S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

A Few Mistakes, and Suddenly I’m as Scared as I’ve Ever Been

13 November 2015 | Port St. Joe Marina
Jill
We left the slip in Destin at 4 AM just as planned. Bud had been very worried about finding our way back out through the narrow channel in the harbor. Once we were back in the main channel coming in off the gulf he said he could use the chartplotter and he'd be fine. I asked him if he couldn't just follow the track back out that we came in on, since our chartplotter will make a track of where you go. Mistake one: he hadn't turned that feature back on yet, so we had no track of our entrance.

The channel markers on the far end of the harbor were lit, so we had no trouble there. As we approached the other end of the harbor, where it again gets shallow and narrow, there was enough ambient light from the surroundings to pick out the unlit buoys, and we glided out in the still night without a problem. Now we were approaching the main channel. Suddenly there was a lot of current. The last of the outgoing tide was rushing out of the much larger Choctawhatchee Bay. We were going against it as we approached the main channel, and as we turned into the main channel we were going along with it.

It was much darker out here, away from the lights of town. The buoys were not all lit. I stood up on the foredeck and looked for buoys as Bud watched the chart and steered the boat. There was little wind, but there was enough that I could here the surf out on the beaches. Through the dark I picked up the white of breaking waves ahead. I came back to the cockpit and told Bud I was going to stay back there. There were steep waves from the outgoing current meeting the incoming waves. Mistake two: we had discounted the effect of current against wind, as the wind was light.

Well the wind might have been light, but there were enough waves that the border where they met the current was suddenly very rough. We were going out between two lighted buoys when we were suddenly in very rough water. I could barely stand in the cockpit and couldn't shine a light out to look for buoys. Mistake three: we had our lifejackets in the cockpit, but not on. I had put mine on to walk around the deck, but Bud hadn't and was now much too busy steering the boat to put his on.

We continued crashing out against the waves when there was a sudden thump. I thought something had happened to the engine. "We're aground!" Bud called. Mistake four: Bud had the chartplotter set to a very small area so he could see the detail of the channel, but in the stress of steering with the waves had somehow gotten out of the channel and was now disoriented and could not see where to get back. The boat lurched and thumped. Bud was fighting the wheel and gunning the engine. The boat turned sideways to the waves and was rocking wildly. "Shouldn't we call for help?" I asked. "No," Bud replied, "find those marks on shore". I took our spotlight and shown it out but could find no marks anywhere. "Shouldn't we call for help?" I asked again. "No, we're moving." said Bud. "Put out the jib." I started to move around the cockpit getting lines set to release the jib. It was slow work in the bucking boat. I could feel the boat move a little as each wave came, then thump on the sand again. Now we were turned around and headed somewhat back towards the shore, but we could also see one of the lighted buoys. Bud headed towards that as I fearfully worked on the jib. Just as we were ready to set the sail the lurching grew much less and the forward movement got much greater. "Never mind the jib, we're back at the channel." Bud now wanted me to try to find the channel marks again as he brought the boat around. We were past the worst of the waves, but it was still very rough. I shown the spotlight out and up ahead, not far off our starboard side I saw a green refection. As I continued to shine the spotlight around I was able to see a red reflection not too far off our port side. Wow, the channel was really narrow here. There was a lone white light a ways ahead. It was then that I figured out that the white light was the center of the channel and we should steer towards it. Bud did. Mistake four: we should have known before we set out that there were only two lighted buoys and that the white light was the center of the channel. I should have known to look for the two unlit buoys fairly close together. We should have studied the chart, even though we thought it was going to be a quiet ride out.

It was still very rough but I could finally take a moment to look down into the cabin to where Matey was. He was huddled on the settee, looking very scared. Once we were out in deeper water I went down below. It was hard to see with only the red safety lights on, but I could see that a few things had fallen on the settee near Matey. I picked him up and moved to the other side of the cabin where there was more room. I sat with him and petted and soothed him for about a half hour.

Once it got light I was able to set things more in order. We decided it was really no more bouncy up in the cockpit than it was in the cabin, so we brought Matey up and hooked him into his harness. He was happier then.

It was an uncomfortable ride the whole day. We motor-sailed with the jib out, but the wind was from the stern and it was hard to keep the jib full. We put our lifejackets on and with the autopilot steering the boat, went out on deck and set our pole to hold the jib out. That took a while and was a lot of work. We were both hot and sweaty; Bud decided that we should come into the marina here at Port St. Joe instead of doing the anchorage. He was too tired to launch the dinghy to get Matey ashore and anyway he needed a shower. Besides, the guy at the Marbella Yacht Club had not charged us for that slip since he felt bad that we'd ended up aground. It was a long day (almost twelve hours and over 70 nm) with a harrowing start, but we are now safe and secure in a nice marina in a very nice little town. Bud feels terrible about going aground; he knows I now have another bad experience sailing at night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010