Endeavor Together

21 May 2013 | Sea of Cortez
03 May 2013 | Mazatlan to the Sea of Cortez 4/23/13 - 4/25/13
19 April 2013 | Isla Isabel, Nayarit, Mexico
19 April 2013 | Banderas Bay
18 March 2013 | Banderas Bay
13 March 2013 | Sayulita
07 January 2013 | Various villages around Morelia
06 January 2013 | Our road trip to Morelia and surrounding villages
23 December 2012 | Zihuatanejo
18 December 2012 | La Cruz, Carrizal, & Zihuatanejo
17 December 2012 | La Cruz
05 December 2012 | Out at sea....
05 December 2012 | La Cruz
29 November 2012 | East Cape
29 November 2012 | Sea of Cortez
02 November 2012 | La Paz
04 June 2012 | Sea of Cortez

Michoacan - part 1 - Dec 19 - 20,2012

06 January 2013 | Our road trip to Morelia and surrounding villages
by Gina...
We decided last spring that our 2nd and final year of cruising would include more side trips to explore inland Mexico. Since we knew we'd be settled in Zihuatanejo through the holidays, we took advantage of the time and headed up into the hills of the state of Michoacan, spending 3 nights in Morelia and visiting a few of the surrounding villages.

Terry and Diane watched over Endeavor as we headed out of town in our premium class seats aboard Parhikuni bus line to Morelia. No, there were not any chickens or roving Mariachi bands aboard....this bus was blissfully plush, clean, quiet and more comfortable than any airplane I've been in! Each seat was provided with a screen to watch movies, surf the web, listen to music, or play games. Of course the internet wasn't working and all the movies were in Spanish, but the kids were perfectly content and in no hurry to leave the comforts of the bus. We sat back and enjoyed the 5 ½ hour air conditioned ride through the beautiful countryside, climbing higher and higher up into the hills of Michoacan. The view from our window transformed from the familiar tropical vegetation to dryer rolling cactus covered hillsides, gradually resembling nothing of the Mexico we've seen and more like the familiar terrain of central Oregon, including the scrubby Pine trees (which made Sydney extremely happy!). Taking us up to over 6000 feet, the hills and valleys became obviously more fertile and green, revealing quaint farming communities scattered along the countryside.


The entrance to Casona Rosa. More pictures in gallery!

Finally as we reached the sprawling city of Morelia (pop. 1,000,000) in the middle of rush hour traffic, we were feeling ready and anxious to disembark. The bus terminal in Morelia was more like a small airport bustling with activity! When Rick paid for the taxi to take us to Casona Rosa, the place we'd call home for the next 3 nights, we assumed it would be close since the cost of the taxi was only 30 pesos. As soon as the cab left the terminal we noticed the surrounding neighborhood was sketchy. The streets were full of trash and every single building was completely covered in graffiti. We were all feeling a bit nervous but finally we saw evidence of the city we had read about and we all breathed a sigh of relief! It seemed as though we drove out of Mexico and into Europe! We turned onto Galeana and stopped in front of Casona Rosa, rang the bell outside the cast iron door, and immediately were greeted with open arms and a kiss on the cheek by Maria. She quickly brought us in, gave us a tour and showed us to the "Patzcuaro Suite", which was perfect for our family. This lovely 16th century home offers 5 suites, each uniquely decorated with the various artwork handcrafted from local artisans from the surrounding villages. We immediately felt right at home and was already regretting not booking a 4th night!



Fernando & Maria!

After chatting with Maria, we decided to spend the evening exploring the city. Casona Rosa is within walking distance to all the main attractions up and down Madera and along the quaint side streets. We walked all the way down to the aqua duct, enjoying the city lit up for Christmas, and continued on to the colony of Inmaculada where we met Maria and her sweet husband Fernando for dinner at their neighborhood church. In the bustling basement of Iglesia Inmaculada you'll find a co-op of volunteers serving up local favorites such as tamales, enchiladas, Pescole soup, Carundas (triangle shaped tamales without filling), all for 10 to 15peso each (about $1.00USD). For dessert we had Bunuelo, which is a very tasty tortilla covered in brown sugar and cinnamon and deep fried. Yes, it was delicious. My favorite part of the evening was just being among this beautiful culture and amazing community. We were the only gringos in the neighborhood, if not the entire city of Morelia! Oh I forgot to mention that since the elevation of Morelia is above 6000 feet, this gringo cruising family was freezing their fannies off!


Hot Cocoa and Lattes at Augustinos!



The next day was a day spent exploring the city more thoroughly! After enjoying freshly baked pastries that Maria so kindly brought in for us, we stepped outside about 9am and WOW! It was so cold we could see our breath! Off we went and successfully scouted out the perfect breakfast spot, Augustinos, which the kids claim serves up the BEST hot chocolate they've ever had. The café Latte made me pretty happy, too! From there we walked through the majestic Plaza de Armas to the Cathedral, officially named Cathedral of the Divine Savior of Morelia. It was built over the 17th & 18th century and I just don't have the words to describe the beauty. It was simply amazing! As we walked through this colonial city, rich with architecture mainly from the 17th century, it felt like we were walking through the streets of Spain. Morelia has been described as being more like Spain than Spain! We walked through museums and by government offices that were once palaces, and through churches, monasteries, and schools. I was proud of the boys for hanging in there through the early afternoon before they walked their tired feet back to the casa. Sydney and I lasted a few hours longer. We shopped a bit, hit a corner ice cream parlor, and finally gave up, dragging ourselves back for a rest. We didn't want to give up but our feet thought otherwise!



We ended our day with a fantastic meal at a restaurant called "LU", located across the street from the beautifully decorated and festive plaza. It must have been the combination of colder weather, a city decorated for Christmas, and the beautiful Cathedral that finally made it feel like Christmastime!
Comments
Vessel Name: Endeavor
Vessel Make/Model: Taswell 49 sloop
Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
Crew: Rick, Gina, James and Sydney Phillips
Endeavor's Photos - Main
15 Photos
Created 21 May 2013
Agua Verde, Loreto, Isla Coronados, Los Gatos, Isla Espiritu Santo
74 Photos
Created 21 May 2013
49 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
Endeavor gets a new bottom 4/09/13 - 4/23/13
16 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
54 Photos
Created 16 April 2013
Includes La Cruz, sailing Banderas Bay, Sunday Market, Punta de Mita, Holy week.. etc.......
48 Photos
Created 3 April 2013
Sydney's photography
46 Photos
Created 18 March 2013
A day in Sayulita watching an international surf competition. Too Much FUN! 3/9/13
50 Photos
Created 11 March 2013
Just a few pics...it was a rough ride so pictures were not a high priority....
14 Photos
Created 5 March 2013
25 Photos
Created 16 February 2013
34 Photos
Created 16 February 2013
While anchored in Santiago, we took a day trip tour to the capital city of Calima...with interesting stops along the way...
41 Photos
Created 16 February 2013
30 Photos
Created 16 February 2013
10 Photos
Created 16 February 2013
12/19/12
9 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
Our trip to Michoacan 12/20/12
15 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
Our trip to Michoacan 12/20/12
27 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
Our trip to Michoacan 12/20/12
24 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
Our trip to Michoacan 12/20/12
18 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
Our trip to Michoacan 12/20/12
16 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
Our trip to Michoacan 12/18 - 12/20
32 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
76 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
18 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Our road trip to Morelia - December 19-22, 2012
24 Photos
Created 23 December 2012
December 3 - 15, 2012
53 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
10 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
1-/22/12-11/01/12
46 Photos
Created 2 November 2012
43 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
Bahia Concepcion 5/19/12 - 5/25/12 & 5/28/11 - 5/30/12
20 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
Bahia Concepcion 5/16/12 - 5/19/12 & 5/25/12 - 5/28/12
20 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
27 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
19 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
9 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
5/3/12 - 5/7/12
14 Photos
Created 7 May 2012
22 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
44 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
Day 2 Mazatlan to Sea of Cortez. Water was crystal clear and the dolphins were beautiful!
6 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
11 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
includes plaza, Melville Boutique hotel, the theatre, orphanage
34 Photos
Created 19 April 2012
April 12, 2012
22 Photos
Created 13 April 2012
18 Photos
Created 13 April 2012
Misc. pics of our fav little town
22 Photos
Created 13 April 2012
Another field trip with April from Wave House March 24, 2012
86 Photos
Created 13 April 2012
Feild trip with April from Wave House 3/15/12
46 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
February 24ish, 2012
20 Photos
Created 28 March 2012
February 20, 2012
16 Photos
Created 28 March 2012
Banderas Bay December 20th - ish?
10 Photos
Created 7 February 2012
February 5-7, 2012
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
February 2 - 5, 2012
5 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
January 19-23, 2012
16 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
January 1-15, 2012 La Cruz, Puerto Vallarta, Chamela, Tenacatita, Barra, Los Hadas
71 Photos
Created 15 January 2012
25 Photos
Created 15 January 2012
December 10-17, 2011
43 Photos
Created 15 January 2012
Matanchen
34 Photos
Created 8 December 2011
November 30 - December 2
21 Photos
Created 8 December 2011
34 Photos
Created 8 December 2011
10 Photos
Created 12 November 2011
79 Photos
Created 12 November 2011
9/7/11 through 9/11/12
21 Photos
Created 12 September 2011
8/28/11 through 9/5/11
29 Photos
Created 12 September 2011
August 24, 2011
19 Photos
Created 24 August 2011
August 22 & 23, 2011
14 Photos
Created 24 August 2011
Saturday, August 21, 2011
8 Photos
Created 22 August 2011
9 Photos
Created 22 August 2011
11 Photos
Created 15 August 2011
“Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.” Henry David Thoreau