Bookmark and Share
S/V Earendil
First Day at Thompson Bay
04/07/2011, Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas

We went in to the settlement of Salt Pond today. That is the biggest area of development along Thompson Bay and that is where the government dock is, which means it's where the mail boat comes on this side of the island. Long Island is 80 miles long (and only about 4 miles wide), and I think there are only two government docks and one government basin; here and Clarence Town, which is just a bit south of this and on the eastern side of the island, have docks. Simms, north of here and on the western side of the island has a "Government Basin". I assume the mail boat comes there and anchors and they use small boats to offload goods.

Salt Pond doesn't have a lot. It does have a very nice resort with a restaurant and WiFi, so I'm not even going to try the Sailmail postings while we're here. Bud also went into Harding's Supply and Grocery Store and tried (again) to get a large funnel to replace ours that has a tiny crack. No funnel. He did find non-stainless hose clamps to use in an emergency (no stainless available) and batteries. The last two times we've anchored we had no communicators. I thought the salt water was already getting to them, turns out to be the batteries. We also decided not to keep our batteries in the freezer. Since the temperature in the freezer goes up and down a lot we found the batteries we'd stored there got wet and had started to rust. We also got new batteries for our dive light, so now we have an underwater light that works.

After the shopping we went back to the Long Island Breeze and had a drink and conch fritters (nice dip here) and used the Internet. Like most places down here there was an area of outdoor seating where we could take Fuzzy. Bud took this picture off the deck near where we sat looking out over the government dock and some of the local fishing boats. A cruiser who's been here before told us that the biggest fishing fleet in the Bahamas used to anchor here, but there are few boats left. This may be because they are out fishing, or it may be because the fishing industry has hit hard times with high fuel prices and the economic downturn. The Bahamas really feels any downturn in the US because tourism is the number one industry.

The whole of Salt Pond is about a mile dinghy ride from where we are. I took a picture of the bay when we took Fuzzy ashore. It shows Earendil and way off in the distance, too far to really see, is where we went today. Anyway, Bud and I plan to stay another couple of days and actually do the tourist thing and rent a car and view the island. More in future posts.

We Made it to the Tropics
04/06/2011, Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas

The Tropic of Cancer circles the globe at about 23 degrees, 26.28 minutes. Today we sailed a bit south and more east to Long Island, and along the way we crossed into the tropics. Yeah! Of course, the time to be in the tropics is January and February, but hey, we'll take what we can get. At least we made it.

We lifted anchor in Elizabeth Harbour, Georgetown at just about 9 AM. We put the main up and motor-sailed out the south entrance. It's a long way out, about 5 miles with 5 separate way points to guide you between the reefs. There are actually 3 channel markers going out this way. We didn't have any trouble, but I did spend most of the time on the bow looking for reefs, coral heads or shallow water. I could see the reefs to either side of us, but there was plenty of room between.

When we got out of the harbor and turned for the first part of our course we put up the jib, but there wasn't enough wind to sail. The jib was giving us about another 0.3 knots, so we left it up. For a while we were using main, jib, staysail and engine. We tried a couple of times to shut the engine down, but each time our speed dropped below 5 knots, and since we needed to get anchored and get Fuzzy ashore by early evening, we put the engine back on.

It was a pretty nice sail for a motor sail. We noticed that the undersides of the cumulus clouds were blue-green from the reflection of the water. I'll put a picture of one of the clouds in the gallery. Then we started to see dolphins. About three different pods came along side and swam at the bow for a few minutes before taking off. I got several pictures, and I'll post the best of them when I get internet again. It shows one of them just under the water looking down from where I was on the bow. You can see the bow pulpit and the anchor (the mighty Rocna) above the dolphin.

Finally, the predicted increase in wind came through, only about 6 miles from the anchorage. We were making about six and a half knots with main and jib, no engine. The wind changed direction by about 30 degrees, and then kept going back and forth for a bit, so I was busy trimming sails. Too bad it waited so long, the whole trip was 34.5 nm; we could have used the wind sooner.

This is a big bay and there are only 12 boats in this part of it, so there was no problem anchoring. Bud came as close to the shore as he dared, so we wouldn't have to go so far with the dinghy to take Fuzzy ashore. The whole bay is less than 10 feet deep, so it was a bit nerve wracking to come this far in. We're in about 7 feet of water and it's low tide now, so we should be good. We got here about 3:30, so we tidied the boat and launched the dinghy (and engine) and then we waited a bit and fed Fuzzy so we could check the anchor when we took him ashore. Bud had already backed down on it with the engine and it was holding. It's fine. I took a picture of the dinghy on the beach and I'll put that in the gallery, too. There were goat prints on the beach and we can hear chickens. I hope we get to see the goats.

04/08/2011 | skip gaskill
Keep your eyes peeled for the Velux 5 (formerly Around Alone) racing fleet in their Eco 60's. They are just north of the doldrums heading for the finish line in Charleston, SC.
04/08/2011 | Marty Stevens
Hey Bud, Been reading your (Jill's) logs and have enjoyed them immensely. Found out about your trip from Ken and Kathy. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Congratulations on your retirement. Stay safe and enjoy, enjoy! Marty
A Trip to Town and the Library
04/05/2011, Back at Monument Beach, Elizabeth Harbour

Things were getting desperate for me on board. I was down to my last unread book. We are planning to head out tomorrow to Long Island and I didn't see anything in either guide book about a book exchange there. I needed to get to town. The wind was supposed to be down today, so about 9:30 we loaded up and headed across the harbor to Georgetown. It still seemed rough, so the computer went in the computer bag, and then in the zippered and rubber lined Earendil bag, and then in a black garbage bag with a twist tie. We also took one 5 gallon water jug and three one gallon water jugs, to top off our water. My 6 books to trade at the library (they do lending and trading) were in the Earendil bag. Fuzzy rode in the frontpack. Fuzzy and I stayed dry in the bow, but Bud got splashed pretty badly where he sits.

I'll post a picture of the library when I get a chance. It's open from 10 'til noon, 6 days a week. It seems to be run mostly by and for the cruisers. It cost me $3 for a year's dues and I got to trade in the 6 books I've read for 6 new ones. I'm down a few books because I gave another boater 3 books and she was going to bring me three the next day, but then we missed them and haven't seen them since. Also, at one place on Little Farmer's, they wanted two books to give you one. I had three books to trade, so only took two. That makes me down 4 books from where I started. That may prove to be critical. (I also have a couple of books that were given as
gifts that I won't trade.) Anyway, I also went on-line and got the blog posted and tried to make some phone calls. The phone kept disconnecting, so that was pretty frustrating.

It was still windy on the way back and Bud had trouble again getting the dinghy to plane with the computer, books, a few more groceries and 8 gallons of water. I was way up on the bow with Fuzzy. Again I stayed pretty dry until right at the end. I moved part way back so Bud could slow the dinghy, but then when I thought everything was fine, bud slowed some more and we did the water over the bow thing again, and I got soaked. Happily the computer and books stayed dry inside their layers.

I'll keep trying to post these via Sailmail, you'll see them once I'm successful!

Another Hike up Monument Hill
04/04/2011, Back in Georgetown, Monument Beach

I've been having trouble getting connected to Sailmail. It could be bad radio propagation, it could be that my modem was set too low, and it could be that our batteries
weren't charged enough. We've been trying not to run the generator, but the wind has not been that strong, and although the batteries have been OK, they haven't
been totally charged. So today we ran the generator for about two and a half hours and got them completely charge. Of course by then it was noon and that's the
worst time of day to transmit because of atmospheric interference from energy from the sun. So I'm going to try again this evening, hopefully all three entries will go.

We're waiting on a weather window to go to Long Island. There is a front coming through tomorrow night. In the States it brought 60 and 70 knot winds, in the
northern Bahamas the winds might gust to 40 to 50 knots. Here, there may be no squalls at all, but we may get some, so it's best to stay in a harbor that has protection
from all directions. If the front passes by Wednesday morning we'll probably leave then.

Meanwhile, we took another hike up to the monument today. Bud tried to get a picture of how steep the one section of trail is. I'll add the picture he took of me
carrying Fuzzy in the front pack. You can kind of get the idea from that. The weather has been perfect again the last couple of days. Hot in the sun, but cool in the
shade and the wind blows hard enough to keep you from getting uncomfortable. Plus the water is finally getting warm.

Since we were just hanging out today Bud took the time to cook a beef roast he bought. It was only about $5 a pound, which didn't seem too bad. He made a pot
roast, cooking it slowly on the stove for three hours. It came out really good, and because of the breeze, didn't even overheat the boat. We just finished eating and
the sun is going down, so I'm going to wrap this up and hope I can finally connect and post these.

I never got them posted. I came to Georgetown, got on the Internet and copied the entries from my Sailmail entries and emailed them to myself so I could get them from the Windows side of my computer to the Mac side. Argg!

Feeding the Rays
04/03/2011, Back in Georgetown, Monument Beach

Bud and I were hanging out this morning when the folks on Shamrock (yes, another Shamrock) called on the radio. They had mentioned the other day that they had a book that had fish
identification and eating quality. They had invited us to come over and see it and were repeating their invitation, so Bud, Fuzzy and I dinghied over to see them. John and Debby are
anchored right next to us here, so it was a quick dinghy ride. Not only did we get to look up the fish Bud caught (which we narrowed down to one of two edible Jacks) we also got to pick
their brains about other aspects of cruising. John gave me some more tips on using Sailmail, so hopefully this evening I'll get both yesterday's and today's blogs posted.

After a nice visit with them we decided to go back over to Volleyball Beach. Bud joined in a couple of games. I managed to snap a photo of him serving which I'll put in the gallery. We
bought conch salad on the beach. I didn't realize that it was made with raw conch, but they use enough lemon, lime and orange juice and hot sauce to nicely marinate it. It was pretty
good. Bud ordered his hot and mine medium hot. We ended up mixing some of them together, because Bud's was really too hot (even for Bud). We brought Fuzzy's food along with us, so
we could feed him, too.

We had noticed a guy feeding a ray earlier in the afternoon. When we went to leave a ray was still hanging around the beach so Bud asked the guy who made the conch salads about
feeding them. He told Bud you just hold the food flat on your hand and the ray will swim over your hand and take it. He said they have little fish teeth, not big shark teeth, so you could feel
their teeth if you curled up your fingers, but they wouldn't really hurt you. He told Bud he could feed them the conch guts he had on the bench he used to clean the conch. So Bud took a
big piece and waded into the water and the ray came right over. Bud fed it and then the ray let him rub it on it's top side near it's eyes. A second ray came up and Bud got another piece of
conch gut and ended up with two rays at his feet and he fed them both. I got a few pictures, I'll post the best one with this entry when I can. It shows the first ray eating out of Bud's hand.

04/06/2011 | Bob
I'm using your comment field because I don't know if you are getting the emails to the other
old address.(Did you get the one on the plastic
pipe for the engine water?) I got a call from Marc
to tell me that Jeff is planning on leaving Florida in may for Belize, just in case you might want to tag along. It appears that the
plane fares are not much more than from Florida. Just notes. Bob
ARG Meeting
04/02/2011, Back in Georgetown, Monument Beach

First, let me apologize for the blank entry. This time when I wasn't able to send my posting I did not make the mistake of retyping it and having a double posting sent. When I finally got a
clear channel I saw that it wasn't sending the blog entry. So I just clicked on the sailblogs window and clicked send again. And it sent a blog with just the location and author because
that's pre-filled in the format. I still don't know where what I type in this window gets stored or why the last time it was still there and this time it is not.

Anyway, there wasn't too much wind today, so we did make it to Georgetown and I did add in the photos for the blog. We also took all the laundry to town. Bud made a trip back with the
laundry and the computer and brought back the water jugs. He'd again made an early morning trip with them, so had already brought aboard 15 gallons today. This was now his thrid trip
back because he bought some groceries and took those back while I was doing the laundry and going on-line. On the fourth and final trip back for the day there was Bud, Fuzzy, me and
17 gallons of water. It proved to be too much for the 9.8 HP Tohutsu. Bud couldn't get the dinghy up on plane. He slowed down once and we did the whole water over the bow thing
again. This time he bailed us out as we went along. It wasn't that wavy, but it was enough that without planing we were splashed continually. We were all soaked by the time we got back
to the boat. Happily it's hot enough these days that it felt good. Fuzzy and I rinsed off using the cockpit shower and Bud went down and used the shower in the the aft cabin. I tried to
keep my clothes on until they dried, but gave up and changed and hung all our rinsed clothes on the lifelines for the rest of the day. They still didn't quite dry, I'll have to hang them out
again tomorrow.

Towards the end of the day I saw another boat coming towards the anchorage that looked a lot like a Norseman. I got out the binoculars to see if I could tell, but they ended up coming
right by us, so I called out to them as they passed and they confirmed it was a Norseman. This is only the second one we've seen, the first was Miclos III with Tisch and Ellen at Stuart.
We'd wanted to see them again out here, but never had.

Meanwhile, Bud and I were getting ready to go ashore for an ARG meeting. This was announced on the local cruisers VHF net. ARG is "Alcohol Research Group" and the meeting is a
BYOB and munchie to share get together held at irregular intervals on beaches around the harbor. So we prepared our stuff and headed ashore. On the way we went down to check out
the Norseman. It's Barefootin' from Charleston, SC and Bob, Francie and boat dog Kippin were in the cockpit so we got to talk. They had sailed with Tisch and Ellen and another
Norseman. At the time Miclos had emailed us hoping we could make it to where they were, we figured 4 Norseman together on the east coast would be a record. Alas, we didn't make it,
but at least we're meeting Barefootin' now. They were not going to the ARG meeting, having just gotten in from Long Island. We chatted with them and made plans to meet again before
we left the harbor, then Bud and I went ashore.

By now we were late, but of course you can't really be late for something like this so we just joined the group. Since everyone comes by dinghy, there is much less alcohol research than
the name implies. It is a nice time where cruisers get together and talk boats and weather and cruising and anything else that comes up. We met some folks we'd seen here and there
before and set some tentative plans to leave together this week to go down to Long Island. If that happens it will be the first time since leaving Wilson that we have traveled from one port
to another with other boats. It would be nice, I hope it happens. I took a photo of the ARG folks at sunset that I'll post on the blog the next time I get real internet access.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs