Bookmark and Share
S/V Earendil
Hiking in Florida
01/09/2011, St. Augustine Municipal Marina

Well there was no fishing and no moving to a mooring ball today. We woke up to almost 25 knots of wind almost on the stern. Bud and I were outside at 6 AM moving the dinghy from where it was tied to the dock behind the boat. We put it between the bow of the boat and the dock where it is a bit more protected.

Besides the wind, it really didn't get very warm today. The high was about 52, but with the wind it felt cold. Gary called about 9 to say he didn't think he wanted to put his little fishing boat in the water and we agreed. Not only would the ride be rough, it would be wet, and combined with the cold and wind it didn't sound like fun to any of us.

Gary came over to the boat and we decided to just ride around and take a tour. We went out to look at the inlet; it didn't look like it would be fun to try that today. It might not have been quite as bad as the day we did Cape May Inlet, but then again, once you got out there, it might have been just as bad. Waves don't look as bad from the shore as they do once you're in them.

We continued up the coast and stopped at a place with beach access. We walked out and as soon as we came through the dunes the cold wind hit us. Big pieces of salt foam were being blown up and along the beach. Gary spent about 30 seconds out there and said he would wait for us in the truck. He's seen the beach and this was just too cold. Bud, Fuzzy and I lasted about two minutes longer. Even Fuzzy was happy to head back out of the wind.

Gary had mentioned a park with a trail through some woods. Bud wasn't too interested in that until we tried the beach. Then he said being in the woods might be a good thing. So we went to a conservation area that had trails and hiked back away from the ocean for a mile to a spot along the Intracoastal. It's been years since I hiked in Florida. I used to hike all the time when I lived in Tampa in the early '70's. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the woods here. And I had forgotten how cute the armadillos are. I don't remember seeing this many so close before. We probably saw 6 of them in the two miles we walked. Fuzzy was pretty interested in them. He was heading towards this one when I took the picture; the armadillo was fairly blasé about all of us and just turned and walked off when Fuzzy got too close. They were about a foot apart at one point, but of course I didn't have the camera out then.

We had hoped to go out this evening with Gary and his wife, Karen. But she had to work this weekend and didn't get done early today as she'd hoped. So Bud and I had a nice quiet supper on the boat. We've really enjoyed St. Augustine, but it would have been a lot nicer if it were about 15 degrees warmer.

Some Work & Some Play
01/08/2011, St. Augustine Municipal Marina

We started out today with a walk to "Sailors Exchange", a boat store that sells new and used boat stuff. We have a list of items we'd like for the boat and are hoping to find used. On the top of the list is a spinnaker pole that will fit the mount we already have on the mast. This store was a trip. It is not that large, but is crammed full of stuff that looks like it has been salvaged off boats. They had a number of spinnaker poles out back, none of which had the fitting we needed. They looked through their other hardware to see if they had the fitting that we could then attach to one of the poles they had, but they didn't have it.

We looked at several propane grills for the stern rail, too. We found one that was old but never unpacked and used, but the rail mount didn't look like it would work for us, and on further consideration it was probably bigger than we need and can fit. We ended up with three toggle switches (I've been having to replace the switches in our cabin lights that are wearing out) and a pulley to use to make it easier to zip up our mainsail stack pack.

Gary met us there which was nice because it was about a mile from the boat and it was good to have a ride home. Before we went back to the boat Gary took us to a bicycle shop not far from here. We've been looking for tires for the folding bikes. This shop happened to have two that would fit so we bought them both. This was the fourth bike shop we'd been to (two in Charleston and another here) and we were happy to finally find the tires.

Back at the boat I fixed a little lunch while Bud and Gary flipped the dinghy upright on the foredeck and put the registration numbers on it. They tied a lifting harness to it and after lunch used the spinnaker halyard to launch it. Then they used our mainsail preventer to lower the outboard engine to the dinghy. Bud started the brand new engine. He took it out for a trial run and then again for a bit to break in the outboard.

Meanwhile I put a new tire on one of the folding bikes. Both our folding bikes were out of commission. The one I was working on had a shredded rear tire. The other one is the one whose tube blew up while we were sailing.

So now we have a dinghy and engine and one bike all working. Since the dinghy is functional we may move to a mooring ball tomorrow, as long as the forecast for the night is not too cold. The NOAA website predicts 49 degrees for a low, which is fine. The TV forecast gave a low of 29 degrees for tomorrow. That's confusing.

After the work was done Gary and I talked Bud into walking around St. Augustine for a bit. We walked through the old streets a few blocks over to the fort, Castillo de San Marcos. Downtown St. Augustine is close to 100 per cent tourism. There are restaurants, bars, art galleries, street performers, and stores selling souvenirs and oddities everywhere. The photo is on the main pedestrian street (you can see Gary, Bud and Fuzzy walking ahead of me), but there are several of the old streets closed to cars. Even those open to cars are almost too narrow to handle them. Gary said it's a nightmare to park, but it's all very nice for those of us who come by boat.

I put a few pictures of St. Augustine in the gallery. I started a new album for Florida, to make it easier to view the photos. I also reversed the order of the photos in the old albums so the newest ones are at the top.

Florida Residency Established
01/07/2011, St. Augustine, Day Two

We've officially moved out of New York. Today Gary took us to Green Cove Springs, where our mail forwarding service is. We picked up our mail and they gave us paperwork and instructions on becoming Florida residents and getting Florida driver's licenses. The only problem was, you must present proof of citizenship and a social security card to get a Florida driver's license. I had put together all the documents I thought we'd need, but hadn't included my social security card (Bud had his in his wallet). So we had to drive all the way back to the boat (almost 30 miles) and then all the way back to Green Cove Springs. We filled out a proof of domicile form and had it recorded at the Clay County Courthouse. We then went and got Florida driver's licenses, registration for the dingy, and a Florida saltwater fishing license for Bud. We had to pay non-resident rates for the fishing license because we haven't been residents for 6 months.

By the way, we checked the regulations and we need to register the dinghy even though the boat is documented with the Coast Guard and not registered. We don't have to register the boat in Florida unless we are in Florida waters for 90 consecutive days or 183 days per year in total. So we chose not to register Earendil, only her dinghy. That whole process took until 1:30 PM. We treated Gary to lunch after that. He more than earned it!

We went to see Gary's house and he gave Bud tips on fishing here. Gary is an avid fisherman. He saved us a lot of money by letting us know that you really only need live bait to be successful fishing in these waters. Bud is anxious to try fishing. I'm anxious to try eating the fish.

Tomorrow we are going to put the registration numbers on the dinghy and figure out how to launch and retrieve it from the boat and how to get our new outboard engine on and off it. Then I think Gary and Bud might try some fishing from the dink. I'd like to get to see this town a bit. It's the oldest European city in the U.S. and the marina is right on the edge of the old town. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to walk around and take some pictures, the DMV was not very photogenic.

01/08/2011 | Bob
I believe congratulations are in order If the 'sofar' is any indication of the 'tocomes' you are
in for a very interesting adventure, I'm looking forward to the coming chapters.
Stuart told me how to work this form of communication - hope it works.

01/08/2011 | skip
Be sure and visit the old fort while you're there. It's really cool and they fire off one of the cannons.
St. Augustine at Last!
01/06/2011, St. Augustine Municipal Marina

The days never seem to turn out like I expect. And I'm still worrying about things that in the end are not issues. Today I was worried that there would be too much wind and the St. Augustine Inlet would be a problem, we would either go aground or face very rough seas (memories of Cape May Inlet came to mind). We had decided to sail the last leg, but the information we had said that the St. Augustine Inlet was shoaling and mariners should "seek local knowledge" before attempting to enter. I had talked to the folks at the St. Augustine Municipal Marina and they confirmed the shoaling, but said if we kept to the north side of the channel we should be OK. I also asked about the report that the channel could be very rough. They said it could get nasty if the seas were more than three feet. Well that had me worried because it's pretty common for the ocean have waves bigger than three feet.

I woke up at 4:30 listening to the wind and worrying about getting off the dock and getting back in the St. Augustine Channel. Bud wasn't sleeping too well either, and we were up and ready to leave early again. Happily the dockmaster at Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina was there before seven. Bud asked him where we could turn the boat in the marina, as it was pretty cramped. He offered to come help us turn the boat using lines. He did a great job, but even so, it was about the tightest situation we'd been in. The boat was being blown away from the dock, and the channel between the docks was not even as wide as our boat is long. The dockmaster pulled our stern around, but Bud needed to make about a 6 point turn to get us out of there. We got away clean. Great job, Bud.

We just made it out of St. Mary's Inlet in time. As we were heading out the very long channel we heard the coast guard checking on other boats and advising them that they had "an outbound event" and would need the channel clear. Something must have been happening with the subs. I thought the channel went about three miles out, but when I went down to plot the first point where we could comfortably turn and set a direct course to St. Augustine, it was closer to 8 miles out! We left the dock at 7 AM and didn't turn to set our course until 9:30. (About a half hour after we turned they shut the channel and that section of the ICW down.)

Once the course was set we saw we had about 48 nautical miles to the inlet buoy at St. Augustine. We needed to get to that buoy no later than 4 to get comfortably in before dark. The St. Augustine channel is shorter, but it would still be about another 3 nautical miles and one lift bridge before we got to the marina. We set our sails and the 15-knot wind from the west that was predicted proved to be 8 knots from the northwest. We were sailing nicely at between 5 and 6 knots, which would get us to St. Augustine well after dark. After about a half hour with no change and no improvement we broke down and turned on the engine. With engine and sails we were doing just over 7 knots, which is the pace we needed.

There wasn't too much wind, so far there was too little. We finally got a good amount of wind about an hour and a half from the buoy. We put the genoa back out (we'd taken it in when the wind died so much it wouldn't fill) and added the staysail and were sailing at 8 knots. Very nice. In the end we reached the buoy right about 3:30.

I called our friend Gary Gaskill back just before we reached the buoy. He lives near St. Augustine and had called and set a plan to come down and see us. I told him it looked like we'd be to the lift bridge at 4 and to the dock by 4:15. He was coming about 5.

We held to the north side of the inlet channel as instructed and had no issues. The waves were maybe a foot. We got to the lift bridge at 4:04. Bud had called the bridge on the radio to tell them we were coming hoping he'd hold the bridge (it opens on the hour and half hour). The bridge hadn't opened yet as we approached so we thought we were OK. Bud called the bridge again and the bridge tender told him it would open at the next scheduled time of 4:30. Thanks, guy. So we had to wait in the channel for another half hour. We motored back away for a while and then came up and Bud held the boat against the wind and a slight current for what seemed like a very long time, but was a little under 10 minutes. Finally the bridge opened (pretty much right at 4:30) and we were through. We did just over 61 nautical miles and were on the water for 9 hours and 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, Gary had arrived and both he and the dockhand were there to help us dock. After a quick tour of the boat and taking care of Fuzzy, Gary took us out to dinner at a local seafood place. I ordered their fresh catch, which was flounder, and was really good. We played typical tourist and asked our waitress to take a picture of the three of us.

We'll be staying here a few days. This was our first stated goal and it is great to be here. It's still cold tonight, we're still at a dock and plugged in for heat, but the day did get sunny, and as Bud said, "I am almost not cold." Which is as good as it's been since we left Wilson.

01/06/2011 | Stuart
Great Pic! You guys look like you just sailed for 9 hours... Gary looks good too!
01/07/2011 | jack gaskill
Welcome to Fla!! Time to thaw out. It looks like that meal will get you thru the next few days easily. :) GREAT Blog.
01/07/2011 | william duggleby

Very strange - no pics in the gallery since 3 November 2010! Great blog - it's got to warm up soon. Keep the faith.

Dugg & Chris
Loosing the Race with Winter
01/05/2011, Fernandina Beach, FL

We pushed on at dawn again. We took it easy and didn't leave the dock until 7:30 this morning because we were only going as far as Fernandina Beach, Florida. It was 36 nautical miles so we knew there was no problem getting here. This is at the Georgia, Florida border and St. Mary's Inlet. It would have been a great sail, except there was no wind. Instead there were clouds and rain and cold.

It was a nice ride anyway. At Jekyll Sound the ICW goes so far out that you actually look back on the Atlantic shore. You are still protected by large areas of very shallow water, but on a stormy day I imagine it would be a rough passage. Today the ocean was completely calm and I took a picture that looks more like Lake Ontario on a calm morning than the Atlantic Ocean, but it does show how far out the waterway takes you. I added it to the gallery.

Towards the end of the ride we came up to King's Bay and the Mayport Naval Station. It's a nuclear sub station. We had to monitor VHF channels 13 and 16 in case a sub was being moved. If one were, a three-mile stretch of the ICW would be closed. We saw this small sub right where the ICW joined King's Bay from the north. We're pretty sure this wasn't a nuclear sub, but it was my first sub sighting while boating.

At 1 PM we arrived in FLORIDA. It's 49 degrees and rainy. I'm still cold.

Since it was a short day I did laundry. Bud was helping me carry the laundry up to the bathrooms and laundry room, when who did we meet, but Dick and Kathy Platt. They had come down for the morning and decided to stop and check out the marina to see if maybe we were here. They had just seen a boat that they thought was ours (one of the furthest from the marina office and the bathrooms of course) when they spotted us. We chatted a few minutes, but it was cold and started to rain, so we said good-bye again.

