s/v jusdreaming

The trials and sailing tales of Denny & Diane

01 May 2014 | Fat Deer Key
30 April 2014 | Channel Key
29 April 2014 | Shell Key
28 April 2014 | Cow Pens/ Plantation Key
26 April 2014 | Tarpon Basin
25 April 2014 | Thursday Cove
23 April 2014 | Jew Point
22 April 2014 | Billy Point
21 April 2014 | Marine Stadium
17 April 2014 | New River Marina
16 April 2014 | Lake Santa Barbara
15 April 2014 | Lake Worth
14 April 2014 | Hobe Sound
22 June 2012 | Stuart, Fl
06 June 2012 | Marsh Harbor
26 May 2012 | Royal Island
04 May 2012 | George Town
29 April 2012 | George Town
17 April 2012 | George Town, Exumas
30 March 2012 | Black Point

Exumas

06 May 2009
5-6-09
N24 18.157"N: 76 32.407"W
Well after a quick stop at Flamingo Cay we went up to Water Cay. It is just a quick jump up to Water. Kokopelli and us both wanted to do some diving/hunting on some of the reefs there so the plan was to stay a couple of days there.
The reefs and "Blue Holes" provide some fantastic diving. The reefs are beautiful with tons of fish. And the "Blue Holes" are very pretty but it is quite a risk hunting as there are a number of sharks that live there and are quick to take an easy meal if you spear something. A large Nurse shark actually came over to check me out and it got close enough that I had to poke it in the nose with my spear to make it decide that I was nothing worth eating!!!!
After a couple of days of great diving we decided to ease north. We sailed up the west side of Great Exuma with calm seas and a good wind for sailing. We did our thirty miles and decided to stop for the night at Rocky Point. In the morning we shoved off for the thirty miles up to Black Point. The best laundry mat in the entire Exumas, so laundry was the first priority, then a good meal at "Lorraine's Café". Kokopelli still needed some welding done so the next morning we headed up to Stanial Cay. It was "Cinco De Mayo" and the yacht club was throwing a party/buffet. Naturally we had to participate, with Liz and Allan and a couple of other boats we had met. A good time was had by all. This morning we all went over to "Thunder Ball Grotto" for a quick snorkel. Then we all pulled anchor and headed up to Cambridge Cay on the outside for some fishing. We had went about three miles and Kokopelli hailed us and said they were in a school of Dolphin (fish) so we headed over and immediately had a double hook up. Both boats landed their fish and we continued on into the anchorage. Then the work began cleaning the fish and then cleaning the boat. After disposing of the fish remains overboard, we noticed a couple of sharks showing interest. So I decided to investigate. I eased into the water and saw a huge barracuda, and then all of a sudden the large cuda sped off. Then a large Bull shark (6-8 ft.), appeared on the seen. I hollered up to Diane what I was seeing, she exclaimed that the barracuda had more sense than I did, and to get the hell out of the water. Heeding the "Admiral's" orders, I quickly climbed back on board!!! What a day, a good snorkel trip and then fresh fish for dinner, Life is GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments
Vessel Name: jusdreaming
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Stuart, Fl
Crew: Denny & Diane DeRanek
About: Admiral- Diane First Mate- Matilda
Home Page: http://www.svjusdreaming.net
jusdreaming's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Who: Denny & Diane DeRanek
Port: Stuart, Fl