S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Last Boat Work Day for Jill until November

25 September 2011 | St. Augustine Marine Center, St. Augustine , FL
Jill
Saturday evening the people who had our main and jib to wash and repair brought them back. Bud was upset that they wanted to wait until 5 PM and high tide. The woman said she didn’t want to struggle down a steep ramp to the dock with the heavy mainsail. As it turned out there were five of us and we easily carried the main to the boat. It was harder passing it over from the dock to the boat than getting it to the dock. Once we got it on board, they proposed coming back Tuesday to put it up. I am leaving tomorrow, but they said that was OK. They left and Bud was more upset than ever. He really thought I needed to be there to get the lazy jacks back up. Lazy jacks are lines that go from our stack pack sail bag up about halfway up the mast. They hold the sail in place when it’s lowered, so it doesn’t fall all over the deck. In our case, they guide the sail into the stack pack, which we then zip up. Bud an I did take the time then to wind the jib furling line, raise the jib and furl it.

Today, Sunday, Bud and I decided to try to put the main on by ourselves. We used two halyards. We wrapped the main halyard around the sail (zipped in its stack pack) about halfway to the stern end. Then we wrapped a spinnaker halyard around it towards the forward end. I went into the cockpit and raised the main halyard. Bud stood near the mast and both cranked up the spinnaker halyard and guided the sail. Once we had it at about the height of the boom, I came out and slid the slides into the slot on the boom. We had to stop and let the halyards out every little while so there was enough line to let the sail slide back. Once the sail was on the boom and secured at the foot (bottom back of the sail), we unzipped the stack pack and attached the main halyard to the head of the sail. Then I raised the main bit by bit while Bud slid the cars onto the track. When the main was about 2/3 of the way up, I came out and we just pushed the sail up until all the cars were on the track and we could fit on the piece that keeps them from slipping back down.

At that point Bud hoisted me up in the boatswains chair and I carried the ends of the lazy jacks up and threaded them through the little pulleys on the sides of the mast. As I went up and came down I had to make sure the lazy jack lines were behind the spreaders. Since I go up in front of the mast using two spinnaker halyards (one as a safety line), that meant that Bud had to bring me up to the spreader and wait while I untied the lines from the boatswains chair (one at a time) passed them under and then over the spreader and retied them to the chair. I had to repeat that on the way down, this time passing them over the spreader and back under it. Once the lines were led, we tightened up on the lazy jacks and dropped the main back down most of the way.

Next we had to reattach the reefing lines. Bud worked on the ones in front and I did the ones in back. We wanted to raise the main to straighten our the reefing lines and get it folded better in the stack pack, but as we started to raise it we began to get little puffs of wind from the stern. The wind billowed out the sail so the battens (stiffening rods) were getting caught in the lazy jacks. We decided to just drop it back and tighten up the lazy jacks and zip everything up. It was about 3 in the afternoon by the time we got that done. Earendil is now rigged again. She’s ready to sail except we need new jib sheets, so we only put one on it for now. The photo shows her with her sails back in place.

After a rest and a bite to eat, I did up the dishes and went and took a shower. I still had to do the wash and pack for my trip. I finally left with the wash just after 5. The Laundromat I usually use closes at 6 on Sundays. The woman at the counter directed me up the road to another Laundromat that stays open 24 hours. It was small and crowded and dirty, but I managed to get washers and driers and the driers worked well, so I was done and back not much past 7:30. Now I am all packed, but we still have to deal with whatever they are going to try and do about the prop and the stray current tomorrow. Whatever happens, Bud and I have to leave between 1:45 and 2 PM so I get to the airport on time. We’ll have to quit work about 12:30 to get lunch and a shower.

I’m going to be gone until November 7, so Bud will be on his own again. This time he doesn’t need to move the boat, but there are a lot of jobs still on the list. I’ll keep posting to the blog to update his progress and anything interesting that goes on. I know he and Gary are determined to take the boat out and use it as a deep sea fishing boat. They’ll break in the new Yanmar and throw out a few lines and see what happens.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010