kept the smell away. They are hoping the wind holds.

They made about 58 statute miles today. The log on the boat said 50 nautical miles, but that's not correct because it can't correct for the current. They think they have about 50 miles left to Charleston, so they should be there tomorrow. I hope they enjoy it. I'm a big Tim Conroy fan and have wanted to visit Charleston since reading South of Broad. Hope I get to see a bit of it before we leave.

11/19/2010 | Chad and Jim and Gram
Well Jim and I are here and anxious to read all about your exciting adventures on the high seas.
11/19/2010 | CHARMAINE
Hail Captain of the Earendil, didn't get a chance to say so-long, before you left, I feel bad about that. I'm reading your progress, and, the adventures you're having. I hope you have a safe trip to Flordia. Happy Thanksgiving!
11/19/2010 | Charmaine
Bud, I always forget to put the 020 after my name on my Email, hope to "hear" from you soon, Sis.
11/20/2010 | Paul VanVoorhees
Sounds like excellent progress. For Fuzzy's comfort, you shouldn't worry about running the outboard: If it's 2-stroke oil you're talking about for the dinghy motor, any chandlery has MMMA TCW-3 rated oil. If it's a 4-stroke, any good 10w-30 or 10w-40 that is NMMA FC-W rated will be perfect. Again a standard Chandlery item. You do NOT need the manufacturer's oil, since motor manufacturers don't make oil -- they sell re-badged oil made by, you guessed it, oil companies.
A Hard Run
Jill (Second Hand)
11/17/2010, North Myrtle Beach, SC

I think Bud needs a break. More bridges today, and more channels and more groundings. There's been nothing serious, but Bud has bumped the bottom 5 or 6 times in the last couple of days. Bud has made 35 to 50 nautical miles every day for the last 10 days. He and Rick Samson did just under 60 nautical miles today. They have 2 more days to push to make it to Charleston. They are on track to get there Friday, but they can take an extra day if they need it.

The engine continues to run OK. Bud isn't finding any more leaking oil and the engine doesn't seem to be using oil. He ran it at 2600 rpm today and it ran fairly smoothly.

Today the bridges didn't work out as well as yesterday. They waited for at least two. While trying to wait in opposing wind and current for one bridge, Bud tried to make a circle keeping to one side of the channel. He kept a bit too much to one side and went aground but was able to back right off again. They missed the last bridge of the day, today, and had to wait 50 minutes. That put them into the marina right at dusk. There was shoaling reported at the entrance so he called ahead to make sure our 5' 10" draft would make it. The marina gave them directions and they never had less than 11 feet of water under them. At least that worked out.

11/17/2010 | Skip
I think Bud and Samson should go out into the Big O about 20 miles, turn right, and head for Florida. They would make about 200 miles a day, with 3-hour watches at night, and 4-hour watches during the day. By the way, I have started a new business, called "Fuzzy Heaven on Earth Retirement Homes". I already have dealers up and down the East Coast. As a Charter Member, you can sign up for $50. I will arrange to have Fuzzy picked up at your next stop. Nobody can beat that deal.
11/18/2010 | Jim Bebee
Bud, as to your engine problems I suggest that you do what young men have been doing for decades, turn up the stereo!! Jim
11/18/2010 | Jon and Arline
Hi guy's, We are in Stuart and have our drinks all we need is the both of you!!!!!!! Very warm here today.
Bullets, Bridges, Mud…and Dolphins
Jill (Second Hand)
11/16/2010, Wrightsville Beach, NC

This morning the guys motored through Camp Lejeune. They came to a sign that said "Do Not Pass This Sign If Lights Are Flashing, Live Artillery". The lights weren't flashing, but they could hear firing in the distance. There were also warnings on the barrier islands about unexploded ordinance. Altogether not a very inviting place. Bud said the anchorage did look nice as they went by.

They had a lot of swing bridges to get past today. Most of the bridges open on a schedule, either on the hour, or every half hour. Bud was worried about the timing, especially since he really didn't want to push the engine. As it was, they managed to get through all of the bridges with a total wait time of only about 15 minutes. At one bridge, the bridgemaster opened the bridge early for three tugs taking through dredging equipment and pipes. Bud and Rick were able to follow them through, and then the tugs waved them ahead. At the last bridge of the day, the bridgemaster waited 10 minutes for them, and then held the bridge open for 5 minutes while they made the last half-mile.

Bud called me this morning about the engine. This evening he told me just after he called he had the boat on autopilot in a narrow channel. He was trying to gather up the charts and get them below and put on his rain suit as it was about to rain. He was at the front of the cockpit when the autopilot started to behave really strangely. When he stepped back to the helm, he saw his set course had taken them about 50 feet outside the channel and the depth gauge was reading about 2 and a half feet. Since our depth gauge is not offset to read either at the waterline or below the keel; that meant we had 30 inches of water from just next to the keel to the bottom. The keel is a bit more than 30" deep. The autopilot was trying to correct the course when the boat was aground. Bud was able to quickly get it out of the mud and back in the channel, but he felt lucky.

The day wasn't all negatives. They saw another group of dolphins, around 20 or so. Bud thought they were feeding and they swam right along next to the boat. He said their swimming was almost silent and they were so close you could hear when they took a breath through their blowholes.

Since Bud and Rick made such good time with the bridges, they got to the place they wanted to stay at 3:15, so they made their way to the anchorage. The anchorage was in an inlet, just west of the barrier islands, and just outside the route of the Intracoastal. The entry to the inlet was shallow, but once inside it was fine. The inlet went back along the Intracoastal for about 3 miles to a fixed bridge. Unfortunately, the anchorage was crowded and they had to go almost to the bridge before they could drop the anchor. The wind was blowing down the length of the inlet and blowing the boat towards the bridge. There are thunderstorms predicted for tonight, and the wind is supposed to pick up to 20 to 25 knots. Bud decided he'd never sleep a wink for fear of dragging anchor and clipping the mast on the bridge. So they pulled the anchor back up and went back out the inlet to another marina. Bud said had the wind been from another direction they would have had a perfect spot, only about 150 yards from a dinghy dock, so Fuzzy could be easily rowed ashore. We anticipate spending most of our time at anchor, but so far on this trip it isn't working out.

The engine ran fine all day. Bud checked after 3 hours of running easy and there was no oil leaking. He ran it hard a couple of times, but hadn't had a chance to check the leak before I talked to him. I'm feeling pretty confident that they'll make it through the week without a problem. If their luck holds they'll make it to Charleston, SC, and that's where Bud will wait for me to get back.

Meanwhile, while Bud and Rick are basking in 70 degrees and viewing dolphins, my grandson and I have the flu, back up in Michigan.

11/16/2010 | Sharon E Seager
I'm in awe regarding your "Authoring Skills" Jill. This will be your beginning of one of your books on the life and tribulations of Fuzzy, Bud & Jill......You make it seem like I'm watching a good movie, but blind-folded! I love it, a big THANK YOU ! take care to all
11/16/2010 | sharon
Joanne & Lee Horn arrived in Punta Gorda last Wednesday, 11/11......we jsut missed them, Pete was at the Dr's getting his cat scans--no results yet---tomorrow big day for that.
11/17/2010 | Rich Bebee
Jill - I'd like echo the authoring note! This is so exciting for me as I know a lot of that water. My good friend lived in Oriental for a number of years. It is a neat town with some "interesting" characters. Do you plan to stop in Key West? - Rich
Dolphins Sighted
Jill (Second Hand)
11/15/2010, Swansboro, NC

Bud called this morning to see if I could perhaps look something up for him on the computer. He has our computer; he has Internet access. He does not have patience. Anyway, while we were talking he saw a dolphin, then two, then 6, then a whole pod! They came right up to the bow of the boat. Bud had the engine in neutral and had abandoned the helm to go look at them. The boat was drifting a bit. He tried to take a picture, but is not sure if he got a good one (it's a digital camera, but he didn't know he could review the picture he took - did I mention he has no patience for electronics?). I just checked the email and a message was sent with the title photos, but nothing was attached, so I'm sorry folks, still no new photos.

By the end of the day they had made 45 miles and were in Casper's Marina in Swansboro, NC. They could have gone farther, but they would be heading into Camp Lejeune. There is a very nice dredged anchorage there, but it had two drawbacks. First, you're not allowed to go ashore, so if they took Fuzzy to pee they'd have to stay in the dinghy! Second, it's reported that during maneuvers the Marines might come out in the middle of the night and ask you to leave. Finding your way through marked channels in otherwise shallow water at night is not a fun thing to do, not to mention loss of sleep.

There was also an anchorage in the area where they stopped, but Active Captain reported it required anchoring "Bermuda style" and Bud was afraid that meant using a bow and stern anchor, and our stern anchor isn't set up. When he got to Casper's he saw two other boats anchored quite close right in the channel. Whatever "Bermuda style" is, it didn't appear to involve two anchors or anything unusual.

Bud has been trying to take it easy on the engine. At 2600 rpm it has developed a rattle. Bud thought it was one or more of the engine mounts. He checked them today and they looked OK. The propeller shaft still seems fine. There is an oil leak at the engine near the starter. Bud is afraid it's the rear seal. He's just hoping it holds together until the end of the week. Then he will hold up somewhere that hopefully has some marine service and parts and take a look at what is going on. At least it was close to 70 degrees today, and although it wasn't a bad day just north of Detroit in St. Clair Shores, it was no 70 degrees!

A Celebration and New Crew
Jill (Second Hand)
11/14/2010, Oriental, NC

Rick, Rick and Bud went to Gerogie's Restaurant in Belhaven, NC for their celebratory seafood dinner last night. Bud said the place looked like a throwback to 40 years ago and was packed. The choices in seafood preparation were steamed or steamed. Bud ordered shrimp, scallops and crabcakes and the guys split a half-peck of oysters. Once shucked that half-peck made about a cereal bowl full, but they were delicious. When the folks in the restaurant found out they were staying at Les's Marina, they all got free beer. At some time before the end of the meal both Georgie and his wife came out to talk to them. Altogether a satisfactory evening.

The next morning, Rick Sindoni took off in the rental car for New Bern. Rick Sampson and Bud had to wait out the fog to leave. Bud did his morning ritual of topping off the Racor filters. He said he has to use less diesel as time goes on. At about 8:30 AM the fog just disappeared and they took off.

Rick Sindoni called to say he'd turned in the rental and caught the shuttle to his hotel. He can have his room until 4 PM tomorrow, so he can relax and get cleaned up before his flight. Then he can take the shuttle back to the airport and home.

Bud and Rick 2 made over 40 nautical miles and were in a marina in Oriental, NC just after 3 PM. They went to Whitaker Pointe Marina. It's a brand new marina with beautiful docks and excellent facilities. It is a ways out of town. Bud said the grocery store was about 300 yards across the water and 3 miles by land. Fortunately, they also had a courtesy car, so Rick and Bud were able to restock the groceries. Bud called and asked where the laundry detergent was, so that's a good sign.

Rick is not an experienced sailor, so even if Bud had considered going outside as the storm off shore waned, he doesn't want to do it with inexperienced crew. A schooner there that is planning to go out at Moorehead City said they expected 40 mph winds. With two masts and smaller sails, they weren't worried, but our sails are a lot to handle in 20 knots, let along 35 or more. So I think the guys will stay in the Intracoastal. Even so, the dockmaster said they should be able to make it to Charleston in a week. We'll see what happens as the days go on.

Across the Line?
Jill (Second Hand)
11/13/2010, Belhaven, NC

Yesterday while Bud and Rick were crossing the Albemarle Sound, they were hearing conversations on the VHF radio that sounded like boaters in trouble with shallow water in the parts of the ICW they would be crossing today. As it turned out, they had no trouble at all. They had to watch the chart and buoys to make sure they stayed in the channel in both the Alligator and Pungo Rivers. The channel was generally 100 to 200 yards wide and about 15 feet deep. Another 50 yards outside the channel, it was 1 to 2 feet deep.

Because of the narrow channel it was another day of motoring, but they did fly the staysail in both rivers, although not in the cut between. The engine continued to run well, the staysail gave them an extra knot and they arrived at Belhaven at about 3 PM after racking up another 50 nautical miles.

They must have crossed some sort of line, because Bud called me at about 4 PM to ask me where the screen for the hatch was. They were having trouble with both flies and mosquitoes! Flies and mosquitoes when Friday morning they'd woken up to ice on the dock. Bud said it was about 70 degrees out.

Tonight is crew change night. Rick Sampson is coming in this evening. The guys are planning a good seafood dinner at a local restaurant, then tomorrow Rick Sindoni will take the rental car back to New Bern, NC, and after washing the only pair of jeans he brought, fly out Monday for Buffalo. Bud and Rick 1 did really well, pushing south almost 300 miles. And now when it's finally getting warm, Rick gets to go back to Buffalo. Fine reward, but thank you so much, Rick.

11/14/2010 | ken @barb
having fun following your progress

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs