Bookmark and Share
S/V Earendil
03/12/2011, Farmer’s Cay Yacht Club, Little Farmer’s Cay

We decided to walk to town today and see what we could find to restock our shelves. Last night the mail boat came in (yes, they came and left in the dark, I don't know how they do it since there are about two channel markers for every 10 islands around here). The day after the mail boat comes is always a good day to shop. Besides, I was on my last book. Most every marina and some of the restaurants, have book exchanges.

We packed up Fuzzy, my already read books, and our garbage and set out in the dinghy. We used a stern anchor again, but this time we went into the beach (the little bit sticking out over high tide) and then left the dinghy floating with a stern anchor to hold it out and a bow line to some rocks and a bush on shore to hold it in. I went into the marina and traded in about 5 of my books. I left those in a bag near where the dinghy was tied so I didn't have to carry them. Bud asked Roosevelt Nixon where the dump was. He was amazed that we wanted to walk that far, but gave us instructions. Now Little Farmer's Cay is one and a quarter miles long and three quarters of a mile wide, so it couldn't be too far.

We asked another young man to confirm the directions once we got closer. He not only gave us directions, but also asked a younger boy who was going our way to point the way out to us. Folks here are just like that. Everyone you pass on the islands says hello or waves. All of the kids are polite (and they are all fascinated with Fuzzy, and a bit afraid of him). Anyway, we made it to the dump. There was a dog tied out there, he looked like a typical junkyard dog and he barked as we walked up, but being a Bahamian junkyard dog, he wagged his tail when Bud walked by him to toss our garbage into the pit.

Next we hiked over to the main part of town where we ordered some bread (to be picked up at 6 PM) and found the local fisherman. We asked him his prices and since he was asking about $3 or $4 per fish, Bud asked him to pull out what would be $15 worth. He pulled out a pretty big grouper and a couple of snappers and a red hind. He filleted them for us while we went to the grocery store and went up the hill to the other restaurant in town (besides at the yacht club where we're moored) and had a drink. We were able to get oranges, potatoes and tomatoes at the grocery. Those won't last many days after mail boat day.

I traded the last of my books in Ocean Cabin (the other restaurant) and Bud signed their guest book. The owner is quite a character and gave us a typed sheet with a picture of the Little Farmer's Cay flag and a history of the island. A freed slave from Great Exuma and her three children settled the island. They bought the entire island and deeded it to their dependants to be held in common. The people who live here are obviously proud of their island and their history. We sat on the front porch of Ocean Cabin with Fuzzy and had our drinks. The photo is the view from where I was sitting. It's no wonder the folks who live here are happy and proud.

After our history lesson we went down and picked up our fillets and walked back to the yacht club and our dinghy. We divided the fish up and our $15 got us about three meals worth. Not a bad price. We fed Fuzzy and when we took him ashore we walked back and picked up our bread. Then we came back and had a dinner of fresh grouper grilled with ginger, garlic and soy sauce and fresh warm bread. We also had baked potatoes, coleslaw and a sliced tomato. Yum!

03/13/2011 | Bob
Question - do you know what day it is? Are you
to the point yet where it doesn't really matter to
keep track? My retired friends tell me that not knowing what day of the week it is presents a major step on retirement living.

Bud - can you get the local fisherman to give directions - or better yet let you be crew hand for a day - working your way to knowledge in this case doesn't sound like a bad way to spend a couple of days.
Hopefully you guys got the information I sent
back on the mystery hose.
Have you found out how to get the live conchs
yet - and how to make them into chowder - looks like you have lots to choose from. I aways wondered how you get them out of the
shell without breaking the shell. Do they have a similar taste to a clam? Love clam chowder.
Keep up the good 'work'.
The Front Fizzles and We Eat Fish, Finally
03/11/2011, Farmer’s Cay Yacht Club, Little Farmer’s Cay

Weather in the Bahamas seems to be a series of fronts with high-pressure ridges between. The times of high pressure have fair skies, but can be quite windy. The wind during times of high pressure is from the northeast, east or southeast, the prevailing wind here. Most of the islands have very nice anchorages along the western shores which are quite secure in fair, but windy weather. When a front comes through the wind first drops, then clocks around from to S to W to NW to N and back to east again. If it's a weak front the wind stays light the whole time and never builds until the high pressure is back.

The front that came through today was supposed to be stronger. At first the woman who gives the weather for the Staniel Cay area said that the folks anchored on the west side wouldn't have too much to worry about, as there would only be a few hours of wind from the west. We had already moved to the moorings here, and they are supposed to give all around protection, but there will be wind driven chop if the wind is from the northwest. There are no landmasses in that direction, but there are miles of shallow banks, so the waves don't get too big. This morning, the one weather guy that most of the cruisers listen to and many subscribe to, Chris Parker, said the winds here would be 17 to 22 knots from the northwest as the front passed and then tomorrow change to the north. The woman giving the Staniel weather suggested boats might want to move out of the western anchorages, as there could be 12 hours of 13 to 18 knot wind out of the northwest.

We could see the line of the front when we took Fuzzy to shore at 8:15 this morning, that's when I took this picture. I was worried about the boat's exposure to the northwest and thought we shouldn't go ashore today.

Walter, from the trawler moored with us, came over to help me with my Sailmail. Sailmail is a program that lets me send emails using the SSB radio and a modem. I'd bought all the equipment and the programs and Jeff Strothman (from TYC) had helped me set it up initially and we'd sent and received test emails. But since I got out here where I might want to use it, it hadn't worked. Walter came over and suggested I try to use the station in Rock Hill, NC rather than Daytona, FL. He also told me which frequencies work best at which times of the day. I sent several emails and learned how to get weather files. That was great information.

We got a bit of rain while Walter was on board as the front started through. The wind hadn't started yet. Around 1 or 2 in the afternoon the wind did pick up. At one point I think it got up to about 16 knots, but it seemed to be already NNW. Now, a few hours later, it's back down to about 10 to 12 knots and still more north than northwest. I think the boats could have stayed in the western anchorages and we certainly could have left the boat and gone to town today.

Since we stayed aboard Bud did have time to fix the fish. He ended up filleting it and made a fish curry that we ate over rice. There wasn't a lot of fish, but it was good.

Now Bud's out fishing again. So far he's had three strikes by big fish and lost three pieces of bait and one hook. He has a fish (maybe the one that's taken all his bait) on the line now. It's another Horse-Eyed Jack, so no dinner but he's having fun.

03/12/2011 | Stuart
Another trick I'll share with Buddy Boy is find yourself some mole crabs. The beaches are usually loaded with them and they're not all that hard to get. When you see it run into his hole you run over and start digging like crazy after him. He's generally not too far down although at times I've had my whole arm down that hole before I can get him, but when you do he's great bait. All you need is a piece of him on your hook and your chances of catching good eating fish increase. There's also things called sand fleas that you find right in the surf. When the surf pulls back look for them digging themselves in. At first they are a little hard to spot, but once you get used to seeing them you can't miss. If you find these, then you're set to catch pompano and that's good eating.
Another Fish Story, Still no Fish Dinner
03/10/2011, Farmer’s Cay Yacht Club, Little Farmer’s Cay

Bud did a little fishing off the boat again today. Using the ham scraps as bait, he soon caught a fish. I came up with the fish gloves and since this was a small fish he was able to bring it out of the water near the boat and I was able to grab it. No need to get in the dinghy to land this one. It was small enough that Bud intended to let it go, but when we got it on board, he found that it was hooked down into the gills and was bleeding. Bud couldn't get the hook out fast enough; the fish was quickly dying, so Bud dispatched it with the butcher knife.

Now the question was, what was it? It wasn't listed on our guide to South Carolina saltwater fishes, and it wasn't in the Florida Boater's Guide list of fishes. We found something like it listed in our reef guide (but no color photo). Since we have Internet here we did a web search and finally identified it as a Sand Filefish. It was supposed to be edible, and on examination, most of it's long narrow body was flesh, so there was probably enough to eat. There wasn't enough to fillet, though, so Bud was going to scale it. Before he went to that trouble he decided he should check with Roosevelt to see if it really was good to eat. So we wrapped the clean, but not scaled fish in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.

Bud talked to Roosevelt and found that it was good eating (and that our mooring was one of two used by the fuel boat and the pendant went down to a length of chain that was secured to a 10 foot long I-beam pounded into the bottom - that should hold us through the front). Then Bud went off in the dinghy to catch more fish.

Fuzzy and I stayed aboard Earendil, since I'd had a bit of a headache for the past couple of days and the sun makes it worse. While Bud was gone a trawler came in to pick up a mooring. I saw them cruise by the mooring ball, I knew the woman was looking for the pendant and not finding it. I radioed them and gave them the advice we had gotten from the kind folks here before us and also let them know which was the other mooring used by the fuel boat. They had trouble picking up the mooring even knowing to hook the ball because the pendants are short and their bow was high. After they finally managed to grab it, he came over to thank me. We chatted a minute and he asked me if our boat was a Norseman. I couldn't believe he knew what it was, since most folks have never heard of a Norseman, and certainly couldn't recognize one if they saw it.

Later, they both came by to ask if we might like to come over for drinks at 5. While they were alongside Bud got back, but with no additional fish. We said we'd come, so we fed Fuzzy early, took him ashore and then headed to their boat. We had a nice visit; they are from Minnesota and sail on Lake Superior. This is the first trawler they've ever owned but have sailed for years, up on the Lakes and in the Caribbean. Chatting among boaters being what it is, it was soon past dark. We finally took our leave with many thanks.

By the time we got back to the boat it was too late to scale and cook the fish, so we had vegetarian chili from a mix. We're getting close, but still no fish dinner!

03/11/2011 | Skip
Cool gloves. I've got to get me some of those.
Exploring Little Farmer’s; More Fish but No Fish Dinner
03/09/2011, Farmer’s Cay Yacht Club, Little Farmer’s Cay

It was pretty windy this morning. We hung out on the boat after taking Fuzzy ashore for his morning constitutional. After lunch we decided to walk in to town. For the town walk we tied the dinghy off at the dinghy dock at FCYC. Since the tide was falling and the wind was blowing towards shore, we tried a new technique that we've seen a lot of locals with small boats use. Bud tossed a stern anchor off and we tied the bow to the dock. We've been using the little Danforth type anchor that Gary gave us. It weighs almost nothing, but works like a charm. This is the first time we deployed it in rocks, and not sand, and it held.

Before we walked to town Bud stopped at the Yacht Club and asked the proprietor, Roosevelt Nixon (yes, that's his name) if there were any fish in these waters that you shouldn't eat. When he came out I asked Bud what he said. "He said there's only two, big Barracuda and the Horse-Eyed Jack." "He did not say that," say I, figuring this is Bud pulling my leg as usual. Oh, yes, he really said that. So our Big-Eyed Jack is known locally as a Horse-Eyed Jack and it just went from supper to fish bait. That took the lilt out of our gait.

We walked downtown anyway. There's not much to downtown Little Farmer's. This is the island that has 55 permanent residents. I took a picture of the main dock in town; the buildings are the government office, the fish market and the post office. Bud stopped at the liquor store and got a $20 bottle of gin. The guy who owned the liquor store was out front with two young men fixing an outboard motor, but he stopped when we came up and opened the store. He confirmed that Horse-Eyed Jack isn't to be eaten. You won't die, but you'll spend a lot of time on the toilet.

