1/23/08 position 24 32.384'N: 76 47.866'W
Well it was a few days from hell!! We are not big fans of Nassau anyway, but the last few days really sucked. We dragged our anchor every time the tide changed. . The wind was 25-30 knots out of the NNE mixed with off and on rain! When the tide switched, we would be broadside to the waves, (2-3' standing wave, wind opposing current), coming down the channel, which made us roll side to side. Not any fun at all!!!!!!!!
We reset over and over, we even tried a stern anchor, and it dragged. The tide change was naturally in the middle of the night, so anchor watches every night, all night. And we were literally 50 feet out of the channel. So large, not huge, freighters and tugboats would come by within 20 feet, wave at us, and smile.
Now finally the weather changed and we headed for Shroud Cay, the winds were light and on the nose, so it was a motor run all day. But that gave us a chance to make enough water to fill all the tanks, while under way! All the while, decompressing from the stress of bad weather and big city hustle and bustle, and watching the water get clearer and clearer.
Shroud is beautiful, shallow with, deep sand bottom, and very quiet! Shroud is the northern boundary of the Exuma Land and Sea Park. SO no fishing or hunting but lots of beaching and exploring. The interior is all mangroves laced with creeks, while the east side is Atlantic beaches with reefs, so all is VERY WELL!!!!!!!!!!
1-19-08 N 25 24.62: W77 54.56
Well the time and weather and tides finally aligned for us to leave our anchorage. The weather was not as important, as was the tide. we were required us to come out on a high tide to clear the sand bar. So high tide finally came around to 0600, so there was a bit of light to steer our way out. And then steer a course for Nassau before a strong cold front with 30-40 knts of wind comes through.
The conditions were a bit rough, 6-8 ft. just in front of the beam and the wind 15-20, about the same. Naturally we are headed that direction, or close! But it is doable, just not real comfortable. Well after about one hour past the reef, the starboard engine starts to overheat, so with just one engine and sails we decide to bear off to the north and head to Chub Cay for a repair and try it again in the morning. The front is not scheduled to come through on Sunday night.
When we come in to Chub, Craig and Mary on "Rum Tum Tiger" is also here and welcome us in. We had met them a couple of years ago at the anchorage at White Point in the Exumas. Naturally the first thing they ask was if we had seen Roy and Diane on "Molly Bloom". So I hope Roy and Diane is just behind us a bit, for a reunion soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
The bad news of the day was watching "Salty Paws" dismast as they were beating into the seas!!!!!!!!!