Sailing with Inspiration

a journal detailing the cruising adventures of the sailing catamaran Inspiration

03 July 2016 | Prickley Bay, Grenada
14 May 2016 | Ste. Anne, Martinique
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
29 February 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
08 July 2015 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
03 July 2015 | Grenada, WI
06 June 2015 | Fort de France, Martinique
25 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
17 May 2015 | Barbuda
15 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
30 April 2015 | Barbuda
24 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
13 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
30 March 2015 | Deshaies, Guadalupe
23 March 2015 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
23 March 2015 | Calviny Bay, Grenada
12 March 2015 | Grenada, WI

On the Move Again

23 March 2015 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
Gary
After spending way too much time in Grenada, we finally have stared moving north again. Part of the problem in leaving was completing all the boat maintenance that needed to be done. However, we have also had a nasty winter/spring in terms of weather as well. Normally, there's a couple weeks to maybe a moth of really high winds around the middle or end of December (the Christmas winds). This year, they stared in early December and continued until mid-March! It's not much fun to be going north when you're going into north-east winds blowing 25 mph and pushing up 8' seas! But finally we got a break. It looks like the weather pattern is changing for the better.

To prepare for leaving, we sailed around to the anchorage off St George's on Monday. This is on the west coast towards the south end of the island. We hauled up the anchor at 6am Tuesday morning and headed north. We still had a NE wind, but only blowing 15+ mph. Being on the west (leeward) side of the island, we had 1'-2' seas with a mild swell coming from the north. As we were heading into the wind, we ran one engine at a slow cruise speed. We left the anchorage with both motors running but then the starboard one started to overheat, so we shut it down. The trip up the coast of Grenada was comfortable and easy. Once we got past the north end of the island, the wind & seas picked up a bit but not so much as to make things uncomfortable. And we still made good time as we passed just to the west of the Grenadines islands. Part way up the island chain, we caught a 3' barracuda. So I cleaned it on the starboard stern steps & put it in the refrigerator for dinner after we anchored. Good, white meat though with quite a few small bones.

We got even with the south tip of St Vincent around 6pm and kept going. St Vincent isn't heavily populated, so once it got dark there were very few lights on shore. Also, the moon didn't rise until very late, so with the extremely dark night the sky was ablaze with stars!

Around 3am (Wed) we were mid-way between St Vincent & St Lucia when the high-temp alarm went off for the port engine. Unfortunately, getting to the port engine entails emptying everything out of the aft storage cabin. Instead, I moved the few things blocking access to the starboard engine to figure out why the alarm went off for it. I found that the V-belt, which drives the alternator & water pump had broken. So I pulled out some tools and a new V-belt and got it re-installed. We started up the engine & kept on going.

About 15 miles from our destination (Rodney Bay, at the NW part of the island), the wind shifted so that we were heading directly into it while also dropping to 3-4 mph. I dropped the mainsail (having already rolled up the jib) and we motored the last 3 hours into the bay. We ended up anchoring at 7am Wednesday morning.

We've now spent five days in Rodney Bay - seeing many old friends on other boats whom we haven't seen for almost a year. The winds are shifting to the east tomorrow (Monday) and we'll be heading northwards again. Our next post should be from Dominica as we make our way towards Antigua for Classic Race Week, which starts April 16th.

The picture is another one - a panorama - of the dinghy concert.
Comments
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ 36 LRC
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Gary Lehnertz / Margi Lehnertz
About: Margi has wrapped up her tax returns and has now joined the boat. (Brad is back in Alaska - until next winter. Brad has lived in Alaska for the past 30+ years. He's now wintering in south Florida and is assisting on the trip to the eastern Caribbean.)
Extra:
We are taking my sailboat cruising through the Bahamas, then to the Virgin Islands followed by the eastern Caribbean (Leeward & Windward Islands). With the late start we go leaving George Town, we are working our way East & South. We will probably skip the Virgin Islands & the Leeward islands [...]
Inspiration's Photos - Main
Photos of Martinique
3 Photos
Created 3 July 2016
Pictures from visiting Trinidad
214 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
7 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 15 April 2015
pictures from Dominica
18 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
Parades & sights during Carnival at Port de France, Martinique
95 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
Pictures from the Grenada Carnival
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
more sunsets - sun rise comes too early!
29 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Places we have been, People we have met
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of Inspirations crew (2 & 4 legged)
51 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
shots around the inside & outside of the boat
39 Photos
Created 15 March 2012