Bookmark and Share
S/V Earendil
Happy Thanksgiving
11/24/2011, St. Augustine Marine Center, St. Augustine , FL

This is our first Thanksgiving together on the boat. Last year I was in Detroit with Jamie and poor Bud was alone with Fuzzy in Charleston. We are having a nice, quiet day. This morning, after stowing all the provisions we had purchased the day before so I had room to work, I made pumpkin pies. I made two of them because three 15 oz. cans of pumpkin make two nice full pies. Lately Bud has been buying piecrust when he wanted pie, but he knows I don't like those, so for Thanksgiving I made the crusts. It wasn't bad in the tiny galley. The only difficulty is that only one pie will fit in the oven at a time, and a pumpkin pie takes about an hour to bake. The pies got finished around 3 PM.

Once the last pie was in the oven, Bud started on the main meal. The menu was crab stuffed flounder, filet of beef, green beans almandine and parsleyed red potatoes. He had all the prep work done by the time the pie came out of the oven. We just left the oven on for the fish. While Bud finished, I decided to take a bike ride to work up an appetite. There's really only room for one in the galley, anyway.

I rode around old St. Augustine. I really like this town with its narrow old streets. There are a real variety of neighborhoods and a great mix of houses in the neighborhoods. Our marina is on the edge of Lincolnville. This was a settlement of free blacks before the civil war. A lot of slaves came through here on their way out of slavery. Lincolnville has some bigger nice homes, some tiny nice homes and some run down homes. On the other edge of Lincolnville, where a salt marsh splits it from the rest of the old town, is an estate with a huge mansion and another beautiful old home. The gate to the mansion has the name Lion's View. I don't know if that refers to just the big stone house or to the whole estate. Once you cross the salt marsh, which further in appears to be dredged and is called the lake, you get into the old residential section. That has many big old homes that range from very nice to mansions. I cut through there (past what I think is billed as the oldest home in the US) and cross King Street to the tourist Old St. Augustine. That is a mix of old houses and old commercial buildings that is now 90% shops and restaurants. Going back away from the water you come to Flagler College. This has to be one of the prettiest small colleges around. The buildings are mostly Spanish style and there are courtyards and fountains throughout. There are some nice neighborhoods around the college, again with a mix of houses. Coming back across King Street you're in Lincolnville again, and back to the marina (maybe a mile south of King Street). That's the route I took today and the whole ride was only about 35 minutes.

I got back to the boat in time to help Bud get the food served and to take this picture of our Thanksgiving feast. Everything Bud made turned out good. I don't know about the pie because we are saving that for later.

Bud is now out fishing. He was going through withdrawal because with all the work we've been doing to provision the boat to leave he hadn't fished in three days. Today is the new moon. This morning there was a very high tide, this afternoon very low. The tide is running back in now, so it should be a good time to fish.

I hope your Thanksgiving was as nice as ours.

11/25/2011 | jon and arline
Hi guy's
Hope all is well and that we will meet this year to travel with you.
Back on the Boat
11/17/2011, St. Augustine Marine Center, St. Augustine , FL

I've been back on board for 8 days and still haven't updated the blog. It's hard to get back in the habit of writing. It's also a bit hard because this off-season of repairs has proved to be pretty challenging.

When I left the boat they had just finished the sea trials on the new engine (after 5 tries). While I was gone they moved Bud down to the south dock, because a section of this boatyard is being refitted to be used by Customs and Border Patrol as a training facility. Originally, they had Bud at the far end of this long dock and he had to use all 125 feet of our shore cable to reach the dock power outlet. One day he lost power and found that the fixture on the side of the boat was fried! Oh no, this is more than we can take on the power problems. The good news is that a company here, Polaris that specializes in stray current and boat electrical systems, was called in. We found:
1. Our inlet fixture was 50 Amp (we always adapted down to 30 because we didn't want to carry a huge and heavy 50 Amp cord) but the boat was actually wired for 30 Amps. The inlet was replaced with a new 30 Amp receptacle.
2. The failure was probably due to too much power draw (two air conditioners running) over too long a power cord. The adapter was repaired (no longer needed and actually the repair put two 30 Amp ends on it so it became a foot long power cord, we're keeping it for spare parts) and the boat was moved closer to the power (happily other boats had left opening up a space).
3. There was current coming in on the neutral line of the shore power and we didn't have a galvanic isolator. Bud installed one.
4. All of the installations on board that I did were fine (I talked to the guy yesterday and he said we did a good job with it, yeah!) but there were some deficiencies in the bonding system and we needed to add a brush to the prop shaft to tie that in to the bonding system. I had wondered about that when I read up on boat electrical and bonding systems, it may have been that the old Borg-Warner velvet drive transmission was internally bonded, but the new transmission is not. Bud installed the prop brushes and we are working on connecting other things that should be tied into the bonding system.