I took pictures of the cut from Exuma Sound between Great Guana and Big Farmer's. You can see the line of breakers where the outgoing tide was meeting the east wind. These cuts can get all but impassible with a strong tide meeting a strong opposing wind. Even today, it doesn't look like it'd be fun to go through it. I also took a picture of cotton plants that are now growing wild. They must be left over from two hundred years ago, when they tried to put plantations on these islands. All these pictures are in the gallery.

After we got back to the boat Bud tried fishing again. This time he hooked a nurse shark. It was probably at least four feet long. He didn't even try to land this one. We did get it close enough to try and cut the leader to set it loose, but as he finally worked it up to the side of the dinghy, the line broke at the leader, so the shark left with the leader and hook. While he was trying to bring in the shark, you could see a big Barracuda in the water, just hanging out and watching the shark. It was about 3 feet long. Bud's finally getting some excitement from fishing, but we still had just rice and vegetables for dinner.

03/11/2011 | Barb Walch
Hey, shark's good eating! Try heavier line!
Movin’ on Down – And a Fish is Caught
03/08/2011, Farmer’s Cay Yacht Club, Little Farmer’s Cay

We decided to leave Black Point today. The wind is supposed to gradually shift from ENE to E to SE over the next couple of days. This morning it was already close to east. Since we're going southeast, we'd prefer the wind to be ENE so we can sail so we decided the sooner we went the better.

Farmer's Cay, where we were headed, is only about 10 miles as the crow flies so we elected not to use the main. The wind was not too strong and played around from the ENE to further east and we sailed for the main leg of the trip. It was a pleasant sail, but we were only going between 4 and 5 knots.

Still, we got to the point where we had to turn in towards shore before noon. Bud didn't want to start in too early, as he didn't want the sun to be in my eyes as we turned east to make our way towards the islands and the cut between. There is no clear-cut deep route from the banks back into the cut between Little and Big Farmer's Cays, where we were headed. So once we doused the sails (genoa and staysail) I went up on the bow with my radio headset on and watched for rocks as Bud turned in. The chart book said to go to where you could lay a course of 90 degrees true to the white house on the hill. At first we couldn't see a white house on the hill. Then I saw what looked like a grey house and checked with the binoculars. With the binoculars I could see that it was a white house, but the side we were looking at was in the shade, so it looked grey. Once Bud was satisfied that was the house, he laid the course. The electronic chart said we were passing over areas that were 5 feet deep at low tide. We were about 18 inches above low tide (and the tide was falling) but Bud never saw anything below 9 feet on the depth gauge.

Once we got close to the island and followed around and got in the cut we could see pretty well where the channel was. Our next problem was to pick up a mooring ball in front of the Farmer's Cay Yacht Club. I wanted to stay there because they have free WiFi, and I was hoping we could get close enough to have Internet aboard. So we headed for the mooring ball closest to the club. Bud brought the boat slowly up to the mooring ball and I looked for the pendant, the line you grab and hook to. I didn't see one, so I just grabbed the mooring ball, itself. Another boat was moored there and it looked like they were tied right at the mooring ball, so I thought perhaps the ball was hooked directly to the end of the pendant. I got the ball and lifted, and the line that came up was pretty small, so I dropped it and told Bud that mooring wouldn't work, we should go to the next one. We didn't like the position of the next one (seemed too exposed to the north) and when I lifted it, I saw the same thing. Meanwhile, the folks who were moored there called us on the radio. Bud told me they said the pendant was tied to the end of the line the mooring ball was on. So we circled back and grabbed the first one again. As soon as I had it, Bud came up and helped me get the pendant aboard. In short order we were secured. And I have Internet on the boat. Yeah! But it's $20/night, not $10, like we thought. The picture is looking at the FCYC from the cockpit of Earendil. Out beyond the club you see the Exuma Banks. (That's now in the gallery - the fish shot having taken precedence as the shot of the day.)

