Rich and Kelly Rae's Excellent Adventures

The Eighth Cruise of the Starship Kelly Rae - Boldly Going Where Lots of People Have Gone Before. But We Haven't - So it is a Great Adventure!

28 October 2017
26 June 2017 | Canso, Nova Scotia
27 May 2017
08 May 2017
27 March 2017
25 February 2017
10 January 2017
02 January 2017
21 December 2016
21 November 2016
21 November 2016
01 May 2016
01 May 2016

St. George's Town, Bermuda

18 November 2012
Not to worry, though, as: 1. The first mark would have them turning anyway before impact. 2. They were only 1 meter long. And 3. So, even if they had hit me it would be like Sunfish bouncing off a battleship – no big deal.

The local RC Sailboat group does their racing directly across Ferry Reach from where KR had been moored for both hurricanes so I had met the guys and been a spectator on two previous occasions. The decision to paddle over with the camera during the calm weather this past week was a good one both for me and, as it turned out, for them as well. In that particular corner of the Reach there is some form of intermittent radio interference that occasionally conflicts with its owner’s control. I chased several of the boats down at various points as they made a run for their freedom. In return, I was allowed to sail #33 (one of the faster boats) around a bit between races.

I want one!

If only I could figure out where to stow it aboard KR. Hmmmm. And the other, very minor problem (Not!) is that the highest end boats can cost well over $5000. Perhaps on Craig’s List and not subject to Bermuda import duties, though…

I continue to relax here in Bermuda but am now watching carefully for a good window to move on.

The weather patterns have been odd, to say the least, with two slow moving troughs causing low winds locally and large doubts in the forecast for the waters between here and the Caribbean. The smart play right now seems to be to wait until the Low coming off the US coast later this coming week passes through leaving northerly quadrant winds in its wake. We’ll head out with fair winds (but in still bouncy seas) and get as much southing as possible before the winds peter out. This is a pattern very much like the one that we followed out 5 years ago when departing Bermuda for the passage to the Virgin Islands.

By mid-week, the forecasts should be sorted out a bit and final decisions and plans will be made. KR can be made ready for sea very quickly so there is little to do right now except hang about the coffee shop and Bermuda Yacht Services “Yachtie Lounge” and enjoy the other transients as they arrive, recover and eventually depart.

Best to all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kelly Rae
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Hailing Port: Grand Lake, Colorado
Crew: Rich Simpson
About: Cee Cee the Sailor Dog