So, our electrical problems should be over, but we haven't seen the state of the new zincs installed. Bud had the boat hauled once while I was gone, and the zincs put on at the time of the sea trial were corroded to the point of almost falling off. I'm not sure how many days elapsed between installing new zincs again and the installation of the galvanic isolator. In the interim he had another zinc that he hooked to the prop shaft in the engine room with a long wire and just dumped over board. This is an old cruising trick and hopefully spared the shaft zinc. I know we won't rest easy until we're in clear water where we can regularly check the zincs and determine that they are no longer eroding too quickly.

If that weren't enough, our outboard engine wouldn't run when Bud tried to put the dinghy back in service. This was not due to its saltwater bath last spring, but rather to some bad gas. Bud had it serviced and they cleaned a lot of rust out of the carburetor.

Next he had problems with the bilge pump. When we had the engine replaced we paid to have the engine room cleaned. We thought that would include the bilge that is under the front of the engine room. We found out that would have been a separate work order. So the bilge was oily. Not only that, but when they did the modifications of the stringers for the new transmission, a lot of bits fell in the bilge. Those should have been cleaned up, but weren't. The result was that the bilge pump started to stick on. Bud had to clean the bilge himself and replace the switch. Then the pump started to run every half hour or so. Since the float switch and hose opening are 3 feet below the pump, Bud reasoned that the check valve that keeps the water from running back out the hose below the pump was faulty. He replaced that. That mostly cured the problem. However, certain days the pump was still running, and he could see water dripping into the front of the bilge but couldn't find where it was coming from.

I came back to the boat Monday night (about midnight). We had decided to go to a gathering of cruisers (Seven Seas Cruising Club Melbourne GAM) that Friday. We had looked for the leak through the week, but not found it. Thursday night the bilge pump ran every half hour. We got up at 5 AM to drive down to the GAM, but Bud didn't think we should leave the boat. I started to investigate again. There was a puddle of water at the base of the mast. I tasted it; it was not salt water. It hadn't rained, so we must have a leak in our fresh water system. We shut the tanks off and went to the GAM. When we came back on Sunday the areas that had been damp were dry. Further investigation found a slow leak in the foot pump in the forward head. They still sell rebuild kits for these pumps and our local West Marine had one. Unfortunately, they come with no instructions or drawings so it took two attempts to get the unit back together correctly. But we did it, and our leak is gone!

The list of things to do before we take off is down to one page. We may actually get out and cruise again before long! But there is one other problem. Three nights ago Fuzzy suddenly became restless. He normally wants to go to bed by 8 in the evening and sleeps until at least 7 in the morning. Monday night he wouldn't stay in the bed with us at all. He wandered around the boat and finally lay down in the galley. After the second night of this (almost worse) we took him to the vet. We don't have the results from the blood work back, but the probable diagnosis is a kind of doggy dementia. The only treatment is to put him on drugs. Right now we're trying Valium, with not great results. If that doesn't work he'll probably be on Prozac. If that doesn't work I don't know what we'll do! Last night I got him to sleep a bit (after taking Valium) by holding him still up next to me until he finally fell asleep.

So, that is where things stand. Bud and I are both exhausted. On the bright side, I've seen dolphins playing and feeding in the river here, there are flamingos in the pond by our doctors' office and Bud is finally catching fish! This is a 24-inch red drum he caught the other morning. About a half-hour after he caught this he caught a 22-inch flounder. Last evening he caught a 23-inch red drum. So our freezer is filling with fillets. Also, he finally figured out how to throw his cast net (after watching a video on You-Tube, no less). Sunday afternoon Gary came over and took Bud out in our dinghy and he got about 30 little mullet in one cast.

11/18/2011 | Bob
Nice to see you return. Yea Bud - you appear to be
getting the fish procurement to a worthwhile level.
I'm just jealous, it seems that as you are learning to catch, I'm forgetting how - not a good sign from this end of the country. Are you going to different
islands this year? I never realized how many there were in that part of the world.
Crazy Day
09/27/2011, St. Augustine Marine Center

I'm in Detroit now and posting this on our iPad so it will be short and there is no picture. Monday turned out to be quite the day. We got up at 6 am. We moved the boat to the haul out slip at around 8, as soon as the tide was slack enough to chance moving the boat with so little thrust from the prop. We were pulled without incident and Danny pulled and adjusted the prop again. The boat was then put back in the water for the fourth sea trial! I was assured that I would be back from the sea trial in plenty of time to get ready and get to the airport. I told them I needed to be back no later than noon. Bob, from Yanmar, came aboard, as well as Dave, the electrician, who was trying to find the source of the current leak.

