Bookmark and Share
S/V Earendil
A Trip to Town and the Library
04/05/2011, Back at Monument Beach, Elizabeth Harbour

Things were getting desperate for me on board. I was down to my last unread book. We are planning to head out tomorrow to Long Island and I didn't see anything in either guide book about a book exchange there. I needed to get to town. The wind was supposed to be down today, so about 9:30 we loaded up and headed across the harbor to Georgetown. It still seemed rough, so the computer went in the computer bag, and then in the zippered and rubber lined Earendil bag, and then in a black garbage bag with a twist tie. We also took one 5 gallon water jug and three one gallon water jugs, to top off our water. My 6 books to trade at the library (they do lending and trading) were in the Earendil bag. Fuzzy rode in the frontpack. Fuzzy and I stayed dry in the bow, but Bud got splashed pretty badly where he sits.

I'll post a picture of the library when I get a chance. It's open from 10 'til noon, 6 days a week. It seems to be run mostly by and for the cruisers. It cost me $3 for a year's dues and I got to trade in the 6 books I've read for 6 new ones. I'm down a few books because I gave another boater 3 books and she was going to bring me three the next day, but then we missed them and haven't seen them since. Also, at one place on Little Farmer's, they wanted two books to give you one. I had three books to trade, so only took two. That makes me down 4 books from where I started. That may prove to be critical. (I also have a couple of books that were given as
gifts that I won't trade.) Anyway, I also went on-line and got the blog posted and tried to make some phone calls. The phone kept disconnecting, so that was pretty frustrating.

It was still windy on the way back and Bud had trouble again getting the dinghy to plane with the computer, books, a few more groceries and 8 gallons of water. I was way up on the bow with Fuzzy. Again I stayed pretty dry until right at the end. I moved part way back so Bud could slow the dinghy, but then when I thought everything was fine, bud slowed some more and we did the water over the bow thing again, and I got soaked. Happily the computer and books stayed dry inside their layers.

I'll keep trying to post these via Sailmail, you'll see them once I'm successful!

Another Hike up Monument Hill
04/04/2011, Back in Georgetown, Monument Beach

I've been having trouble getting connected to Sailmail. It could be bad radio propagation, it could be that my modem was set too low, and it could be that our batteries
weren't charged enough. We've been trying not to run the generator, but the wind has not been that strong, and although the batteries have been OK, they haven't
been totally charged. So today we ran the generator for about two and a half hours and got them completely charge. Of course by then it was noon and that's the
worst time of day to transmit because of atmospheric interference from energy from the sun. So I'm going to try again this evening, hopefully all three entries will go.

We're waiting on a weather window to go to Long Island. There is a front coming through tomorrow night. In the States it brought 60 and 70 knot winds, in the
northern Bahamas the winds might gust to 40 to 50 knots. Here, there may be no squalls at all, but we may get some, so it's best to stay in a harbor that has protection
from all directions. If the front passes by Wednesday morning we'll probably leave then.

Meanwhile, we took another hike up to the monument today. Bud tried to get a picture of how steep the one section of trail is. I'll add the picture he took of me
carrying Fuzzy in the front pack. You can kind of get the idea from that. The weather has been perfect again the last couple of days. Hot in the sun, but cool in the
shade and the wind blows hard enough to keep you from getting uncomfortable. Plus the water is finally getting warm.

Since we were just hanging out today Bud took the time to cook a beef roast he bought. It was only about $5 a pound, which didn't seem too bad. He made a pot
roast, cooking it slowly on the stove for three hours. It came out really good, and because of the breeze, didn't even overheat the boat. We just finished eating and
the sun is going down, so I'm going to wrap this up and hope I can finally connect and post these.

I never got them posted. I came to Georgetown, got on the Internet and copied the entries from my Sailmail entries and emailed them to myself so I could get them from the Windows side of my computer to the Mac side. Argg!

Feeding the Rays
04/03/2011, Back in Georgetown, Monument Beach

Bud and I were hanging out this morning when the folks on Shamrock (yes, another Shamrock) called on the radio. They had mentioned the other day that they had a book that had fish
identification and eating quality. They had invited us to come over and see it and were repeating their invitation, so Bud, Fuzzy and I dinghied over to see them. John and Debby are
anchored right next to us here, so it was a quick dinghy ride. Not only did we get to look up the fish Bud caught (which we narrowed down to one of two edible Jacks) we also got to pick
their brains about other aspects of cruising. John gave me some more tips on using Sailmail, so hopefully this evening I'll get both yesterday's and today's blogs posted.

After a nice visit with them we decided to go back over to Volleyball Beach. Bud joined in a couple of games. I managed to snap a photo of him serving which I'll put in the gallery. We
bought conch salad on the beach. I didn't realize that it was made with raw conch, but they use enough lemon, lime and orange juice and hot sauce to nicely marinate it. It was pretty
good. Bud ordered his hot and mine medium hot. We ended up mixing some of them together, because Bud's was really too hot (even for Bud). We brought Fuzzy's food along with us, so
we could feed him, too.

We had noticed a guy feeding a ray earlier in the afternoon. When we went to leave a ray was still hanging around the beach so Bud asked the guy who made the conch salads about
feeding them. He told Bud you just hold the food flat on your hand and the ray will swim over your hand and take it. He said they have little fish teeth, not big shark teeth, so you could feel
their teeth if you curled up your fingers, but they wouldn't really hurt you. He told Bud he could feed them the conch guts he had on the bench he used to clean the conch. So Bud took a
big piece and waded into the water and the ray came right over. Bud fed it and then the ray let him rub it on it's top side near it's eyes. A second ray came up and Bud got another piece of
conch gut and ended up with two rays at his feet and he fed them both. I got a few pictures, I'll post the best one with this entry when I can. It shows the first ray eating out of Bud's hand.

04/06/2011 | Bob
I'm using your comment field because I don't know if you are getting the emails to the other
old address.(Did you get the one on the plastic
pipe for the engine water?) I got a call from Marc
to tell me that Jeff is planning on leaving Florida in may for Belize, just in case you might want to tag along. It appears that the
plane fares are not much more than from Florida. Just notes. Bob
ARG Meeting
04/02/2011, Back in Georgetown, Monument Beach

First, let me apologize for the blank entry. This time when I wasn't able to send my posting I did not make the mistake of retyping it and having a double posting sent. When I finally got a
clear channel I saw that it wasn't sending the blog entry. So I just clicked on the sailblogs window and clicked send again. And it sent a blog with just the location and author because
that's pre-filled in the format. I still don't know where what I type in this window gets stored or why the last time it was still there and this time it is not.

Anyway, there wasn't too much wind today, so we did make it to Georgetown and I did add in the photos for the blog. We also took all the laundry to town. Bud made a trip back with the
laundry and the computer and brought back the water jugs. He'd again made an early morning trip with them, so had already brought aboard 15 gallons today. This was now his thrid trip
back because he bought some groceries and took those back while I was doing the laundry and going on-line. On the fourth and final trip back for the day there was Bud, Fuzzy, me and
17 gallons of water. It proved to be too much for the 9.8 HP Tohutsu. Bud couldn't get the dinghy up on plane. He slowed down once and we did the whole water over the bow thing
again. This time he bailed us out as we went along. It wasn't that wavy, but it was enough that without planing we were splashed continually. We were all soaked by the time we got back
to the boat. Happily it's hot enough these days that it felt good. Fuzzy and I rinsed off using the cockpit shower and Bud went down and used the shower in the the aft cabin. I tried to
keep my clothes on until they dried, but gave up and changed and hung all our rinsed clothes on the lifelines for the rest of the day. They still didn't quite dry, I'll have to hang them out
again tomorrow.

Towards the end of the day I saw another boat coming towards the anchorage that looked a lot like a Norseman. I got out the binoculars to see if I could tell, but they ended up coming
right by us, so I called out to them as they passed and they confirmed it was a Norseman. This is only the second one we've seen, the first was Miclos III with Tisch and Ellen at Stuart.
We'd wanted to see them again out here, but never had.

Meanwhile, Bud and I were getting ready to go ashore for an ARG meeting. This was announced on the local cruisers VHF net. ARG is "Alcohol Research Group" and the meeting is a
BYOB and munchie to share get together held at irregular intervals on beaches around the harbor. So we prepared our stuff and headed ashore. On the way we went down to check out
the Norseman. It's Barefootin' from Charleston, SC and Bob, Francie and boat dog Kippin were in the cockpit so we got to talk. They had sailed with Tisch and Ellen and another
Norseman. At the time Miclos had emailed us hoping we could make it to where they were, we figured 4 Norseman together on the east coast would be a record. Alas, we didn't make it,
but at least we're meeting Barefootin' now. They were not going to the ARG meeting, having just gotten in from Long Island. We chatted with them and made plans to meet again before
we left the harbor, then Bud and I went ashore.

By now we were late, but of course you can't really be late for something like this so we just joined the group. Since everyone comes by dinghy, there is much less alcohol research than
the name implies. It is a nice time where cruisers get together and talk boats and weather and cruising and anything else that comes up. We met some folks we'd seen here and there
before and set some tentative plans to leave together this week to go down to Long Island. If that happens it will be the first time since leaving Wilson that we have traveled from one port
to another with other boats. It would be nice, I hope it happens. I took a photo of the ARG folks at sunset that I'll post on the blog the next time I get real internet access.

Waiting on the Wind
04/01/2011, Back at Monument Beach, Elizabeth Harbour

This morning there wasn't too much wind, so while I walked Fuzzy on the beach, Bud made a run to Georgetown for water. The photo I will post is of Bud coming back in to pick us up on the beach, Earendil is lying at anchor behind us. Bud made a second run soon after, that put 30 gallons more in the tanks. The water here is free, but you have to haul it in jerry cans, as it's at the dinghy dock at Exuma Market, through the little underpass and into Lake Victoria. I had tidied up the boat and gotten the wash together, but by then the wind had picked up and we thought it was too windy to make the trip with the computer and all the clothes. We thought the wind was going to die during the day, although we didn't get a decent weather report because Chris Parker's antenna blew down (I think that's the deal). Anyway, we waited for the wind to die, but it didn't. It finally dies about 4:30 in the afternoon, which was too late to do the laundry.

There's supposed to be a period of light winds, I just hope all the light winds don't happen at night. We still need to get to town. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

04/03/2011 | Bob
If you happen to get a chance and don't mind giving out the information. Can you take a little
time and explain not just what you are doing but
a little on what the emotional experience is now that you are getting into doing what you spent so much time preparing for. Since many of us are still working at what we do to be employed (Please note: this does not mean we
are unhappy) - but sharing a little of what it is
like to be able to concentrate on 'living a hard
sought after dream' would be entertaining (at least to me) - not meant to be too personal, just informative.
Volleyball Beach
03/31/2011, Back at Monument Beach, Elizabeth Harbour

We spent the morning cleaning up ourselves and the boat. I always have a pile of dishes to do after a sailing trip because I usually do the dishes first thing in the morning, and if we have a long day planned and need an early start the dishes just get stacked. By the time we get to our destination and get anchored etc. it's usually time for supper, so the dishes end up waiting for the next morning. Bud spent some time trimming Fuzzy's feet. He really tries to keep after the Fuzzy trimming, because it takes so long he can't do all of him at one go. We ran the generator and so had hot water, so we took showers and I gave Fuzzy a shower, too.

We wanted to go into the beach where all the cruisers congregate. We'd not been there at all our last trip to the area. Around noon, when everything was done, the wind was blowing from the ESE at from 18 to 20 knots. That gave the waves the long fetch of the harbor to build, before they got to us, so we decided not to attempt the wet dinghy ride. We hung out, I read, Bud tried to nap, and finally at about 3 the wind dropped to 8 to 10 knots, so we set out.

It was late in the day and it's relatively late in the season, so I think the beach was practically deserted compared to normal, but still there were 30 or 40 cruisers there. Bud joined in a game of volleyball. They supposedly play dominoes there, too, but we saw no domino games today. I can see why the beach is attractive. As you can see from the picture I took it has a small grove of mature Casuarina trees (or Australian Pine, as I first knew them) and so has SHADE, a scarce commodity in the Bahamas. We hung out for a couple of hours and renewed our acquaintance with the folks on Shamrock and Tropical Hideaway who we'd first met at Warderick Wells. I'm sure we'll be back, I'm determined to find a dominoes game, and I'd like to find out where to buy a set of dominoes.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs