Voyage of s/v La Sirena

29 December 2012
27 December 2012 | Mobile, Al
22 December 2012 | Slidel, Louisiana
21 December 2012 | Frog City, Louisiana
21 December 2012 | Beaumont, Texas
19 December 2012 | Rockport, Texas
13 December 2012 | San Antonio, Texas
11 December 2012 | Kerrville, Texas
10 December 2012 | Fort Stockton, Texas
05 December 2012 | Deming, New Mexico
03 December 2012 | Phoenix, Az
30 November 2012 | Ehrenberg, Az (Blythe, Ca)
26 November 2012 | Cathedral City (Palm Springs), Ca
22 November 2012 | Torrance, Ca
17 November 2012 | Oceano, Ca
16 November 2012 | Oceano, Ca
10 November 2012 | Oceano, Ca
09 November 2012 | Morro Bay, Ca
08 November 2012 | Morro Bay, Ca
01 November 2012 | King City, Ca

Home Sweet Home!

19 December 2012 | Rockport, Texas
Walt/Sunny
Nice F-L-A-T drive from San Antonio thru cotton country to the Corpus Christi area. On the way we stopped in a little wide spot in the road at Sinton for lunch at the Butter Churn. For about $7 we had the most wonderful southern cooking and seafood buffet you can imagine. If you're in the area ya gotta stop in!

Nancie had found us a campground about 30 miles north of Corpus Christi in a little seaside town of Rockport-Fulton. A small town of about 9,000 folks and it looked like we were in the Pensacola or upper keys of Florida. We fell in love instantly! That first evening we went to the local Yacht Club and met a few folks on their Fri-night open bar event, just like at our club in Anacortes. We were able to get some local knowledge on the boating scene and such. Bad photo of 30 ft. fiberglass Blue Crab in town on beach! Drove down to Corpus Christi one day and eyeballed the place and beautiful waterfront homes.

The campground is an old oak tree grove on a couple of lakes and about 1 mile from the bay behind the Padre Island chain. We like the area so much we have decided that this will be the permanent home for the 5th wheeler. We will return to this area (~Feb 1) after visiting the rest of the southeast places we want to see and then leave the rig here when we return to the boat in Anacortes. We are excited about this find and looking forward to this being the land "home". And the saltwater bay fishing is reported to be quite good for redfish, speckled trout, and flounder. I think a 21 ft fishing boat is in the cards. Oh, and did I mention it's 80 degrees and sunny?

And the seafood!!! Unbelievable at least! Sweet Gulf shrimp, grouper, flounder....at reasonable prices and all FRESH, no frozen! And don't even speak of the BBQ, it's enough to make you slobber. Enough already!

Stayed here 4 days and then tomorrow we head north with the rig towards Louisiana passing by Houston and Beaumont on our way. Can't wait to get into some of that Cajun eatin'. Will spend a few days in Louisiana before meeting up with Nancie's cousin in Mobile. Stay tuned....
Comments
Vessel Name: s/v La Sirena
Vessel Make/Model: Rafiki 35
Hailing Port: Anacortes, Wa., USA
Crew: Walt & Nancie Elliott Schad

Voyage of s/v La Sirena

Who: Walt & Nancie Elliott Schad
Port: Anacortes, Wa., USA