S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

We Missed Our Weather Window

14 April 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Great Exuma
Jill
We weren't ready to leave today. We had three things we needed to do before we go. Bud got two of them done today. First, we noticed the prop was noisy when we docked on Wednesday. Bud snorkeled down on Thursday and found that the prop was loose. When Bob put it on he tightened it as far as he could and put a cotter pin through the nut. When we used the prop the torque and the pressure of the water pushed it further up the shaft. When Bud reversed it at the dock it was pushed back down to the nut, but now there was play and it rattled. So this morning Bud put on his diving gear and went down and installed the large washer that Bob couldn't fit on the shaft the first time around. Bud would like to have tightened it a bit more than he did, but couldn't turn it further and still insert the cotter pin. He looked up the installation instructions in the owner's manual and it seems the fixed two-blade prop is supposed to have two nuts. We have only the nut from the ruined Max prop. We hope this is enough.

We also lowered the dinghy, brought it around to the side of the boat and used the preventer for the main to lift the engine. Bud put it up on the stern rail and took apart the carburetor again. It was running rough at Little Farmer's Cay when we used it. Bud saw something in the idle jet and used a straight pin to get it out. This is the second time he's done that, we don't know how stuff is getting through the fuel filter, which is clean. Perhaps the dunkings have introduced dirt that we didn't get flushed out.

The last thing we want to do is build Fuzzy's ramp. Fuzzy is feeling much better, and now he's not happy at all to be penned in when he sits on the settee. The vet said to try to keep him from jumping, so we're still using the pillows, but we need to get a ramp so we don't have to lift Fuzzy up and down all the time. He doesn't like not being able to get on and off whenever he feels like it.

These jobs aren't holding us up because we couldn't leave anyway. A front came through last evening and this morning and now strong winds have filled in from the east. The Exumas are a string of islands running mostly north to south, though the northern end is a bit west of the southern end. Anyway, the west side of the islands is very shallow water; the east side is the deep Exuma Sound. About 30 miles further east are Eleuthera to the north and Cat Island south of it. Those island form the eastern edge of Exuma Sound. We can sail on either side of the Exuma islands as far south as Farmer's Cay. From Farmer's Cay to George Town the west side is too shallow for us, unless we go miles west of the islands. So going back north, we have to go out into Exuma Sound for the first 30 miles up to Farmer's Cay. Today there was a chance of squalls and the waves built this afternoon. Tomorrow they will be 7 to 8 feet. Those are not swells; they are wind driven waves. There are 4 problems with waves like that. First, getting out of this harbor entrance is difficult, because you have to exit at an angle and then turn into the waves. Second, getting through a cut between the islands to get to an anchorage can be a problem if the tide and waves are opposing. Then the waves get very steep, and you're also fighting the current. The locals call it a rage. Third, sailing in waves like these forces you to kind of brace your body, and that would be hard on Fuzzy right now. Last, we don't want to put any extra strain on the prop. So we're waiting for the next weather window and getting all our jobs done. Once we get back to Little Farmer's Cay we can sail on the west side of the islands even when the prevailing easterly winds are strong. You can be sailing in 20 knots of wind with one to two foot waves; it's great!

I took another picture of the channel, but it's pretty hard to tell how rough it is. I took this one at the end of the man-made jetty. You can just see one of the green buoys out there, and you can see the end of a breaking wave in the channel near it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010