Life Is Good - Travels of S/V Ladyhawke

27 August 2013 | Newport, RI
25 August 2013 | Brewer Greenwich Bay Marina South
13 August 2013 | Shelburne, NS
06 August 2013 | 45 35.47'N:60 57.73'W
01 August 2013
25 July 2013
20 July 2013 | Liscomb River
30 June 2013 | Nantucket, MA
20 June 2012 | Rock Hall, MD

Back in the USA

25 August 2013 | Brewer Greenwich Bay Marina South
Oh no! No more lobsta' rolls at the The Shack in Jamestown!
My, how time flies when you're having fun! Sorry so much time has passed since the last entry, but updating the blog was difficult with poor internet access and low on my list of priorities. Too many fun distractions!

We finally had a decent weather window on August 16th to depart Shelburne Harbour, NS and sadly say our last goodbyes, with hopes of returning one day to one of our most favorite places in the world. We dropped the mooring line at the crack of dawn, even though, in Chris Parker's opinion (the weather guru whose services we've come to depend on for many smooth passages), waiting one more day would have been prudent. Our goal was to be in Newport, RI by Monday, August 18th, in time to meet our daughter Sarah at the airport. Fortunately, the passage was uneventful. With the expected 15 kt winds out of the SW and on the nose, the beginning of the passage with 3-5 ft seas wasn't exactly pleasant. However, as the winds calmed, so did the seas and the remainder of the passage to Provincetown, MA was rather boring...just how we like it! We arrived in Provincetown late in the day on Saturday with hopes of clearing in through Customs by phone, but, alas, no luck. So, up went the Q-flag, we picked up a mooring, and were unable to leave the boat until we cleared Customs. We later learned that Chris, Ingo's son, and the grandchildren, were in Provincetown--too bad, we just missed them by a day.

Passage from Shelburne to Newport:
Sunday proved to be a lovely day to cross the Cape Cod Bay and transit the CC Canal. Luckily the Cape Cod Challenge occurred the previous day...over a hundred paddle boarders crossing the Bay from Plymouth to Wellfleet (~20 miles). Now that would have been a sight, but I'm sure that boat wake would not have been unwelcomed! Canal transit was timed perfectly with a good 4 knots of current going with us. But just our luck, the railroad bridge was in the down position, so, for a bout 10 minutes, we had to turn around into the current to wait for the bridge to go up. We were then on our way and got flushed down Buzzard's Bay, arriving in Newport in the late afternoon, with time to fuel, clear Customs (very easy place to tie up in Perrotti Park for Customs to board), get a mooring, and still have time to have a nice dinner at Moorings.

Clearing Customs:
A word or two about re-entering the US and clearing Customs. Although we had registered with US Customs and Border Protection using the Local Boaters Option, we came to find that the system in Port Canaveral where we had originally registered, didn't talk to other regional systems. Customs has since upgraded the system to standardize the individual regional processes, but our boater registration number was outdated and wouldn't let us into the new system to register a float plan. If you register a float plan, theoretically you should be able to report into the country by phone and avoid having to have a Customs official come to the boat for an inspection. So, Jeri then proceeded to spend several hours on the computer and on the phone with Customs officials in Florida (who were extremely courteous and helpful) to update our boaters registration information. Success! We're now in the system, so the next time we re-enter the US, we should be able to report in by phone if we file a float plan in advance. Hope we get a chance to try it out, i.e., have the opportunity to take Ladyhawke out of the country again. The downside is that all crew members must be entered into the system too, which involves an in-person interview at a designated Customs office. It looks like the closest one to our area is in Norfolk, VA. Sigh...so much for making the system user-friendly!!!

Tragedy at The Shack, Jamestown, RI:
The next day, Monday, we spent running errands with a rental car (Jeri's Kindle encountered an agonizing death on the passage, so we had to get a new one...Jeri went into serious withdrawal), and then on to the airport to pick up Sarah. As we crossed the bridge to Jamestown, stomachs grumbled indicating lunch time approached so we made a detour to our favorite "restaurant" for the best lobster roll in all of New England. Oh no! The Shack was still there--a little building on the waterfront in Dutch Harbor with picnic tables outside-- but new management and NO LOBSTER ROLLS! Jeri was devastated to say the least. (Coincidentally, the new owner is Tallulah's on Thames from Newport, but no relation to Tallulah's Table in Kennett.) However, all was not lost. They make the most wonderful, flavorful lobster tacos...a new twist on the lobster roll theme! We left smiling and sated!

Back to Nantucket:
Sarah's desire was to return to Nantucket for a few days, so off we went the next day, back to The Gray Lady. What a beautiful island in the sunshine, unlike the first visit early in the trip where the island lived up to it's name! We spent several lovely days together, enjoying some girl stuff like shopping in the unusual little shops. Sarah even designed/formulated her own perfume scent in the perfumery shop. Very fun! We enjoyed a 12 mi. bike ride to Madeket, several wonderful meals and, of course, the quintessential ice cream stop at the Juice Bar! It's ranks high on our list of favorite homemade ice cream shops, along with Cows from PEI.

We sadly departed Nantucket after two days in order to get Sarah back to the airport for her Sun. morning flight. Unlike the previous sail across Nantucket Sound, this one was quite rugged...20-25 Kts with 3-5 ft seas for several hours. However, we arrived safely in Hadley Harbor that afternoon and spend a peaceful night at anchor, including a great dinner, if I say so myself! Saturday took us to Greenwich, RI and a slip at the Brewer Marina South so Sarah could catch a cab to the airport the next day. We sadly said good-bye and started thinking about the return trip to the Chesapeake.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ladyhawke
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Rock Hall, Swan Creek, MD
Crew: Ingo & Jeri May
About:
This is a travel log of S/V Ladyhawke to share with our friends and family where our wanderings have taken us. We are blessed to be able to make memories by meeting wonderful new friends, connecting with old friends and exploring the world. [...]
Extra: Ladyhawke is our lovely home away from home, a 45 foot blue water sailing vessel, hull # 70, built in 1989.

About us and Ladyhawke

Who: Ingo & Jeri May
Port: Rock Hall, Swan Creek, MD