S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

So What Was Broken…and Is It Fixed?

15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
Jill
We dropped the mooring ball this morning and motored about two hours to the northeast to the Gulf Harbor Marina on the Caloosahatchee River, a very nice marina with floating docks. We plugged into shore power and I watched the control panel on the inverter/charger as Bud switched it on. No problems. The batteries were charging and we had pass-through power to the 110 circuits run from the inverter.

So, the inverter is OK, there must be some problem with the generator. After lunch and a walk for Matey we tackled the generator. It took about 45 minutes to back out the two screws that hold on the cover, about 2 minutes for the one in front and the rest of the time for the one you can’t see that’s partially blocked by the generator exhaust hose. Of course, once loose we found that there wasn’t room to actually remove the cover. You could push it back and get a two-inch slot to access the generator. According to the manual there are only four parts that wear out and might need to be replaced, the brushes, the capacitor, the rectifier and the bearings. The bearings are OK, so that left the other three. We could just see the brushes on outside and the capacitor. I was trying to download a technical manual for the unit which I hoped would tell us exactly how to access these parts, as it wasn’t obvious from the parts diagram we had and we’d be working through a 2-inch slot. Meanwhile, Bud noticed a tiny spot on a wire going over a metal bracket and to the capacitor. It looked like the insulation was worn and the wire had been arcing.

Could that be the problem? Could it be so simple? We couldn’t get electrical tape wrapped around it, no room. We tried slitting a piece of heat shrink wire wrap. We slid it on the wire, worked the slit side up and worked it down the wire until it covered the flaw. But when we heated it with the heat gun it curled back away from the wire instead of shrinking down onto it. Then we painstakingly took apart a heat shrink wire connector, to get the heavy heat shrink tube off it. We worked that onto the wire and slid it in place. The heat gun didn’t seem to affect it (we couldn’t get the heat gun closer than a couple of inches from it) so we tried our propane grill lighter. That seemed to partly melt one end, but at least it seemed like it was stuck in place. So we replaced the cover and the front screw and tried it. On the first try the control panel shut down. Bud wanted to try again with the air conditioner on to lower the voltage going to the inverter. It worked, it ran, it passed through current to the AC circuits and the batteries were charging.

So what was broken? Definitely the generator. And is it fixed? Maybe. We turned off the shore power for the evening to let the batteries run down and we plan to try it again in the morning. If it still works we’ll take the cover back off and check the placement of our improvised insulation. When we’re satisfied with that we’ll put the cover back and put both screws in. Then after laundry and some other chores we’ll leave this fine marina and go back to a mooring ball to wait for our weather window and see if the generator continues to work. My suggestion was that we sell the boat while everything was working!
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010