We went out the San Sabastian River once more to the Intracoastal Waterway and headed away from St. Augustine. This time the boat moved well and we got up to the engine rpm we were supposed to reach under full throttle. Bob had Bud back the engine down to a slower speed. Suddenly Dave, who was poking around the engine with his meter, called out, "Hey, there's a leak here!" Bob went down to investigate. "Shut the engine down", he ordered. So Bud shut it down. After we drifted for a minute Bud had me go get the anchor ready to drop, in case we started to drift too far out of the channel.

I went down below and found a hose clamp and piece of rubber tube for Bob. It seems that a clamp had gotten bent either at the factory or during the installation and the water pump pulley was rubbing on the engine coolant hose and wore a pin hole in it. While Bob worked on a temporary repair I went back up on deck. Bud asked me to get the staysail ready to set. There was a tiny breeze and it was turning the boat in the channel. When the boat drifted around enough I pulled out the sail and Bud tried to sail it although we were hardly moving.

Soon Bob had a patch improvised and we started the engine back up. The patch held so we started back at just over idle speed. After a bit I took the staysail back in as it was doing more harm than good. We were now returning against the tide, we were going just a bit over 2 knots. The plan was to take the boat back to the middle floating dock, have Danny come back aboard, drain the coolant, take off the hose, cut it and put a tube in to repair it, reinstall it, refill the coolant and take the boat back out to finish the sea trial. It was already going on 11. Having no faith that we'd get that done by 12:30, which was my real deadline for showering to leave for the airport no later than 1:45, I decided to finish packing and take all my stuff ashore. I would skip the next sea trial and if Bud and the boat didn't make it back by 1:45, someone would have to take me to the airport in Orlando.

The repair was done by 11:45 and Bud, Bob and Danny took off. I sat and waited. At 12:30 I was just getting up to take my shower when I saw them coming back. I went and helped them tie off in the slip. The sea trial was done! Everything went fine. I hurried off to shower. Dave and Mark, another guy from the marina, came on board to continue the search for the current leak. Bud, Fuzzy and I left for the airport at 1:45. I arrived in Detroit at about 11 pm. The current leak seems to have been caused by a dead short in one of our solar panel regulators. Hopefully all is well back at the boat as I start the next chapter.

Last Boat Work Day for Jill until November
09/25/2011, St. Augustine Marine Center, St. Augustine , FL

Saturday evening the people who had our main and jib to wash and repair brought them back. Bud was upset that they wanted to wait until 5 PM and high tide. The woman said she didn't want to struggle down a steep ramp to the dock with the heavy mainsail. As it turned out there were five of us and we easily carried the main to the boat. It was harder passing it over from the dock to the boat than getting it to the dock. Once we got it on board, they proposed coming back Tuesday to put it up. I am leaving tomorrow, but they said that was OK. They left and Bud was more upset than ever. He really thought I needed to be there to get the lazy jacks back up. Lazy jacks are lines that go from our stack pack sail bag up about halfway up the mast. They hold the sail in place when it's lowered, so it doesn't fall all over the deck. In our case, they guide the sail into the stack pack, which we then zip up. Bud an I did take the time then to wind the jib furling line, raise the jib and furl it.

Today, Sunday, Bud and I decided to try to put the main on by ourselves. We used two halyards. We wrapped the main halyard around the sail (zipped in its stack pack) about halfway to the stern end. Then we wrapped a spinnaker halyard around it towards the forward end. I went into the cockpit and raised the main halyard. Bud stood near the mast and both cranked up the spinnaker halyard and guided the sail. Once we had it at about the height of the boom, I came out and slid the slides into the slot on the boom. We had to stop and let the halyards out every little while so there was enough line to let the sail slide back. Once the sail was on the boom and secured at the foot (bottom back of the sail), we unzipped the stack pack and attached the main halyard to the head of the sail. Then I raised the main bit by bit while Bud slid the cars onto the track. When the main was about 2/3 of the way up, I came out and we just pushed the sail up until all the cars were on the track and we could fit on the piece that keeps them from slipping back down.

At that point Bud hoisted me up in the boatswains chair and I carried the ends of the lazy jacks up and threaded them through the little pulleys on the sides of the mast. As I went up and came down I had to make sure the lazy jack lines were behind the spreaders. Since I go up in front of the mast using two spinnaker halyards (one as a safety line), that meant that Bud had to bring me up to the spreader and wait while I untied the lines from the boatswains chair (one at a time) passed them under and then over the spreader and retied them to the chair. I had to repeat that on the way down, this time passing them over the spreader and back under it. Once the lines were led, we tightened up on the lazy jacks and dropped the main back down most of the way.

Next we had to reattach the reefing lines. Bud worked on the ones in front and I did the ones in back. We wanted to raise the main to straighten our the reefing lines and get it folded better in the stack pack, but as we started to raise it we began to get little puffs of wind from the stern. The wind billowed out the sail so the battens (stiffening rods) were getting caught in the lazy jacks. We decided to just drop it back and tighten up the lazy jacks and zip everything up. It was about 3 in the afternoon by the time we got that done. Earendil is now rigged again. She's ready to sail except we need new jib sheets, so we only put one on it for now. The photo shows her with her sails back in place.

After a rest and a bite to eat, I did up the dishes and went and took a shower. I still had to do the wash and pack for my trip. I finally left with the wash just after 5. The Laundromat I usually use closes at 6 on Sundays. The woman at the counter directed me up the road to another Laundromat that stays open 24 hours. It was small and crowded and dirty, but I managed to get washers and driers and the driers worked well, so I was done and back not much past 7:30. Now I am all packed, but we still have to deal with whatever they are going to try and do about the prop and the stray current tomorrow. Whatever happens, Bud and I have to leave between 1:45 and 2 PM so I get to the airport on time. We'll have to quit work about 12:30 to get lunch and a shower.

I'm going to be gone until November 7, so Bud will be on his own again. This time he doesn't need to move the boat, but there are a lot of jobs still on the list. I'll keep posting to the blog to update his progress and anything interesting that goes on. I know he and Gary are determined to take the boat out and use it as a deep sea fishing boat. They'll break in the new Yanmar and throw out a few lines and see what happens.

Trying Trials
09/23/2011, St. Augustine Marine Center, St. Augustine , FL

Our second sea trial was set for 9 AM. We set my phone alarm for 6:30 to make sure we and the boat would be ready. I imagined that the sea trial would take about an hour and we would have the rest of the day to ourselves. Our friends Ed and Karin from Passages (now docked in St. Mary's, GA) were coming down for lunch, if I was lucky I could squeeze a shower in before they got here. In the afternoon I hoped to pick up some AAA batteries for our new alarm clock so I wouldn't need to use my phone again. Here's what really happened.

Bob, from Yanmar called to say he'd be a bit late. Pete, from the marina, came down to tell us the same thing. By the time Bob arrived, we had everything ready to go. We fired up the engine, and it hardly ran. Turns out our little transfer fuel pump won't prime the new Racor filter. The whole top half of the Racor was filled with air, which was now going to the engine. I'm still not sure why we weren't getting air through the pump when we circulated the fuel. Anyway, Bob showed Bud how to top off that filter. Meanwhile, Danny tried to fix the throttle, which needs some tension put on it because the Yanmar has a return spring which the old Lehman-Peugeot didn't have. Danny still has to do some work on that, but he put it back together for the sea trial. He got us some diesel to top of the Racor and we were off. However, it was now almost 10:30 so I called Ed and Karin and told them they should probably plan on 1:00, rather than 12.

The sky was now looking rather ominous. There have been storms rolling around us for days, but only a few sprinkles right in St. Augustine. As we were going down the Intracoastal Waterway, I heard thunder all around. The engine was running very smoothly and there was no black smoke, but Bud still couldn't get it above about 3100 RPM. So Bob said to turn back, the prop was wrong and needed to be reset. But, Bob wanted to have the boat hauled immediately; get the prop pitch altered and take it right back out for another trial. It was now about 11:30. I called Ed and Karin and they were already in St. Augustine, so they agreed to come on over, and we'd grab a bite to eat while the prop was being done and then play it by ear. We stopped at the floating dock by the haul slip and got off until the arrangements were made. Then Bud and I got back on and Bud took it into the slip. I tossed lines to the guys and fended off the wall. We got the boat tied off and they brought the travel lift out and in position. Just after they got the straps in place they were all looking off to the west. There, west and a bit north was a funnel cloud trying to form. It looked like it was only a couple of miles away and headed for us. I saw it start to rotate, but then it seemed to loose energy and just went away. They lifted us up and forward until the bow pulpit was almost touching the inside wall of the slip and we climbed out. Since we have Fuzzy, we have to pass him out, too. I took off my boat shoes and had to walk back along the edge to our old dock to get my Crocs. When I came back I took this photo. That's Bob looking at the prop. When I turned around from taking the photo, I saw that Ed and Karin were there. I'd missed their call in all the noise of the travel lift and the excitement of the funnel cloud, but the secretary let them in the gate.

We quickly formed a plan and Karin and I dashed off to go get Chinese, while Ed and Bud stayed to mind the boat. Fuzzy came with Karin and me. We just made it into their car when rain came down. We saw it coming as a wall of white. When we got back after picking up the food, the streets were flooded and a lot of the yard was about a foot deep in water. We ate and visited inside the building where the marina guys take their breaks. We couldn't even invite Ed and Karin on board because the boat was still hanging in the sling. They left soon after, the rain eased off and Danny changed the prop. I walked over and Bob and Danny were having a discussion about the settings. Bob didn't think it looked right. Danny set it back to where he said it was when he started and then reset it to the new setting. Bob even climbed up and started the engine and put it in gear for a second while we checked which way it turned. It turns counterclockwise in forward, so it is a left-hand prop. That's how they had it set.

When Danny was ready to put the zinc back on the prop he asked me if I wanted that one put on. I told him it should be OK, it was brand new. He handed it to me. It was about half eaten away. Sacrificial zincs are put on boats because often there is stray current around a boat that could corrode a boat's metal parts. The zinc is what corrodes first, and in theory keeps the other metals from corroding. But that zinc had only been on the boat two weeks and was more corroded than the zinc we took off after being in the water a year!

The boat was taken back out and lowered, Bud, Fuzzy, Bob and I climbed back aboard (Danny didn't come this trip) and we went out for sea trial number 3. As soon as Bud backed out of the slip he could tell something was wrong. The boat had no power at all. He started down the channel and had the engine at over 3000 RPM and we were going less than 5 knots. Bob had him open it up, the engine went to 3600 RPM, and the boat didn't reach 6 knots. The prop was way off, now! So we turned around. Bob was talking to someone on the phone. We didn't know if we should take it back to the travel lift or back to our slip. No one was around by the travel lift and it was already 3 PM so we decided to just go back to our slip. It took Bud three approaches to get docked because he was coming in with the current and he had almost no power to maneuver, but he go it in OK.

Bob went off and said he'd be back in a bit. I talked to our dock mate and he said he'd had his zinc changed but there was no unusual wear on it. That made me convinced there was something wrong on our boat. I still had the old zinc so I set off to show it to Pete, the customer relation's guy. On the way I met Dave, the yard manager, so I showed it to him. He agreed that it was a problem and said he'd get the electrician on it and we'd get it squared away and get the prop fixed, too. I went back to the boat. A few minutes later Bob came back. He'd gone and gotten the prop manual from Danny and sat and read it. He and Danny looked again and figured that Danny had gotten the columns switched. The prop had been at 22 degrees and was supposed to be adjusted to 20 degrees. Instead, Danny thought it had been at 12 degrees and switched it to 10 degrees. With that small an angle from the vertical, the blades just spun, but pushed almost no water to move the boat.

So our day was gone, we had a very short visit with Ed and Karin, I didn't get any batteries, and I didn't get my shower until this evening. The plan now is to have the electrician on the boat at 7:30 AM Monday, and then to move the boat to the lift, pull it and reset the prop, and to do a final sea trial. I also have to pack and get to the airport in Orlando late Monday afternoon because I'm flying to Detroit! I'm mentally exhausted.

More Progress
09/22/2011, St. Augustine Marine Center, St. Augustine , FL

The rigging is finished. That's Andrew, the rigger, coming down from working on the upper stays. He stopped to adjust something there, he may have been about to tape the spreader boots over the ends of the lower spreader. He also installed the jib furler with its new wire stay and tuned the mast. Bud and I got the boom on, then Bud ran a lot of the lines while I worked on the engine room sound insulation. Our old insulation fell apart on one of the engine room doors. We stripped it off both doors and the generator cover. It was already off the small door on the far side of the engine room. We bought new soundproofing that came in 12-inch squares with peel and stick backs. I fit and cut the squares and covered those four doors. It went on nicely (although I did get blisters from cutting it) and we hope it's effective.

This evening we put our staysail back up. We had to rewind the furler and then raise the sail. Then we used the furling line to wind it up around the foil on the baby-stay. Happily, we got it right and it wound up with the UV resistant strip on the outside. We're looking more like a sailboat!

I tried to take a picture of a huge shrimp boat they pulled out with the travel-lift. It was very warm and drizzling rain. I took my camera out of the air-conditioned boat and it immediately steamed up. I took about 4 shots and wiped the lens repeatedly, but none of them came out clearly. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I'm getting tired of posting photos of Earendil still sitting in the same slip. We see lots of progress, but I don't think it much shows in the pictures.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs