'Til the Butter Melts

Pete & Pokey on PRIM

17 August 2010
17 August 2010 | Dowry Creek Marina, NC
16 August 2010
16 August 2010 | Elizabeth City, NC
12 August 2010 | Deltaville, VA
11 August 2010 | Deltaville, VA
04 August 2010 | Calvert Marina, Solomons
02 August 2010 | Trtacys Landing, MD
15 July 2010 | Tracys Landing, MD
10 January 2010 | St. Augstine
05 January 2010 | St. Augustine
02 January 2010 | New Smryna
24 December 2009
05 December 2009 | The Riverview Hotel & Marina
30 November 2009 | Daytona - Seven Seas Marina
28 November 2009 | Palm Coast Marina
24 November 2009 | Comachee Cove Yacht Harbor, St. Augustine

We're Back!

15 July 2010 | Tracys Landing, MD
Pete
For those who have, rightly so, noted that we haven't made an entry on this blog since (yeegads!) February, here goes...

We have moved. A seed was planted last August when we met a couple on a beautiful Grand Banks 46 in Fishing Bay Harbor, Virginia. I had a brief talk with Jim and Joanne on 'Long Haul' when they stopped overnight on their way south. During the course of the usual "How are ya's" and "Where you goin's", I asked Jim about the fuel consumption on their GB46. Jim admitted he used to burn upwards of 10gph back in the good old days when prices were reasonable, but he proudly said he backed off on the rpm's and improved the fuel burn down to 4gph, still moving along well at 8-9 knots. His big Cat naturals don't seem to mind and he is pleased with the economy. That got me to thinking...which can always be a problem.

Pokey and I had looked at power boats a few years back but the rise in fuel prices scared us off. At the time, everyone seemed to be running 10 to 20 gallons and hour so the costs were prohibitive to us. Besides, after 50 years of racing I still had some sailing left in me so we decided on our Freedom 45 and loved it. We cruised on Chesapeake Bay and came to realize how much we wanted to live aboard for long periods of time. Now, a few years and medical oopsies later, we find our needs, wants and limitations have changed so the time had come to consider a different direction.

Not long after we finally moved aboard our Freedom 45 a little over a year ago, Pokey spontaneously announced she couldn't imagine moving back ashore. I was thrilled, partly because I knew how much 'stuff' I had just put in storage, but mostly because the Admiral is happy and comfortable on the water and she deserves the best. Add all that to more living and storage space, sensible costs and our new found love of the ICW and Palm Coast, FL and we were off to the races.

Many evenings were spent online searching for the right boat for us. We pestered brokers and tromped aboard a variety of boats to test our theories and see what was out there. Our search settled on the Defever 44 for its quality, interior layout and the most fantastic aft deck on the market in our range. The main salon, galley and lower helm station are on the same level so we can enjoy more time together while underway. Stabilizers remove most of the rock and roll. With twin engines plus a bow thruster, I should be able to park it on a dime, well, maybe a half dollar (do they still make those?). Actually, until I get more confident with this thing, it's more like a trash can lid. Two big generators ensure that our toaster will spit out my english muffins on time every morning at anchor, mooring or pier. The engine room is huge and has almost full standing head room allowing access to the mechanicals far beyond this sailor's experience. No more bending around like a pretzel with my feet in a galley locker, skinning my knuckles on out-of-sight sharp objects, my head in the bilge, or stuffed in a lazarette wishing for longer arms, vice-like fingers and dislocated elbows. Unfortunately, there go most of my excuses, too!

On the way south last fall we managed to board a couple of Defevers and decided the 44 design fit our likes and needs best although one we saw was not in very good condition. The only thing left was finding the right one for us. When we pulled into Palm Coast on Thanksgiving Day there were two of them in the marina, one of which was for sale. We became friends with the owners of one and they confirmed what we were learning about Defevers and took a look at the one for sale. It was well over our budget but very nicely kept. We found out later it had a major issue that is being taken care of but it is still on the market. By the time we returned to Palm Coast in February, our new friends Peter and Sandy Swift had decided to move up from their 44 to a Defever 57 and asked if we were still interested. Ah, the dilemma. Who in their right mind wants two boats?!

As much as we've loved her, we spiffed and polished PRIM and she went on the market. Three Bronx cheers for this great economy. No sale yet but she's probably the best one on the market in her bracket and priced very well. Anyone out there looking for an excellent island cruiser/liveaboard in true turn-key condition can take a look at her on Yachtworld or call Meg Goncalves at Yacht Brokers of Palm Coast. Somebody out there is going to get a h_ _ _ of a deal. Here's why:

We are now the proud owners of the Defever 44 formerly known as 'Knot So Swift'. Three weeks ago we sucked it up, finalized the deal and moved aboard in Arnold, MD where she had been returned to in April. I figured if Wall Street was going to swallow my money as fast as it has been doing lately, we might as well park it in a good deal that will save us a few bucks over time. The old PRIM will sell soon enough. Meanwhile we have moved aboard the new PRIM and are currently in Herrington Harbor North while we finish minor repairs and additions and await our documentation papers. We will soon be heading south to visit friends in Fishing Bay then on to North Carolina for some serious R&R with our Sailblog friends Al, Jen and Miss Bridget on 'Close Knit' and enjoy Mary's hospitality at Dowry Creek Marina. We will keep an eye on the weather for a break to continue to our new home port in Palm Coast. 'Bye Maryland. Keep your cold and dreary winters, your crazy traffic, and your taxes. Hello Florida! where handicap parking is everywhere.

On a personal note, we are almost finished with our own surveys. My 'annual inspection' went very well and the Admiral has already gotten one very good report. We have a couple more appointments to get through and maybe a tweak or two but we and our docs are very pleased so far. All in all, living aboard has been "bery, bery good for us". We love it and we're better for it.

Well, that's my story for now and I'm stickin' to it. Now that the dam is broken, I'll be more attentive to 'Til The Butter Melts'.
Comments
Vessel Name: PRIM
Vessel Make/Model: Defever 44 Trawler
Hailing Port: Palm Coast, FL
Crew: Pete & Pokey
About:
One admiral, a trusty old schnauzer*, two clowns disguised as mini-dachshunds, and a bald guy. See 02/09/09, The Who... [*7/26/09 - Sadly, my 'navigator', security officer and best buddy, Max, took leave of us on July 6th and joined his old pal Shorty in pooch heaven. [...]
Extra: PRIM: 1983 Defever 44 Poof*: 2001 Novurania 360DL Email: Pete.svPrim@yahoo.com

PRIM

Who: Pete & Pokey
Port: Palm Coast, FL