S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Safe Arrival in Marathon

18 April 2013 | Marathon Marina and Boatyard
Jill in Texarkana
I was waiting until about 4 PM Eastern Time to call Bud. I didn’t want to call in the morning, thinking he may be sleeping after taking his turns at the helm during the night. I thought they’d be getting in to Marathon sometime before 4 PM and didn’t want to call as they were coming in to the marina. After Adler fell asleep for his nap, I came in to check my email and there was an email from Gary with the subject “Arrived”. The email consisted of just this image of Earendil safely secured at the dock at the Marathon Marina and Boatyard.

I called Bud. They had come in, fueled up and were safely tied up at the dock by 2 PM. I figure they must have made it to Marathon about 1 PM. Doing my down and dirty plotting I got about 138 nm for that last leg of the trip (since I got the position information yesterday) so they averaged about 6.7 knots. Bud said the most interesting part of the trip was cutting in front of Miami at night. There were a number of freighters anchored and a lot of fishing boats, anchored and otherwise. The AIS (Automatic Identification System) was on the electronic chart. When a boat is within a set range it gives an alarm. All boats with AIS transponders show up as wedges on the chart, and clicking on a wedge will bring up a display of the vessel information, including length, direction of travel, speed and most importantly, time and distance of closest approach. The alarm sounded as they were crossing the main channel into Miami and Bud identified a tug that was not going to be an issue. The alarm sounded again; again it was the tug. Well, Bud had left the cursor highlighting the wedge for the tug. He didn’t realize until he glanced over his shoulder that the alarm was in response to a freighter bearing down on them and now only about a quarter mile away. Bud quickly removed them from the freighter’s path, and was reminded yet again to never rely totally on your instruments.

The wind did clock from the NE to the SE as predicted and in the middle of the night came forward enough, and was strong enough that they were able to shut the engine down. Then the wind continued to move to the south until it got too close to the front of the boat and after about 4 hours they started to motor again. As you start down along the Keys you turn gradually west, so that for the last three hours before they turned in towards Marathon they were able to sail again. Coming in to Marathon the wind was again on the stern, so they pulled the jib in.

Of course, after fighting light winds the whole trip, the wind was blowing pretty hard when they finally reached the marina. But Bud was able to pull up to the fuel dock, and then move and pull up to their assigned dock without tearing the fenders off the lifelines on the pilings along the dock.

They were all tired and happy to be there. Bud had just told Rick he was going to go back in the aft cabin, give me a call and take a nap when I called.

Looking at the picture of Earendil again in clear blue water has finally made me jealous. I’ve felt bad that I wasn’t there to help Bud. And honestly, I would rather be on the boat and working on it than not on the boat at all, but I mostly worried about Bud doing all that work on his own, with only the help that Gary was able to lend when his schedule permitted. And moving the boat far and fast, going day and night, has never been my kind of sailing. But I have always wanted to sail the boat in the Keys. I lived about two or three miles from the other end of the Seven-Mile Bridge for two winters a long time ago (with Gary, when we were married, actually, but that’s another story) and I have always loved the Keys. Now Bud and Earendil are in the Keys and I’m in Texarkana and I’m jealous. I hope Bud likes it there enough to want to go back under more leisurely circumstances.

Anyway, sitting here in Texarkana thinking about them, I’ve parsed out the trip about every way possible. By my calculations they went about 365 nm from the cut at St. Augustine in about 52 hours, making their average speed 7 knots. And that includes going in to Lake Worth to fuel up and pump out! Bud bought 55 gallons of fuel on that first stop and although I don’t have the exact mileage traveled in St. Augustine, testing the prop and going around the city and out the cut, I figure they got just about 4 nm per gallon. Not great, but they were pushing hard.

And Earendil again came through, fast and safe as she always is!
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010