Pegasus - UK to Australia

Who: Sally and Hamish
Port: Lymington, UK
27 December 2010 | Gold Coast, Australia
11 October 2010 | Albufeira, Portugal
06 September 2010 | Portugal
28 August 2010 | Portimao, Portugal
27 August 2010 | Portimao, Portugal
23 August 2010 | Portimao, Portugal
12 August 2010 | Cascais, Portugal
10 August 2010 | Camarinas, Spain
08 August 2010 | Camarinas, Spain
02 August 2010 | Portsmouth
24 July 2010 | Lymington
23 July 2010 | Lymington, UK
20 July 2010 | Lymington
17 June 2010
16 June 2010 | Lymington
07 June 2010
10 May 2010
27 April 2010 | London, UK
20 April 2010 | Lymington, UK
09 April 2010 | London, UK

A wet weekend

22 March 2010 | Solent, UK
Author: Hamish


To finish off Sally's Day Skipper practical, we had a long weekend of sailing. You will be pleased to know that Sally passed with flying colours!
The weekend threw every possible weather at us. On Friday morning we had fog so thick you could cut it with a knife. We started to make our way out to see if it was just localised but as we couldn't really see past the front of the boat we came back in. This wasn't all bad as we were able to spend a couple of solid hours practicing our close quarter manoeuvring and berthing. 50 foot is a lot of boat and the marina we are in is designed for about 45 foot boats, so we need all the practice we can get.
Finally the fog cleared and we had a great days sailing with good winds. All was going well and so decided to keep sailing and do a night approach into Portsmouth harbour. I think this area of the Solent is the busiest waterway in the UK and that night was no exception. We had hovercraft, high speed ferries and a contorted route to contend with but all was skippered by Sally with out incident. Saturday had the rain coming at us horizontally. A good test for the wet weather gear. We escaped the weather by anchoring up in Chichestor Harbour for lunch. The previous weekend when we tried to do some anchoring, the windless was making a horrid metal on metal noise. This was after it was supposedly serviced. I stripped it down earlier in the week and found what was left of the grease inside the gearbox had turned to tar and salt crystals. I repacked it with some white marine grease and it now sounds much happier. We stayed in the sailing mecca of Cowes on Saturday night. Cowes is a really pretty little village with many chandlery shops happy to relieve you of your money. The Musto shop was closing down so picked up some good bargains. A gentle Sunday sail rounded off the weekend, although getting into our berth was a bit challenging, requiring 4 attempts before realising the tide was preventing the bow from coming around. Another different approach and we were home safely.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pegasus
Vessel Make/Model: 2002 Beneteau 50
Hailing Port: Lymington, UK
Crew: Sally and Hamish
About:
S [...]
Extra:
Sailing around the world has always been something that Hamish has wanted to do, but never thought the opportunity would arise. He has sailed since a very young age on his father’s yacht on Lake Te Anau, New Zealand and a lot of dingy sailing at school in Australia. He has also owned a couple [...]

Who: Sally and Hamish
Port: Lymington, UK
Site Meter