Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Ephesus

30 January 2011 | Ephesus
Dave and Judy

We've joined up again with Gwen on her overnighter to the ancient site of Ephesus. This area has been inhabited for ten thousand years and has been ruled over by just about everybody. (Romans, Greeks, etc.) It was the second largest city in this part of the world next to Rome for centuries. It's demise was mainly from the rivers silting up the bay, many earthquakes in this region, and constant take over from warring despots. Can't they just get along?
Ephesus



We were astounded by it's size and magnitude. This time Gwen had our favorite driver Tansel and a new guide for us, the super experienced Mevroosh. They made it a grand time for all 12 of us sailors packed into their van. Our first stop was for breakfast. I just loved the Greek style chicken rice soup. Davey had lentil. Turks eat soup for breakfast. Fortunately for us the day warmed up and we were between storms. Last years group were rained out and never made it outside of their hotel.
Finally we arrived at the ancient city. We clomped around the ruins for 3 hours listening to all of the history and events of the inhabitants here. If you used your imiganation you could see what it must have been like a couple of thousand years ago. Beautiful marble sculpture and architecture. Water everywhere coming from beautiful fountains. Scantly clothed Goddesses around every corner...Oops! Gotta watch that imagination.





The Amphitheater held 25,000 spectators ~ amazing!!! (not if you were a Christian)



The Austrians have built an impressive building over an entire area of dwellings dating back to antiquity. Many of the wall paintings and mosiacs have been preserved along with the "townhouses" they were in. The infrastructure was very advanced with running water and sewer throughout.



After our big adventure Mevroosh rewarding us with such a tasty late lunch that we didn't even need our dinner later.
This intersection of Greek, Roman, Christian and Muslem historical sights centers around the town of Selcuk We waddled around the site of The House of Mary, the Basilica of St John and the last stop before calling it quits for the day the Ehpesus Museum. They were lucky to have any artifacts left as so many have been stolen by all of the worldwide museums.
Ephesus Museum



Our KoruMar Hotel Delux in Kusadasi was right on the water with a fabulous view of the harbor. It was a shame we missed the sunset.



We did catch it's scenic atmosphere the next morning though when we woke to another sunshinny day. Luck was with us!!!
We persuaded our driver to make a little detour for some Starbucks on the way out of town. We're off to wrestle some camels......

Check out More Pictures

Google Earth for much more
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.