02/27/2012, Thompson Bay, Long Island
We had a bit of weather last night. First it rained and Bud got up and shut the hatches before things got too wet. Then later there was a short time with a LOT of wind; Bud thought it went up over 30 knots. He went out on deck and made sure nothing blew away. I slept through all of that. I got up just after the rain for Fuzzy patrol, Fuzzy and I walked out on the foredeck. That was only about 11 PM. Then I slept out in the salon with Fuzzy for the rest of the night. Slept right through Bud going up during the wind. Fuzzy slept through until about 6 AM, then I took him on deck again.
This morning we wanted to do two things. We wanted to see about adjusting the stuffing box around the rudderpost, to see if the bolts would move and to see if it would have any effect on the leaking. We also wanted to defrost the freezer. We moved all the food from the refrigerator into buckets, put ice on top and covered them with towels under the dinette table (about the coolest spot on the boat). We then moved all the food from the freezer into the refrigerator and turned the fridge on and the freezer off. We put a pan of heated salt water (don't want to waste fresh water) in the freezer and let it defrost.
Meanwhile, I stacked all the bedding up on one side of the bed and opened the panel above the rudderpost. Bud crawled up there and took a look. He was able to turn the bolts. He turned them and dried things up and then waited to see if it helped. He also put WD-40 on the upper bearing while I turned the wheel. Later, when he inspected it again, he used a mirror to really take a look at things. He found nuts on the bottom of the bolts, so his first attempt hadn't tightened anything, he'd just turned the nuts along with the bolts. So he tried again. Happily he was able to tighten the bolts. It did slow the drip to a tiny ooze. He didn't want to over tighten them and risk stripping or braking them because then we would have a serious leak that would require taking the boat about 20 miles from here to the only marina in this part of the Bahamas that can pull a boat. It's Stella Maris, the one we went and looked at, and we have to go in their four-mile long channel at high tide. We think we're okay now, but like so many things on the boat, we're not sure. We plan to take the boat out, probably Thursday, when the wind drops a bit, but not too much, and sail around and check it under sail.
We did get the freezer done and both the freezer and refrigerator cleaned and repacked. We're still trying to get the freezer back to temperature, it's a good thing the wind is blowing and the wind generator is making power or we'd have to run the generator for sure.
We've been trying to spend a bit of time with Fuzzy on the beach. He won't walk far, but we do try to get him to walk some. He likes going to the beach, but he doesn't want to go far or stay long. I took a picture of Bud waiting with the dinghy while I give Fuzzy some beach time. Bud walks with us a bit, because that encourages Fuzzy to walk, but while Fuzzy should walk, Bud shouldn't, so it's a compromise.
I've posted this and the photos for the recent entries using wifi accessed with our antenna. It's not the best, so I'm not trying to update the gallery. Tomorrow Long Island Breeze is open so we plan to eat dinner there and I'll take the computer and do some put all the pictures from the Jumentoes and Raggeds into the gallery.
02/26/2012, Thompson Bay, Long Island
The wind did start to blow today. Bud wanted to get more water, both before the wind got too strong and before they ran out. Since it's Sunday, Long Island Petroleum will only be open a few hours, so he got up about 7 AM to get ready to go. Neither of us usually sleep that late, but Bud took his turn with Fuzzy last night, so when Fuzzy woke me up at about 11:30 Bud took him out on deck. We put the deck light on, put his leash on him and take him out on the foredeck. In a few minutes he pees. We wash it off with a bucket of salt water we have ready and bring him back down. He seems to settle down then, but he won't come back to the berth and we can't leave him on his own, so one of us gets a bad night's sleep on the setee in the salon. I'd done it for two nights in a row, so Bud did it last might. I got up at 5 and let Bud sleep from 5 until 7, then the day began.
Anyway, Bud made two more trips for water. He got 40 more gallons, so altogether he's gotten 80 gallons. We are still down about 10 or 15 gallons in the starboard tank. While he was going for water I asked him to check the store for ammonia. One of the other cruisers told Bud they do their hand wash with ammonia and they don't have to rinse the clothes. The ammonia will evaporate along with the water. Since the laundromat is not open here in Salt Pond and we aren't sure what we have to do with the boat with the leaking rudder stock, I wanted to do some laundry by hand. Bud brought back the ammonia and I did two bucket loads. I used the same water, starting with the underwear and ending with some shirts and one pair of shorts. I hung them out on the life-lines where the rising wind whipped them around quite a bit. I'm not sure how clean they are, but they smell nice from the sun and wind.
This afternoon Bud made another batch of conch stew. We thought we ought to take Fuzzy ashore for a bit, since otherwise he spends the days sleeping (then he's up at night) and Bud needed to bruise the conch (bruise is the official word for beat the heck out of it with a plastic hammer). So we took the conch, the cutting board, the hammer and Fuzzy and headed for the beach. Fuzzy and I walked while Bud pounded. It's all I can do to get Fuzzy to walk a few hundred yards up and down the beach. Even at that he gets a bit tottery at times. It's very hard to see his decline, it's so pronounced this year.
We came back and I worked on some sewing while Bud worked on the stew. We've been officially in the tropics for 5 weeks now, and my pajamas have long pants and long sleeves. I tried to find shorty pajamas before we left Florida, but in the fall in north Florida they weren't selling them. I finally gave up and cut the sleeves off two of my pajama tops. Bud says they look like muscle shirts, but they are a lot more comfortable.
Fuzzy had his supper and we had delicious conch stew. We took Fuzzy to the beach one more time, and that was it for the day. We didn't tackle the rudder post because Bud wants to be sure businesses are open and help and parts available before he tries something. I did spray WD-40 on the bolts before I made up the bed.
No picture, I have internet and posted the others, but dirty laundry didn't inspire me.
02/25/2012, Thompson Bay, Long Island
Sailing in to Thompson Bay is beginning to feel like coming home. It is nice to come in to some place familiar. We know right where we can set the anchor, we know the depth is right, we know the anchor will set. We've been lucky, our spot has been open every time we've come back. Today there weren't too many boats here, I think I counted 12 or so. That's less than there were at Hog Cay! Most of the boats have gone to Georgetown for the Cruiser's Regatta. It's a week of parties, games and sailing. It's also a week where there are likely to be 400 boats in Elizabeth Harbour. It's not really our kind of fun. It starts either the 28th or 29th of February, but since it's supposed to blow like stink for the next four days, I think a lot of boats got to Georgetown today.
We had an uneventful trip here today. We got a fairly early start after taking Fuzzy ashore and then lifting the dinghy on the davits. We left Water Cay before 7:30. We tried to sail the first leg, but it was too close, so we motor-sailed. Our course then took us 12 degrees further off the wind and we were able to sail for about 7 miles. Then the wind began to shift towards the front of the boat and die a bit, so the engine came back on. It's not like you can decide to fall off the wind and make it up later. A lot of these places have shallows and reefs not far off the course. Not long after we turned the engine on we saw some dolphins. A group of 5 came and swam at the bow of the boat. They stayed there a couple of minutes until I managed to get the camera out, then they were gone.
When we got up the the wide, shallow channel that cuts east back to Long Island the wind was almost on the nose and very light. We pulled in the jib and stay-sail and motored on with just the main. There was so little wind that the surface of the water was just lightly ripppled. The whole 11 miles of the channel the water never gets more than 12 feet deep, even at high tide. I told Bud it was sailing across a huge swimming pool (the water is that clear). I was trying to get a picture of the starfish we were passing, and managed to catch one with the shadow of me and the boat alongside the starfish. I'll post it once I have Internet access again (Long Island Breeze Resort is closed Sunday and Monday, so Tuesday looks like the day!).
The wind got so light we ended up putting all the sails away on the last leg of the Comer Channel. We even got the main zipped up in the stack pack. Then as we got near Long Island the wind picked up a bit and was from the North, so we pulled out the jib again. We gained 0.4 knot. Wow. Bud said he's just concerned that I get enough weight bearing exercise to fight osteoporosis. How thoughtful. Anyway, that worked for about a half an hour, then the wind shifted back east and we pulled the jib in again.
Once we were anchored Bud took the dinghy in to get four jugs of water (20 gallons) and one jug of gas. He was also going to reserve a laundry spot for Tuesday at Long Island Breeze, but found out their laundry is closed due to a water shortage. Mike, at Long Island Breeze told Bud he wasn't sure how long Long Island Petroleum would have water, and Bud should stock up on water right away. So Bud made a second run and got another 20 gallons and he'll go tomorrow morning (before they close at 11 AM) and get 20 more.
Fuzzy is having trouble with incontinence and we need to get him to a vet. There's a good vet in Georgetown, but before we take the boat anywhere else we need to figure out what's going on with the rudder post. So that's our agenda for the next little while.
By the way, we never heard anything about the flare last night, so we think the Bahamians set it off for fun.
02/24/2012, Water Cay, Jumentoes
Well, you'll notice we aren't at Hog Cay anymore. It's my fault. I put our intentions in the blog yesterday and that always means the plans will change. The guy substituting for our weather guru put in the email version that winds would be 19 on Sunday and Monday and the general trend was for moderating winds. This morning, Chris Parker came on (he was only on SSB M,W,F this week, and the sub was doing the emails each day). Chris said 20 gusting 25 Sunday through Wednesday, with wind moderating on Thursday. That meant we couldn't cross those open water sections until next Friday (the swell would probably still be too big Thursday, after four days of high wind). We weren't prepared to stay another week, so after having made plans with folks for activities today, we hurriedly readied the boat for sailing and called them all and said good-bye as we were leaving the anchorage at just before 8 AM.
We decided to get the majority of the run back to Thompson Bay done today, as there was some wind. There was about 15 knots of wind mostly behind us as we crossed the first open area, and we had pretty good following seas. It was not bad sailing at all, but then Bud noticed that the bilge pump was running fairly often. I went down to investigate. I ended up tearing up our bed to look underneath and found that our rudder post was leaking . I took the helm and Bud went down and looked at it. It seemed to leak whenever there was sideways pressure on the rudder. So Bud eased the main and tried to keep the boat going as easy as possible. Once we got out of that rough part the leaking slowed down. We kept on, the wind got pretty light at times but we managed to sail 54 and a half nautical miles to put us here at Water Cay.
The anchorage isn't a good as at Flamingo. We weren't sure the Rocna was set. When we went out in the dingy and looked at it, it was set, but Bud had actually been able to drag it out through the mud. We aren't too worried, there is enough sand to hold through a pretty good wind and the wind is supposed to drop to 10 knots tonight and be only 8 to 10 knots tomorrow. We have plenty of chain out and we set the anchor alarm, so we'll be okay. There are probably better places to anchor along this island, but this is the only other beach (and it's tiny) south of the fishing boat anchorage that already had two boats in it. We probably could have fit there, and if the wind was going to be an issue we would have moved, but this will do for an overnight stop.
We checked the rudder post and it's not leaking now. Tomorrow will be a light day, probably motor-sailing most of the day and then we'll be back at Thompson Bay and we can see what needs to be done.
Bud was just out on the deck looking at the stars and he saw a flare. We put out a general call on our VHF radio to see if anyone knew what the flare was about. He got no answer. We'll leave our VHF radio on to see if anyone calls. It may be that the fishing boat just sent up one of their old flares. If I ever find out what it was, I'll let you know.
02/23/2012, Hog Cay, Ragged Islands
This morning we took stock of our water and dinghy gas and decided if Passages gave us water as they offered we could stay here until next week. The forecast has changed to less wind on Sunday and Monday, so we think we can probably cross the open channels by Tuesday. We do need to be careful with the dinghy gas. Bud filled the gas can today and has only about a half gallon left in the jerry can.
Two boats left the anchorage at Middle Pen, so Bud thought we'd save dinghy gas if we moved over there since both Passages and Maja are there. So we picked up the anchor and moved. The move went fine, the anchor came up and went down and set in the new spot without a hitch. We checked it with the viewing bucket and the Rocna is completely buried again.
Towards noon Bud, Fuzzy and I went to the beach. I went beach-combing with Ed and Karin on Passages. Bud ended up taking Fuzzy back to the boat as the dog was hot and wouldn't walk anyway. Ed and Karin and I went to the ocean side and looked for sea beans, particularly the striped hamburger beans. Another of the ladies here had told me you had to dig for them now, the ones lying right out were all taken. We took sticks and sort of raked the rows of washed up seaweed. Ed and I each found a hamburger bean, Karin found some sea glass, but no hamburger bean. Some of the cruisers here are constructing a shade house out of found bamboo. They asked us to bring back bamboo from the ocean side. Ed found four large pieces that he tied in a bundle with pieces of rope he found. Karin and I each had two long pieces of bamboo and the 6 to 8 foot pieces we'd used to rake the seaweed. Karin also found a good length of rope. It was a bit of a struggle carrying the long poles on the twisty trail through the brush, but we all managed to bring our bounty back. We left it stacked on the beach for tomorrow's construction.
When we got back one of the locals, nick-named Monkey Man, was going among the boats at anchor selling lobster. Bud bought two big lobsters and five little ones from him for $20. Bud took the whole lobsters, not just the tails, and Monkey Man told him again how to make rice flavored with the lobster fat found in the heads. He also told Bud to take the bottom few inches of the antenna, as there is a good deal of meat there. We're getting a lot of food for our money.
There was another burn party. This time I did get a picture of Fuzzy and the land hermit crab. There was only one out tonight, but it wandered over and climbed in Fuzzy's food dish. Then Fuzzy took note and followed it as it made its way to the bushes behind the clearing. I'll add the picture when I have Internet. I now have about 50 pictures to post, so when I finally get Internet access, I'll be a while.
02/22/2012, Hog Cay, Ragged Islands
This morning Bud, Fuzzy and I walked over to House Bay to try to get some conch. The tide was in and it was too deep to see them easily. Fuzzy wouldn't sit in the shade and wait for us, so I ended up sitting with him on the edge most of the time. Bud started to find some conch, but only small ones. Finally, I found an old piece of fish trap rope and unraveled the three twisted pieces and tied them to make a line long enough to tie Fuzzy up in the shade so I could go in. That didn't work for long, Fuzzy started to cry as soon as I got out in the water. Bud was coming back anyway. I managed to get my shirt wet (I had it on over my bathing suit) and found about three small conch. We gave up and went back.
After an early lunch we decided to do the fishing, hiking thing again, leaving Fuzzy aboard. Bud took me over to the beach at Middle Pen (where most of the boats anchor). It was 11:30 and we agreed to meet back at the beach at 3 PM. Before I left the beach I took a couple of pictures of the set up there. I'll post one with this entry. It shows the benches, tables and fire pits all made from stuff found washed up along the ocean side. They have a Bocce court and balls made from fishing floats and a "Zamboni" to smooth the sand made from a plastic pallet.
I hiked across the island to the ocean side along the ridge between our anchorage and Middle Pen. I walked the beaches and found a lot more sea beans. I'm going to quit picking them up, I have too many. I then hiked back to the anchorage side through the low center. I saw a lot of goats, but was never able to get a good photo of them. I walked north along that beach and explored the cliffs on the north end. I met three women just coming back to their dinghy from a walk. They insisted I take some of their leftover water as I hadn't come out with any. They said there wasn't a trail up the cliff right there. I found another trail heading for the ocean side and took that. I walked back south along the ocean beach and came back again along the ridge trail. I got back at about a quarter to three. There were several other cruisers on the beach then, and I chatted with three other women until Bud arrived to pick me up.
Bud hadn't been able to get any conch, so he ended up fishing with lures. Barracuda like shiny lures and he had a couple of strikes, but couldn't hook them. He found his triple hook was bending, so he replaced it. He lost one more, but then was able to land one. He was afraid it might be too big to be safe to eat, so towed it through the water to show some Bahamian fishermen who were nearby. They told him that it would be good eating. They said Barracuda caught on the banks around here were okay, but the ones caught out on the ocean side were not. In any case, we're having it for supper.
Once back at the boat we both took showers. Since we've been out here I've been washing my hair in sea water, since it takes a lot of water to rinse first the shampoo and then the conditioner out of my hair. Then I go in the shower and wash the rest of me and use our fresh water to rinse. It saves a lot of water.
This afternoon Ed and Karin on Passages arrived. We dropped over to see them on our way to take Fuzzy to the beach. Dan and Nancy from Maja were there too, so we all had a nice visit. We're going to get together to do something tomorrow.