Sailing with Inspiration

a journal detailing the cruising adventures of the sailing catamaran Inspiration

03 July 2016 | Prickley Bay, Grenada
14 May 2016 | Ste. Anne, Martinique
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
29 February 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
08 July 2015 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
03 July 2015 | Grenada, WI
06 June 2015 | Fort de France, Martinique
25 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
17 May 2015 | Barbuda
15 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
30 April 2015 | Barbuda
24 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
13 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
30 March 2015 | Deshaies, Guadalupe
23 March 2015 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
23 March 2015 | Calviny Bay, Grenada
12 March 2015 | Grenada, WI

Trinidad: Boat work & Carnival

29 February 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
Gary
We left Grenada at 6pm the end of January for an overnight sail to Trinidad. This trip had taken us 14 hrs & 12 hrs previously but with adverse wind conditions, it took us 16 hours this time. After clearing Immigration & Customs, we were hauled out of the water at the Power Boats boatyard. This is a great yard with lots of wonderful people working for them. They are extremely customer-centric and refreshing to work with when so many we have come across have a "manyana" attitude. And we have a LOT of maintenance that needs to be done.

We are: having the (hull) bottoms sanded & painted, the reefing & (mainsail) outhaul lines replaced, a new cabinet (for dishes) custom built and a new (upright) refrigerator installed. The new fridge will take out the current cabinet where the dishes & glasses currently live. We're getting the anchor windlass cleaned & lubed, new batteries installed (& re-configuring them to be more efficient), fiberglass (on the hull) patched or repaired in a couple places, our sunshade patched, dinghy "chaps" made for our new dinghy (to protect from the sun & dog claws), scrapping & painting the saildrives, cleaning the props (& having one machined where it's slightly bent) and a host of small work items. Luckily, there are contractors in Power Boats or the surrounding boat yards who can take care of the bulk of this work. The rest is being done by Margi & myself, including lots of prep work to reduce the hour charges by those doing the heavy stuff.

But it's not all work & no play! We timed our trip to correspond with Carnival (Mardi Gras in New Orleans). We went to several of the pre-Carnival events - The Children's Parade, Old Town (classic Carnival) and the King & Queen of Carnival Finalists show. Then we left at 6am on Fat Tuesday for the big parade, which lasted from 9am until past 5pm. We left early to beat the traffic and get good seats in covered bleachers set up for viewing. These were full long before the parade ever started. As we were sitting next to lots of Trinis, they filled us in on backgrounds, talked about Trinidad and offered us drinks (coconut water & Scotch is delicious).

Pictures are in the Photo Gallery (a link on the right) and then in the Trinidad folder. Some of these are below with expanded explanations. The top photo is from the Kings & Queens Finals competition. One thing to note, all the pictures taken there were taken from quite a long ways away (so zoomed all the way in) in a dark setting and with the contestants dancing / moving for the judges. Hence, the quality in some leaves a bit to be desired.


In the streets of Port of Spain on Fat Tuesday

There were a lot of Native American Indian costumes & a few groups with all authentic Native American costumes. I asked some Trinis about this & was told they like to honor many different groups.


This one is one of the King of Carnival finalists


This ballerina was another King of Carnival finalist. He did a short rendition of Swan Lake that was fabulous. Then, to show he was still "Trini" he boogied to some socca (island music).


This was the winner of the King of Carnival contest - Psychedelic Nightmare. All the figures moved - bowing & then standing up, while the lighting (in the dark) was magnificent.


Here is the winner of the Queen of Carnival - in the Fat Tuesday parade.


As you can see, there were lots of fantastic costumes. They spend several months preparing them.


And, of course, lots of beautiful, scantily-clad girls.

Comments
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ 36 LRC
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Gary Lehnertz / Margi Lehnertz
About: Margi has wrapped up her tax returns and has now joined the boat. (Brad is back in Alaska - until next winter. Brad has lived in Alaska for the past 30+ years. He's now wintering in south Florida and is assisting on the trip to the eastern Caribbean.)
Extra:
We are taking my sailboat cruising through the Bahamas, then to the Virgin Islands followed by the eastern Caribbean (Leeward & Windward Islands). With the late start we go leaving George Town, we are working our way East & South. We will probably skip the Virgin Islands & the Leeward islands [...]
Inspiration's Photos - Main
Photos of Martinique
3 Photos
Created 3 July 2016
Pictures from visiting Trinidad
214 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
7 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 15 April 2015
pictures from Dominica
18 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
Parades & sights during Carnival at Port de France, Martinique
95 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
Pictures from the Grenada Carnival
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
more sunsets - sun rise comes too early!
29 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Places we have been, People we have met
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of Inspirations crew (2 & 4 legged)
51 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
shots around the inside & outside of the boat
39 Photos
Created 15 March 2012