Life Is Good - Travels of S/V Ladyhawke

27 August 2013 | Newport, RI
25 August 2013 | Brewer Greenwich Bay Marina South
13 August 2013 | Shelburne, NS
06 August 2013 | 45 35.47'N:60 57.73'W
01 August 2013
25 July 2013
20 July 2013 | Liscomb River
30 June 2013 | Nantucket, MA
20 June 2012 | Rock Hall, MD

Still at Liscombe Lodge

20 July 2013 | Liscomb River
30 knots and 10 foot seas...staying at Liscombe!
July 17 - Did I tell you how awesomely friendly the people are here? Not just friendly, but they go out of their way to be helpful. For instance, in Lunenburg, a gentleman overheard that we were from the Chesapeake Bay and cruising the area. He offered to share some of his local knowledge with Ingo, so he came on board and the two of them poured over charts for an hour or so as he shared his favorite gunk-holing spots along the coast east of Halifax. Invaluable information! Then, he told us to stop by his house anytime for cocktails to talk some more.

Another example--the RNSYS dockmaster called us on our cell this morning, after we had already left, to let us know our mail had arrived. (We had decided to move on instead of waiting any longer and pick up the mail on the return trip.) He called to let us know that he was driving to Liscomb, which just happened to be our stop tomorrow night, and said that he would drop off our mail with the Liscomb dockmaster. How's that for going out of your way to be helpful?! That's why we love Nova Scotia!

We spent the night at anchor in a beautiful, cozy anchorage called Shelter Cove (how appropriate!) in Pope's Harbour. Thanks to the gentleman from Lunenburg and his local knowledge, we found this spot and it was perfect! Beautiful scenery, secluded...just what we needed to pass a peaceful night after a lovely dinghy ride around the cove. How fun watching the harbor seals play while we had our morning coffee!

July 18 - The weather was not cooperating again! Dead downwind and rolly swells abaft the beam...not pleasant, but we persevered and arrived at Liscombe Lodge on the Liscomb River (yes, one with an "e", and one without) late in the afternoon.

Ten years ago we spent some time here, unfortunately longer than desired because we wrapped a sunken mooring line around our propeller shaft, becoming immobilized. A diver removed it, and after determining that the shaft was only slightly bent but no leaks from the stuffing box, we were able to move on.

This time we had another memorable event. Ingo had called two days prior and made a reservation for the dock at the "marina", which consists of a 60' floating dock and three moorings. However, upon arrival, we were told that there was a "miscommunication" and that a 95' power yacht had also reserved the dock. A mooring was available for us since the yacht was too large and had no other options. Guess size has it's advantages!

So, after grumbling, we went to pick up a mooring. The first one didn't have a long enough float for Jeri to reach and attach a bridle (of course, no painter provided). The second one had a long line attached to the float, but no sturdy 1" line that the dockmaster insisted was attached to the float. All we could do was put the bridle on the skinny float line. The dock master then examined the third mooring and found the same problem...no 1" line, only the skinny float line. Well, needless to say, we didn't feel very secure depending on a skinny line to hold Ladyhawke with a 37K lb displacement to the mooring. However, learning that the river current would keep the boat pointed in one direction and not spin around the mooring ball, we decided to drop the anchor directly off the bow between the bridle so, in case the float line separated, we would hold with the anchor.

First thing the next morning, the yacht departed and we jumped at the chance to use the dock. The timing was good because that day the southwest wind kicked up and may have been enough to spin the boat around the anchor, bridle and mooring ball. That would have been a mess!

So here we sit, waiting for the winds to calm. Today offshore, the prediction is for 30 knots with 10' seas. Needless to say, we're staying put and enjoying the lodge facilities. The dockmaster has been quite accommodating (especially after the "miscommunication") and has even lent us his car for the afternoon. So, we're off for a land cruise to explore the area for the afternoon. Strangely enough, there's no cell phone reception here, but we do have wifi. Maybe some Words With Friends this evening??
Comments
Vessel Name: Ladyhawke
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Rock Hall, Swan Creek, MD
Crew: Ingo & Jeri May
About:
This is a travel log of S/V Ladyhawke to share with our friends and family where our wanderings have taken us. We are blessed to be able to make memories by meeting wonderful new friends, connecting with old friends and exploring the world. [...]
Extra: Ladyhawke is our lovely home away from home, a 45 foot blue water sailing vessel, hull # 70, built in 1989.

About us and Ladyhawke

Who: Ingo & Jeri May
Port: Rock Hall, Swan Creek, MD