There was a seafood store here and Bud bought fresh shrimp, which he is now turning into something that smells delicious. Tomorrow there is supposed to be a nice west wind so we are planning to sail the last leg to St. Augustine. The forecast for tomorrow night in St. Augustine is for a low of 38 degrees. We already have a dock reservation at the St. Augustine Municipal Marina. I so want to spend a night without needing heat!

01/05/2011 | Rich bebee
Jill & Bud,

I'll be in Key West beginning January 29th for a week and would like to connect if possible. How about dinner some night(s) - my treat??

01/06/2011 | Jon and Arline
Its 84 here need to be here.
Sometimes You Win
01/04/2011, Brunswick, GA

Two days ago we set out without a definite plan and ran into problems trying to plan on the fly. Today, I had everything worked out, we decided we would push hard to make the next listed marina, Two Way Fish Camp. We were concerned about two things. The first was getting through Little Mud River, which had reported shoaling, and it sounded like at low tide we might not be able to get through. The second was having time enough to make the 54-mile run between the two marinas. The solution to both seemed to be to get an early start. High tide where we were was at about 8:30 in the morning. Low tide where we stayed would be just before 3 PM. The problem is, the time of the tides varies by more than an hour, so we weren't sure of the time of low tide for Little Mud River. It seemed best to start early and try to beat the low tide, though. So that's what we did.

It's hard to judge how well you'll do because the current changes as you go. The ICW in this area goes from one sound to another along interconnected rivers and creeks that wind through the low country. As you pass from one sound to another you first go west, then south, then east. If the tide is flowing out, you will be going against the current when you are going west. Somewhere along the southern part the current will switch, and as you head east, you will be going with the current. It's the opposite if the tide is coming in. Since the currents can add or subtract up to a bit over 2 knots to your speed, if your engine will push you along at about 6 knots your speed over ground can be from 4 knots to 8 knots. We can see this easily, because the knot meter measures our speed relative to the water and the GPS and chart plotter show our speed over ground.

So we started out right at 7 AM, which is actually before sunrise. It was easy to see, though, and even the crab pots showed up well. We had already gone several miles when I took this picture of the sun rising over the low country. We are heading into St. Catherine's Sound and you can see the ocean on the right.

We continued on steadily. Little Mud River was towards the end of our planned run, so we were pushing all day to make it before low tide. There is not much you can do except to run the engine as fast as you're comfortable (and we are very conservative with the old Lehman Peugeot, parts are hard to come by). In any case, we came to Little Mud River at about 12:30 PM. We were just past maximum current, the tide was still rolling out and the current was with us for this part. The river itself was fairly narrow, so there weren't many channel markers. Bud tried to keep to the center and used the depth finder to tell him if he was getting too far over. At one point he did get out of the channel a bit and the depth dropped to 3' 10". Since our depth finder is on the bottom of the hull, next to the keel, you need to add a couple of feet to that for the actual water level. Bud said when we touched the bottom in the Hudson, the depth finder read 2' 7". Still, anything less than 6 feet on the depth finder makes us nervous. Bud had the engine slowed, but with the current we were still moving through there fairly quickly. In about a half hour we were through.

We talked about pushing right through to Brunswick, but didn't think we could do it. I called Two Way Fish Camp to make sure they could take us. They couldn't! It's a marina subject to strong currents, so they only like to put sailboats on the "T" ends of the docks where you can tie alongside and don't have to pull in. The "T" ends were all full, so we were out of luck. It was a good thing we'd made such good time so far, because now we had to go another 13 miles to the next marina. We weren't sure we could make it by 5 when the light starts to go.

The engine was running cool, so Bud sped it up by a couple of hundred RPM. At first the current (still ebb tide) was against us and we were doing less that 5 knots. Almost immediately we cut into a smaller creek and the current dropped and our speed increased to about 5.6 knots. Before too long we passed the high point on that part of the route and for the last 12 miles we had the current with us. At one point we were doing 9.3 knots. We ended up getting all the way to Morning Star Marina just outside of Brunswick by 3:30. We had gone 60 nautical miles.

We called the Platt's, who live only about 5 miles from this marina, cleaned up the boat and ourselves a bit and had a nice visit with them aboard. And we thought we'd have a hard time getting to Two Way Fish Camp. So much for plans.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs