'Til the Butter Melts

Pete & Pokey on PRIM

17 August 2010
17 August 2010 | Dowry Creek Marina, NC
16 August 2010
16 August 2010 | Elizabeth City, NC
12 August 2010 | Deltaville, VA
11 August 2010 | Deltaville, VA
04 August 2010 | Calvert Marina, Solomons
02 August 2010 | Trtacys Landing, MD
15 July 2010 | Tracys Landing, MD
10 January 2010 | St. Augstine
05 January 2010 | St. Augustine
02 January 2010 | New Smryna
24 December 2009
05 December 2009 | The Riverview Hotel & Marina
30 November 2009 | Daytona - Seven Seas Marina
28 November 2009 | Palm Coast Marina
24 November 2009 | Comachee Cove Yacht Harbor, St. Augustine

Hot Tip from the Ditch

19 November 2009 | Mile 704 Brickhill River
Pete
The place: "R-62A", at mile 704, the southern entrance to Brickhill River
Tide: 1 hour to low

NOTE: this section is very shallow near low tide and the channel is unclear on the charts. Disregard the magenta line or you will be aground. First of all, disreagard "R-60A" that is practically on the beach, the wrongside. Give "R-62A", 20-30 yards clearance [lv. starboad] but stay at least 40 yards off the shoreline [point] on the north. "R-62A" is sitting in 3' of water at low tide. There is also a hump turning inside of "R-62A" into Brickhill River. The entry to brickhill favors the eastern side as if enterting form the south. Then the channel crosses to the west side of Brickhill. Middle of the road will get you 4' at low tide. Use right quarter going in; left quarter after you're in.

It got a little congested here today just before sundown and low tide. Two boats on the hard in a matter of minutes. M/V Aquaholic attempted to back up to one but couldn't get close enough for a line toss. Another MV - a 100'er - offered to wake the one nearest the mark. We feared he would not get himself through at 7' draft but ran a wider arc and found water to clear the inlet. Unfortunately his waking was not successful. Both grounded vessels had to wait for more water. The cutter floated off just about sundown. The cat ketch, that was stranded in the marked channel came off just after dark and was led into the anchorage.

So what's the lesson here? The charted magenta line is shown on the wrong side off the marks. At least one other mark on the charts appears to be missing. If you're using Garmin, the Garmin chart shows better water to the right of the red mark. Not so, I tried the magenta line and a few lines around it - no go. The marks in the water are right, but give them seemingly too wide a margin. Simple fix: don't trust the magenta line all the time and/or don't go at less than 1/3 above low tide.

Thr picture shows the cat ketch aground at 62A with Aquaholic backing to attempt a line toss - couldn't get close enough - 3' depth. The cutter was in the mouth of the Brickhill to the left an aground in 4'. At dusk, the cutter floated off and removed to the anchorage. At dark the cat ketch floated and was guided into the anchorage.

We are all safely anchored in Brickhill River awaiting morning and more water.
Comments
Vessel Name: PRIM
Vessel Make/Model: Defever 44 Trawler
Hailing Port: Palm Coast, FL
Crew: Pete & Pokey
About:
One admiral, a trusty old schnauzer*, two clowns disguised as mini-dachshunds, and a bald guy. See 02/09/09, The Who... [*7/26/09 - Sadly, my 'navigator', security officer and best buddy, Max, took leave of us on July 6th and joined his old pal Shorty in pooch heaven. [...]
Extra: PRIM: 1983 Defever 44 Poof*: 2001 Novurania 360DL Email: Pete.svPrim@yahoo.com

PRIM

Who: Pete & Pokey
Port: Palm Coast, FL