Sailing with Inspiration

a journal detailing the cruising adventures of the sailing catamaran Inspiration

03 July 2016 | Prickley Bay, Grenada
14 May 2016 | Ste. Anne, Martinique
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
29 February 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
08 July 2015 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
03 July 2015 | Grenada, WI
06 June 2015 | Fort de France, Martinique
25 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
17 May 2015 | Barbuda
15 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
30 April 2015 | Barbuda
24 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
13 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
30 March 2015 | Deshaies, Guadalupe
23 March 2015 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
23 March 2015 | Calviny Bay, Grenada
12 March 2015 | Grenada, WI

Boat work - almost done

28 August 2012 | Spice Island Boat Yard, Grenada
Gary
Working on the boat on the hard. Pictured above showing my supervisor & 1 of the projects.

As we came through the islands, we found a number of things that needed work. Having a boat is like a house in that there's always work that needs to be done on it. But houses don't move (normally) and aren't subjected to continual immersion or spray from salt water, which add to the maintenance issues. I had a list of work items - some I could do & several that needed someone else with the expertise I lacked. The boat was hauled out at 11 am, the bottom scrapped & pressure washed. There were some barnicles but they popped off nicely with the scrappers. Worse, to me, was the huge mass of plant life that had startede to sprout on the bottom. The pressure wash got rid of almost all of that stuff.

I had talked with the boatyard in terms of the work I needed done before I was hauled. After getting the boat out of the water I started to confirm that people would be there to do what was needed.The 1st guy to show up was the mechanic to work on the starboard diesel engine (it would run for an hour & quit, after a 15 min rest it would start up again) and the port saildrive/transmission (which would not go into forward after hitting that fish trap float in The Saintes). I spent almost an hour before he arrived in unbolting the engine & transmission because I "knew" we would need to pull the transmission out. Turns out the shift linkage was out of alignment & the holding bracket was slightly bent. So it was an easy fix - after which I re-bolted everything. He also found the source (we think) of the air leak into the starboard engine's fuel line. In all, he worked 2 hours & charged me the equivalent of $30/hour! In Florida, that would have been $80 - $120/hr.

Next came the rigging crew to check out the masthead navigation & anchor lights. I had noticed in the Bahamas that the nav lights at the top of the mast did not work & the anchor light only lit up in the stern quadrant, rather than all the way around. They pulled the LED unit off the top of the mast and took it to their shop for testing. It turns out the unit was bad. We looked at replacements at the Budget Marine store that's right next to the boatyard. They had an LED unit in stock for about $450, which was comperable to what it would cost in the US (as the government of Grenada does not charge taxes or import duties on equipment for transient boats). Then I remembered the store was advertising a huge sale for Friday (this was Tuesday). I asked the store manager if this would be on sale Friday & he said he could do that. I ended up getting a 25% discount on it! So Friday morning the riggers installed it & I now have a good anchor light.

In addition to all this, we had noticed that almost all the stitching around the trampoline was gone. So I unfastened it, pulled it off & took that into the riggers to be re-sewn. I got it back on Thursday, installed it on Saturday and realized I needed help re-connecting it. I checked with the rigger shop on the following Monday & they sent a guy out to help, so it's all ready to go.

During all this, I had a number of tasks that I had on my list to get accomplished. So I was busy working to get that stuff done while trying to stay out of the sun & heat as much as possible. At this point, almost everything is done & I should go back into the water Wednesday.

Finally, I took a trip into St Georges with Reinna & Clint from Karma on Thursday. They gave me a mini-tour and showed me where everything was. That was extremely interesting & the subject of my next post.
Comments
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ 36 LRC
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Gary Lehnertz / Margi Lehnertz
About: Margi has wrapped up her tax returns and has now joined the boat. (Brad is back in Alaska - until next winter. Brad has lived in Alaska for the past 30+ years. He's now wintering in south Florida and is assisting on the trip to the eastern Caribbean.)
Extra:
We are taking my sailboat cruising through the Bahamas, then to the Virgin Islands followed by the eastern Caribbean (Leeward & Windward Islands). With the late start we go leaving George Town, we are working our way East & South. We will probably skip the Virgin Islands & the Leeward islands [...]
Inspiration's Photos - Main
Photos of Martinique
3 Photos
Created 3 July 2016
Pictures from visiting Trinidad
214 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
7 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 15 April 2015
pictures from Dominica
18 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
Parades & sights during Carnival at Port de France, Martinique
95 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
Pictures from the Grenada Carnival
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
more sunsets - sun rise comes too early!
29 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Places we have been, People we have met
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of Inspirations crew (2 & 4 legged)
51 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
shots around the inside & outside of the boat
39 Photos
Created 15 March 2012