S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

The Fishing/Hiking Thing Turns Wet

15 March 2012 | Elizabeth Harbour, George Town
Jill
Bud wanted to try fishing again today, so I thought I'd do some hiking again. Stocking Island, which forms the eastern boundary of Elizabeth Harbour has quite a few very nice hiking trails. I hadn't been on the ones taking you to the north end of the island, so I thought I'd do that. We closed the boat up some, but the chance of squalls was slim today, so we didn't close it up tight. Fuzzy was staying aboard.

We still have only one hand held radio (since we seem to do these solo activities we really should have two) so we just set a time limit. We left the boat at about 10:15 and agreed to meet back on the beach at 1:30. I told Bud if I got back early I'd try to walk up to the beach closest to the boat, otherwise he'd find me at the beach with the dock as that had the trailheads for the northern trails.

I took a really nice trail over to the Atlantic side of the island (I guess technically this is the southern end of Exuma Sound, but since we're south of both Eleuthera and Cat Islands, there's really not much out there between us and the Atlantic). When I got there, this is the weather I saw. Since the wind was more or less in my face, that was the weather that was coming. It might go north or south of us a bit, or it might dissipate before it reached us. I kept walking. It was very comfortable and I had the whole beach to myself. I put two more pictures of the beaches in the album. By the way, there is no plastic trash on these beaches. There are so many cruisers that use Elizabeth Harbour that they police the beaches. You'll find some piles of bottles at the edges of the beaches, but periodically it all gets carted off.

It was a lovely walk. Just as I was getting nicely into the northern part, the weather hit. I was wearing my swimsuit with a shirt over it. That was probably good because I was soon soaked to my skin. I decided that Bud was probably not fishing in this, so I turned back. I took a different trail back to the harbor side of the island and then started down the beaches on that side. The rain let up as I approached the beach with the docks. I didn't see our dinghy anywhere, and thought perhaps Bud had decided to go back out. I was just debating taking off again on another trail when I saw Bud in the dinghy heading my way.

He'd been back to the boat. In the worst of the rain he couldn't see as far as the beach with the dock, so he put out a call on the radio to see if anyone in the anchorage saw me walking. They did, so he came out to get me. Unfortunately, as we were cruising back to the boat, the outboard quit. Bud restarted it a couple of times and each time it quit again. We were only about 100 yards from the boat, so we started paddling. Unfortunately, although the rain had quit, the wind hadn't, and it was pushing us behind the boat. We were paddling like mad and making very little progress. Bud kept yelling at me to paddle harder, but it was very tough going. A man in a dinghy came by and offered us a tow and Bud turned him down! We were very close to the boat by then, but the wind seemed to be getting stronger and our progress was slowing. Fortunately the man hung around a bit and when he saw our poor progress came back. This time we took the tow for the last 50 feet or so.

Once we were back aboard the sun came out and the wind dropped down. After lunch Bud went out to check the outboard engine. After a couple of starts and stops it started and ran fine. We put some gas treatment in it and Bud took it for a few circles upwind of the boat. It seems okay again so it must have been a piece of dirt or bit of water that got in the gas tank when Bud filled it.

Later in the day Bud thought about going back out fishing. I was considering hiking again, too, but the camera was wet, so I was trying to let that dry out. While we were thinking about it another huge row of clouds came up. We decided not to chance it. It rained a bit, not much. I told Bud if we'd gone out again it would surely have poured again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010