'Til the Butter Melts

Pete & Pokey on PRIM

17 August 2010
17 August 2010 | Dowry Creek Marina, NC
16 August 2010
16 August 2010 | Elizabeth City, NC
12 August 2010 | Deltaville, VA
11 August 2010 | Deltaville, VA
04 August 2010 | Calvert Marina, Solomons
02 August 2010 | Trtacys Landing, MD
15 July 2010 | Tracys Landing, MD
10 January 2010 | St. Augstine
05 January 2010 | St. Augustine
02 January 2010 | New Smryna
24 December 2009
05 December 2009 | The Riverview Hotel & Marina
30 November 2009 | Daytona - Seven Seas Marina
28 November 2009 | Palm Coast Marina
24 November 2009 | Comachee Cove Yacht Harbor, St. Augustine

New Smyrna at last!

05 December 2009 | The Riverview Hotel & Marina
Well, we finally made it to our December location, the Riverview Hotel & Marina, on time, Dec 1. The marina is small, only six slips or so and we are currently one of two boats here for the duration. It was a little dicey coming in because the current wasn't cooperating with the tide chart but that's nothing new. Lots of following current coming into the pier but we made it without adding another ding to the bow. It's interesting how quickly people step up to help with lines when they see that big bandage on our nose! I wish I could find some of that white duct tape. Grey is so obvious.

On the way here, Pokey got to see her friendly dolphin up close. He/she jumped several times right next to the cockpit, scaring the tar out of the boyz but thrilling us no end. What beautiful animals they are. Powerful, sleek and graceful.

The hotel is a beautiful Victorian building that was originally the bridge tender's house dating to the pre-1900s. Today, it stands in its near-original form but all spruced up as a small, class-act hotel. The staff is very accommodating and the restaurant is fabulous. The location couldn't be better either - we're right in the middle of the historic district of New Smyrna with lots of cool little shops around and we're only four blocks from the beach. Dolphins play in the channel and around the docks and there is a manatee rolling around the marina. If it ever stops raining here, I'll get out there and have a chat with her (him?).

We took the boyz to a local vet for their annuals and a nail trim, Pokey got her hair cut and we managed a quickie run through Publix for supplies, all via local cab. Actually, one of the vet assistants drove the boyz and me to meet Pokey at the store. She didn't want me to have to walk the boyz across the four-lane highway. I didn't have the heart to say "Walk? I'd have to carry them anyway." Carole, our mail forwarder and best gal friday, jumped at the chance to drive our car here (there's snow in the forecast for Maryland today). She should arrive late this evening. It will be nice to have wheels again, especially since we'll be here for up to two months, and that plus the repair calendar may change our cruising plans a bit. We can now drive to some places we would not get to by boat, not to mention frequent flyer runs to the hardware store ;-)

Yes, two months. One for the holidays and another for PRIM's nose job. It looks like we will haul out here in New Smyrna for that work to be done. Pokey and I will move ashore for January while they grind away, glass, patch, fill, grind some more and finally paint. Still not sure if the pulpit is salvageable or not but that will be done as well and we'll be in good shape again. We are gathering estimates and looking for a place. It's not a happy thought moving ashore for awhile but it's the sensible thing to do. I will also be able to take care of some other jobs I've been putting off, like varnish(!) and wax. The old girl is starting to look a little rough around the edges and needs a facial.

Mike Edwards, from Virginia, drove over from Wildwood where he is visiting his son and we had a great lunch at the Grille here and took a drive on the beach. It's always good to see Mike. Pokey's sister Sue and her husband Bob have arrived back in Florida for the winter so we'll be seeing them shortly.

So, we're coming into our favorite time of year. This time there won't be any snow in our forecast and the only ice I'll have to contend with will be in my tea. We'll be stringing lights and decorating a tree on deck in New Smyrna and I'll hang the stockings on the A/C vent.
Comments
Vessel Name: PRIM
Vessel Make/Model: Defever 44 Trawler
Hailing Port: Palm Coast, FL
Crew: Pete & Pokey
About:
One admiral, a trusty old schnauzer*, two clowns disguised as mini-dachshunds, and a bald guy. See 02/09/09, The Who... [*7/26/09 - Sadly, my 'navigator', security officer and best buddy, Max, took leave of us on July 6th and joined his old pal Shorty in pooch heaven. [...]
Extra: PRIM: 1983 Defever 44 Poof*: 2001 Novurania 360DL Email: Pete.svPrim@yahoo.com

PRIM

Who: Pete & Pokey
Port: Palm Coast, FL