Our Next 30 Years

24 October 2023
01 October 2023
30 September 2023
29 September 2023
21 September 2023
18 September 2023
04 September 2023
29 August 2023
30 December 2020
02 April 2019 | Chula Vista Marina, San Diego, California
02 March 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
16 January 2019 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane River, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
11 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia
09 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia
04 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia

Day 9 - NZ to Suva

30 May 2017 | 18 07.3'S:178 25.4'E, Royal Suva Yacht Club Anchorage, Suva, Fiji
We arrived Suva around noon local time. We had quite a ride getting here after winds built to 25kts plus last night. Once again I was reminded why we reef before night fall after pronouncing that we would go for it, and not reef so we could keep our speed up and try to arrive in Suva before dark the next day. By 8 PM I had woken the crew and we were putting the first reef in and before midnight the second call went out and the second reef was put in place. With the 2nd reef we were able to keep the boatspeed under double digits, and the comfort level higher. By daybreak the winds had eased and it was time to shake a reef out -WRONG. Luckily I elected to do a few housekeeping jobs (dumping the holding tanks) and let people get some breakfast before tackling that job. Good thing! within 30 minutes the winds were back in the 20-25kt raange and there was no doubt that we would make it to Suva before nightfall. Cindy made us a great lunch of chicken curry and rice while we waited for Customs to arrive and clear us in. We will have 4-5 days at least here in Suva to do a little sight seeing, provisioning and some time to work through a short list of things that were not as they should be on the passage. While this was certainly not the passage that had been forecast, it could have been much worse - as our experience last year reminds us. The take-away is that forecasting the weather during these transition times of year is still difficult, dispite todays technology.
Comments
Vessel Name: Songlines
Vessel Make/Model: 60' power catamaran designed by Malcolm Tennant
Hailing Port: Austin, Texas
Crew: David and Cindy Balfour
Social:
Songlines's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

MV Songlines

Who: David and Cindy Balfour
Port: Austin, Texas