SV Impulsive

01 June 2016 | Daniels Bay
26 April 2016 | Taiohae, Nuku Hiva
24 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
23 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
23 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
21 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
18 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
15 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
11 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
09 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
07 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
05 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
04 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
03 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
02 April 2016 | Pacific Ocean
31 March 2016 | Pacific Ocean
30 March 2016 | Pacific Ocean
29 March 2016 | Pacific Ocean
28 March 2016 | Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
16 March 2016 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

San Blas, Matanchen, and Chacala

27 January 2015 | mainland Mexico
Deb
The day sail from Isla Isabel to San Blas and further to Ensenada de Matanchen (large cove 4 nm south of San Blas) took about 10 hours. It was easy passage - sailing when we could, motor sailing when the winds died.

In route to San Blas within 1.5 miles of the boat we witnessed one humpback whale that did 16 consecutive BIG tail flaps sometimes with ½ the body out of the water for emphasis. Very intimidating and we opted not to get any closer. We are still trying to figure out if the tail slapping is a mating behavior, a sign of aggression, or an aid to fishing. The Internet is all over the place on that one. Our prevailing theory leans towards fishing. The whales also do a "flapping" (slaps with their long fins) that is pretty impressive too. We witnessed this up close on our way to Banderas Bay when one whale was within 100 ft of the boat. It was so close that you could see the barnacles on the whale, and there were 3-4 dolphins swimming around it as well. This led us to think the flapping/tail slapping was a fishing endeavor to stun fish, and the dolphins were opportunistic feeders scooping up stunned fish. If anyone has more information please share!

Sunset Ensenada de Matanchen
sunset Matanchen

Our first sunset in Matanchen was outstanding as you can see. What a welcome, but to be honest it was this pretty every night. This does not suck.

Ensenada de Matanchen
Ensenada Matanchen

Matanchen bay is lined with palm trees, Mangroves, and palapas (many of which were only open on the weekends catering to tourists). The lush green of the palm trees and mangroves were a very welcome change to Baja Sur's arid desert climate. There are several rivers that dump into the cove and surrounding area so the water was pretty murky, and we did not swim in it though a billion small yellow fin tuna did. The water virtually percolated with them as they enjoyed the shade created by our boat.

Overlooking San Blas
overlooking San Blas

About 5 miles from Enscenada Matanchen is the town of San Blas, mainly a fishing town that also caters to the bird watchers due to the many estuaries, mangroves home to hundreds of species of wintering birds and marine life. We stayed in the bay for 5 days dinghy'ing to shore and taking taxi's into San Blas several times to explore.

Rio Tovara tour
Mangroves Rio Tovara tour

We did a couple Jungle River tours with our friends from Scoots. One tour up Rio Tavara was pretty touristy, but very well done. It really came off feeling like a Disney Animal Kingdom ride, which is not a bad thing. The guide was knowledgeable knowing where to stop for all the birds, reptiles, etc.

La Tovara Springs
La Tovara Springs

There was a natural spring that fed the river which had a restaurant at its source and we enjoyed lovely fish tacos spring side. You could swim in the spring, which was netted off from the river (think crocodiles), but we skipped that opportunity. Past the spring there is a Cocodrilario (crocodile sanctuary) that had at least a dozen large crocs in large pens, as well as a zoo with local critters (parrots, jaguars, deer, etc.). This too was clean and worth the stop.

Crocs sunning on the banks
croc on the bank

Our second tour was ad hoc up the Estero de San Cristobal river aboard a open fiberglass ponga. This was an al natural real deal jungle trip, with no groomed mangrove tunnels or zoos at the end. We experienced crocodiles sunning on the banks, diving into the water as we passed in the boat (intimidating as some of them were huge), too many birds to show, and a lovely lagoon 2 hours up river. Check out the pics in the gallery.

Estero de San Cristobal river
Estero de San Cristobal river

At one point the river was choked with floating vegetation, and it was surreal pushing our way through at slow speed. I was thankful that our guide had put oars into the boat along with the seat cushions (benches get hard after hours sitting as I am sure you know). I tried to list the names of some of the birds we saw on the photo gallery titles, but I am still not great at identification even with the books I borrowed from Scoots. I am putting it down as one of my "stretch goals" to learn more about birds this year. Sure beats the band out of those painful "work stretch goals." I tell you I do not miss those slogans (synergy, do more with less, better faster, suck all the blood from your body and throw away the husk...).