We met our neighbors, Paul and Carol Cook aboard s/v Odysseus. We went ashore and paid and had a look around. We took Fuzzy back ashore after supper and took a bit of a walk. This is a good spot for Fuzzy; there are sand roads, no traffic (no leash) and no burs, either. We are so close to shore that Bud elected to row back and forth both times (we do have the engine on the dink, just in case).

We've moved again and are in another lovely spot enjoying more lovely weather. This is not bad at all.

Late breaking news! First fish is caught by Buddy! He was out after supper in the dark fishing with ham scraps for bait using the pole given to us by Eon Verrill (thanks Eon, TYC comes through again). The fish fought well, but Bud was able to land him into the dinghy, which was tied alongside. He got into the dinghy with a bottle of rum and a butcher knife and was able to subdue the monster which on closer inspection below decks turned out to be a 21 inch Big-Eyed Jack. Fish for dinner tomorrow!!

03/08/2011 | darren Eadie
Nice fish Bud 21" Jack should be great eating. You should check with locals every where you moor to see what maybe running and what they are hittin on Have you tried trolling a long line while you sail like the 10 mile sail you just finished. I remember a sail in Jaimaca where small fish were caught and cooked while the booz cruze sailed on.

Have fun,
03/08/2011 | STuart
Bud, get youself any kind of small metal spoon and you'll catch Jack's until you can't hold the pole! They're best eaten at once and bleed them ASAP. They're great bait when you get outside. Wahoo love them! Get one around 10" and put a hook in his mouth with the point up. Let him swim slowly at about 4 knots behind the boat and hold on.
03/08/2011 | Stuart
Another note regarding your short sails or even crossing the gulf stream. Find yourself a small metel head feather jig and troll it about 30 yards behind the boat at 5 to 7 knots. It should skip in and out of the water when it's working right. It shouldn't take long to hook a Dolphin (Mahi - Mahi). Now you're talking good eating. IF you do hook one leave him in the water next to the boat for a few minutes to see if he's running in a school. If he is, you'll have the whole school next to the boat as long as you keep him in the water. At that point you can throw anything and you'll catch fish.
07/30/2011 | Justin Hilbert
Nice! We hit a couple fifteen pound bigeyed jacks the otherday spearfishing 26 mile offshore of costa rica. My jack fought so hard that I lost a fin and had trouble surfacing with him, He kept pulling me down. Those big eyed efinitely can be a hard fighting fish!
Justin Hilbert (Jaco sportfishing)
Wash Day for Everyone
03/07/2011, Black Point, Great Guana Cay

There was no wind last night or this morning. Bud has trouble sleeping when things are so quiet, but I don't. I did wake up early, as usual, and stuck my head up into the cockpit to be greeted by the still and beautiful dawn in this photo.

We took advantage of the quiet to do wash again. It's a lot easier to lug in four loads of wash and get it back to the boat intact and dry if the wind is still and the bay like glass, which it was today. We got to the laundry at about 8:15 and again had to wait for the woman who owns it to come and open up. A lot of other boaters had the same thought and by the time the laundry opened there were enough folks waiting that I only got to put in 3 or my 4 loads. It still didn't take too long to get the wash done, even in two shifts.

We left the folded laundry in the Laundromat and walked down to use the internet again. We had drinks at Scorpio's and got on line there, but the response time was still too slow to call phones on SKYPE. So we went a couple of doors further and bought a $5 phone card from Batelco. We went to the phone booth in front of their office so I could talk to Jamie, our daughter. As I went to go in the phone booth I noticed that we were right next door to the police station. It was such a little office that I hadn't noticed it when we walked by. Then I noticed the even smaller building next door. It was painted the same bright blue-green, but had bars in the windows. It was the jail. I took a photo for the gallery.

After we got back and ate lunch we did some chores and then both took a swim and washed. For once it was reasonably warm. I even used the cockpit shower and gave Fuzzy a bath.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs