The Raven Log

The crew of sv Raven now on land.

26 September 2009 | San Carlos, MX
10 September 2009
05 September 2009
05 September 2009 | San Carlos, MX
11 August 2009 | Cheryl's Bag
09 August 2009 | Taos Solar Center
09 August 2009 | Taos Solar Center
08 August 2009
07 August 2009 | on the other side of the barbed-wire fence from our yard
07 August 2009
06 August 2009 | Our Wood Pile
05 August 2009 | Our Shoe Pile
01 August 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
05 July 2009
03 July 2009

Rainy Season

03 June 2008 | Bahia del Sol, El Salvador
by Cheryl
attempting to dry out and de-mold

Scott & I have decided how to make our millions: we will sell the mold that is forever growing on Raven to a Penicillin manufacturer.

Re-entry into boating life was a little rough mostly because of the all the rain: we got back to the boat to find some old and new leaks, some of which had caused mold & mildew and there was just mold & mildew in general. One of the leaks was in the pilot berth, which is our temporary storage area so the boat was more of a mess then usual. Then a hurricane came near by (60 miles south by Nicaragua) and another tropical storm from the Caribbean side which brought more rain so we had 5,000 days of gloomy-ness and rain. Good news is my rain awnings seem to work so we can keep the portholes & hatch open for air even when it is raining except when we get those violent, nighttime thunder and lightening storms. Boats on either side of us got hit (not to seriously I think) so we feel lucky and scared! The rain cools everything down in general which is nice but brings out a lot more mosquitoes. The 1st sunny day Scott rechalked where we thought the leaks were, one of them has gotten kinda bad, and we dried a lot of stuff out on deck. "Welcome to the rainy season in the Tropics!'

A couple of friends had left the Bahia by time we got back but we got some emails from them. The restoration of the new computer didn't go as smoothly as one would hope but we worked it out especially with the help from Terry on sv Living Water who helped us for 2 days!. We were running low on cash and had quite a time getting one of our ATM cards to work: multiple trips into town which is an hour & half bus ride away, not bringing all the identification we needed, calling the credit card company, ATM's being out of service, etc., etc. Ah, fun with boats.
Comments
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32
Hailing Port: Crested Butte, Colorado, USA
Crew: Capt'n Scott, Admiral Cheryl, Spirit Guide Hilo
About: Capt'n Scott - formerly responsible for the crews lives Cheryl - former Admiral, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, etc., etc. Hilo - Spirit Guide & Protector (formally- Bug Catcher, Scarer of Birds, Lap Warmer, Provider of Unconditional Love (as long as his food bowl is full)
Extra:
Westsails have an interesting history. They were designed after pilot boats, boats that were made very sturdy so they could spend hours in rough seas. They were over built with fiberglass so they are thicker than most fiberglass boats and are wider (beamier) than most other boats for their length [...]

S/V RAVEN & HER CREW from 2004-2009

Who: Capt'n Scott, Admiral Cheryl, Spirit Guide Hilo
Port: Crested Butte, Colorado, USA
"God is happiest when his children are at play" - the Legend of Bagger Vance
"A riveting and exciting read, I can barely wait each month for the new entry". - Capt'n Halsey, the Yellow Submarine