Wood storks with nesting babies
wood storks

Speaking of bloodless husks the mangroves around the bay were also home to no-see-ums called Jejenes (jay-hay-nays). These little blood suckers were the size of a pin head, nothing but teeth, virtually everywhere, and they loved me. Morris was lucky as they did not chew on him too much. Now I am not one to advocate chemicals and pesticides, but thank goodness for DEET. Unfortunately the Avon skin so soft I started with just attracted them like an appetizer, and I was the entrée. I survived, but needless to say there proximity was a deciding factor when it came to a departure date.

Turtles sunning on Rio Tovara
turtles

We left for Chacala 23 nm south on the 21st and stayed for only a couple nights. Yeah no Jejenes here except those few that migrated with us. Chacala was a really rolly anchorage and we set the stern anchor along with the bow anchor for the first time, which helped set us into the swells and settle the roll. Chacala is a quiet little tourist town, though locals also fish. We visited the town our first full day, and spent a lovely long lunch using WiFi at a palapa on shore in front of our boat.

Great game fisher
fish on

Fish on!!! Morris is now an official big game fish angler well wetted. This beautiful 33" yellow fin tuna (atun) was played perfectly on a light rod and small 1" hook for about 30 minutes before giving up the fight. Boy did he taste good in fish tacos that night as well. It was odd though how other tuna in the school escorted this one through the whole ordeal (for the fish) almost in sympathy.

Hooked fish escorted by fellows in school
hooked fish

Well we would have liked to tarry down the coast a little slower but foul weather was predicted. There was a small storm coming from the south, and another to follow from the north. With exposed anchorages between us and Banderas Bay Impulsive and our buddy boat Scoots decided to sail directly to La Cruz (de Huanacaxtle) and the Marina Rivera Nayarit.

Welcome to La Cruz
La Cruz

We arrived here Saturday late afternoon taking our time to slow sail (aka light winds), and make water before entering the marina. We were amazed with the wild life in this huge bay that is 23 miles long and 20 miles deep.

La Cruz is very close to Puerto Vallarta our next destination where we plan to meet our daughter Chelsea and later our good friend Kathy. Yesterday we were happy to welcome Seattle friends Jim and Toby aboard the boat and later to share a bottle of wine at the restaurant overlooking the marina. It is such a small world when you pop into a random location, and meet up with friends from home. Again this does not suck. Chow for now from La Cruz.
Comments
Vessel Name: Impulsive
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA, USA
Crew: Morris and Debbie Adams
About: Morris Adams, Retired Boeing after 33 years, Electrical Engineer doing Integrated Circuit Design. Debra Adams (Debbie), Retired Verizon Wireless after close to 20 years, Electrical Engineer doing RF Engineering Systems Design.
Social:
Impulsive's Photos - Main
36 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
3 Photos
Created 16 March 2016
San Juanico south to Isla Coronados
9 Photos
Created 23 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 12 November 2015
Alcan passage 2015
18 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
Fun in the Sun
16 Photos
Created 2 April 2015
Z-town
9 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Arrival
7 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
My backyard...this week
6 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
Jungles, Crocodile, birds, and FISH on!
36 Photos
Created 26 January 2015
Parque Nacionale Isla Isabel
37 Photos
Created 25 January 2015
Destinations north
22 Photos
Created 1 January 2015
Gobs of stuff
7 Photos
Created 13 December 2014
I made these...
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2014
Town and cell towers
17 Photos
Created 9 December 2014
4 Photos
Created 28 November 2014
San Diego to Cabo San Lucas Mexico
21 Photos
Created 12 November 2014
Coronado Beach and Point Loma
5 Photos
Created 25 October 2014
Solar Panels
4 Photos
Created 25 October 2014
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2014
Nine months in the making, but well worth it!
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2014
Grandkids having fun
21 Photos
Created 3 September 2014