SV Northfork

08 May 2012
18 March 2012
22 January 2012 | USA
10 October 2011
28 August 2011 | Vanuatu/USA
20 August 2011 | Port Vila, Vanuatu & USA
29 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
25 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
25 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
24 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
22 July 2011 | Fiji
19 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
18 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
15 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
12 July 2011 | Cloudbreak, Fiji
11 July 2011 | Malolo, Fiji
08 July 2011 | Malolo, Fiji
04 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
04 July 2011 | Port Denarau, Fiji
07 June 2011 | Plantation Island, Fiji

Flagons, Tornados, and Aussie Butchers

04 May 2011 | Auckland, New Zealand
Dana
I know I promised some more Bento but two nights ago at dinner we made the final decision that Friday we will set sail.

While Mark and I were in the South Island we realized that having a flagon is the way to go. There are a few places in Christchurch that will fill them with beer or spirits and the further south you go you can pretty much get one filled in many of the liquor stores. It's a much cheaper way to buy beer and well it's kinda fun. Anyhow, ever since we got back to the North Island we haven't been able to find anyone to fill them. Until two days ago. I found a bar called Galbraiths that serves great food and will fill a flagon. Apparently the only place in Auckland that will. So the we gave Cye a little "southern man" experience.

Yesterday I set out for my final shopping day. I had heard about a tornado that hit the day before but it wasn't until I got to the shopping mall that I realized it actually hit the mall that I have been shopping at. I like leaving the city to do my shopping because I don't have to pay for parking. When I got up there all the entrances were closed, police standing guard, and new reporters everywhere. I would have taken some pictures but there just really wasn't anywhere to park seeing as the parking lots were blocked. The damage didn't look to bad but they are saying it'll be in the 10M to fix it all. Pretty crazy since it hit the only day I haven't been out there. So yes Mark and I have experienced/had to deal with the effect of both an earthquake and a tornado in NZ. Lord please no more natural disasters!

Since the mall was closed I headed back into the city for my final shopping. The major stop of the day was the Aussie Butcher. They did a fantastic job packaging up my meat into double portions for Mark and I, putting them in my containers, and deep freezing them. When I got back to the boat all I had to do was pop them in the freezers and they are going to make life so much easier because I won' be digging in the freezers. If I want something that is lower I can just take out a layer or two and I can put the empty one's at the bottom so I don't have to bend over to much. We are really lucky because not only do we have a regular "office" sized refrigerator but we have two deep freezers so we can carry a lot of cold goods.

Today Cye and I will drive up to Opua to sell back our car and Mark will try to get as much as he can stowed. I'm sure I'll have plenty to finish when I get back but customs will be here at 11:30 tomorrow and then we will return to the big blue sea.
Comments
Vessel Name: Northfork
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Hailing Port: Incline Village
Crew: Mark, Dana
About:
Mark and Dana set out in June of 2008. We have sailed the Eastern Seaboard of the US, down through the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, and crossed the Pacific Ocean to NZ where we spent six months for the cyclone season. We are now back out in the Pacific Islands and heading toward Australia. [...]

Mark & Dana

Who: Mark, Dana
Port: Incline Village
Copyright ©  2010 SV Northfork All Rights Reserved
We shall have no liability to any person for the content, accuracy or reliability of SVNorthfork blog.