Rich and Kelly Rae's Excellent Adventures

The Eighth Cruise of the Starship Kelly Rae - Boldly Going Where Lots of People Have Gone Before. But We Haven't - So it is a Great Adventure!

28 October 2017
26 June 2017 | Canso, Nova Scotia
27 May 2017
08 May 2017
27 March 2017
25 February 2017
10 January 2017
02 January 2017
21 December 2016
21 November 2016
21 November 2016
01 May 2016
01 May 2016

Isla Providencia, Columbia

20 April 2014
Providencia is a pleasant place to visit - for anyone, I think, but certainly for cruisers.

The primary business is tourism but it is a low-key version of that malaise. No cruise ships stop here - the shallow harbor would not be conducive certainly, but I suspect that the locals would not welcome the mass infestation. And just getting here from many parts of the world is difficult. One of the cruising boats had guests arrive from Atlanta. It required five flights - Atlanta, Miami, Panama City, Bogota, San Andreas, Providencia - to get here. As a result most tourists are Columbians. And with no discotecas, wild parties or other such entertainments, they are the quiet kind of Columbians (unlike Cartagena).

By local regulation, no building can be over two stories precluding the big resorts from getting a toehold. And, immigration is strictly controlled. The locals are trying to keep their island peaceful.

This all suits cruisers well. And, when combined with easy officialdom, reasonably priced restaurants and provisions, cheap rum (Panamanian rum is cheaper here than I ever found it to be in Panama!), a very friendly population whose Caribbean tinged English is better than my gringo Spanish and a large, well protected harbor - well, you get the picture. Things are just easy here.

Good hiking, snorkeling and beautiful beaches (complete with funky beach bars and restaurants) round things out nicely.

There is an artistic side to the island as well. This picture, of the bus stop in front of the public library, shows just one example. Constructed of concrete, the roof is shaped like a book lying open - binding down - while the supports are formed and painted to look like stacks of books. The figure sits there happily reading day and night. Another bus stop is shaped like an octopus (the bench is under the body and surrounded by its eight legs) and there is one with the roof in the form of a Manta Ray supported by concrete columns with the appearance of corals.

All very cool.

The cruising community here is very transient, however, as I noted in my last posting. There were well over 20 boats in the harbor a week ago but with good wind patterns for sailing either north or south over the last week, many boats have left. It will be my turn to set sail - bound for Guanaja - later this week.

Best to all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kelly Rae
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Hailing Port: Grand Lake, Colorado
Crew: Rich Simpson
About: Cee Cee the Sailor Dog