Rich and Kelly Rae's Excellent Adventures

The Eighth Cruise of the Starship Kelly Rae - Boldly Going Where Lots of People Have Gone Before. But We Haven't - So it is a Great Adventure!

28 October 2017
26 June 2017 | Canso, Nova Scotia
27 May 2017
08 May 2017
27 March 2017
25 February 2017
10 January 2017
02 January 2017
21 December 2016
21 November 2016
21 November 2016
01 May 2016
01 May 2016

Hailing Ports

25 February 2017
I would have bet large amounts of cash that Kelly Rae is the only cruising boat sailing in the world’s oceans that carries a Grand Lake, Colorado hailing port.

I would have lost that bet.

I would have bet ANY amount of money that KR would never be anchored next to another boat with a Grand Lake, Colorado hailing port.

I would have lost that bet as well.

I met Donnie and Dianna at last Friday’s ARG meeting on Honeymoon Beach here in Elizabeth Harbor. (Author’s Note: ARG stands for the “Alcohol Research Group”, the scheduled “meetings” of which group are a thinly veiled justification for cocktail hour gatherings on a handy beach with large amounts of food and libations available to be “researched”.)

I was wearing a Grand Lake t-shirt at the gathering which Donnie noticed. The conversation started there.

Now based primarily in New Bern, North Carolina, Donnie and Dianna used to own a sign company in Grand Lake (and still have a home there). They mentioned that their first boat, a Whitby 42, was a storm-wrecked boat that they had had shipped to Grand Lake and put on stands in an alley next to their sign company right off the town’s main street – where they proceeded to rebuild her. I remember seeing it there and doing some minor communication with the owners. A large, ocean-going sailing yacht stood out in land-locked, 8600’ high Grand Lake – an obvious discordant note.

Kelly Rae and Moon Shadow (the Caliber 38 which is their current boat) are anchored right next to each other in Red Shank harbor – hunkered down awaiting the next front’s approach tonight.

The saying: “It’s a Small World”, an admittedly trite Disney-ism, is, at the same time, all too true.

Best to All
Comments
Vessel Name: Kelly Rae
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Hailing Port: Grand Lake, Colorado
Crew: Rich Simpson
About: Cee Cee the Sailor Dog