Rich and Kelly Rae's Excellent Adventures

The Eighth Cruise of the Starship Kelly Rae - Boldly Going Where Lots of People Have Gone Before. But We Haven't - So it is a Great Adventure!

28 October 2017
26 June 2017 | Canso, Nova Scotia
27 May 2017
08 May 2017
27 March 2017
25 February 2017
10 January 2017
02 January 2017
21 December 2016
21 November 2016
21 November 2016
01 May 2016
01 May 2016

Fantasy Island, Roatan, Honduras

11 May 2014
I arrived at Fantasy Island yesterday, Saturday. I really wanted to start this post with the words: “De Plane, De Plane”. However, I did that with one of the posts written during my first visit here over 3 years ago. I have to admit that it was pretty lame even then. The passage of three years was unlikely to make it any more clever now. So forget I even mentioned it.

The other problem with using that line is that back then there was a plane operating out of the resort – so it was a bit more appropriate. I learned after arriving here yesterday that the plane, an open 3-place seaplane, crashed a couple of years ago – no one killed thankfully. On the sidebar of this blog there is a link called “Roatan Aerial Pics” which documents my tour of Roatan aboard the plane 3 years ago.

I have put KR on the dock here at the resort for this week. It is the slow season, and special rates were negotiable. The primary reason, however, was that there are a few heavy maintenance items on the To Do list which would be more easily and efficiently accomplished on the dock. The eyebrow got a prep and coat of varnish this morning. It was the oars’ turn this afternoon. There is plenty more cleaning, polishing and varnishing yet to be done.

If this sounds all just a little TOO practical, it is also true that the marina waterfront here is very pleasant and quite fun. The weekly potluck was last night. Every night except Sunday there is a cocktail hour on the cruiser built palapa - which happens to be just a sidewalk’s width away from KR. I don’t have far to stumble home. And this somewhat cool, but decidedly dried-up old prune of a lady is right there to keep an eagle eye on everything that passes. She would definitely scare away yer average thief – and might even be a bit scary to yer average sailor stumbling home from cocktail hour (That last does not refer to me. I learned (or re-learned) my lesson in Guanaja).

The adventures continue and all is well.

Best to all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kelly Rae
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Hailing Port: Grand Lake, Colorado
Crew: Rich Simpson
About: Cee Cee the Sailor Dog