Sequoia Changing Latitudes

30 August 2023 | St. Helens, Oregon
09 August 2023 | Bellingham, Washington
21 July 2023 | Boat: Bellingham; C&B: Scappoose
10 July 2023 | Egmont, Sunshine Coast, B.C., Canada
02 July 2023 | Walsh Cove, Desolation Sound, B.C., Canada
23 June 2023 | Westview/Powell River B.C.
18 June 2023 | Ganges, Saltspring Island, B.C., Canada
22 June 2019 | Scappoose, Oregon
27 May 2019 | Back home in Oregon
09 May 2019 | Villas Alturas Hotel, Costa Rica
02 May 2019 | San Vito, Costa Rica
23 April 2019 | Golfito, Costa Rica
11 April 2019 | Panama City, Panama
04 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Colon, Panama
22 March 2019 | Jamaica
11 March 2019 | Zar Par Marina, Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
18 February 2019 | Culebra Island, Puerto Rico
31 January 2019 | Simpson Bay Lagoon, Sint Maarten
21 January 2019 | Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua
04 January 2019 | Portsmouth, Dominica

Johnston family holiday newsletter

30 December 2010 | Lafayette, CA
December 30, 2010
It's been a great, a historic year. Barbara had retired before, when we sailed across the South Pacific in 2003-2004. But when we got back from that trip, she wasn't happy with staying retired, and went back to work at Brisbee & Stockton. This time, when Barbara retired in June, 2010, Brisbee & Stockton threw her a party (something that only happens when you really retire). We took a year's leave of absence from the orchestras we regularly play with, and then spent the next two months getting ready for a long-planned sabbatical in Mexico for the winter season.

We sailed from Portland (actually St. Helens) to San Francisco Bay in late August, and then left the boat there while we returned to Oregon for a concert. ("Wait, I thought you took a leave of absence from those orchestras?" "Well, yes, but... When the Newport Symphony's season was announced, and the first concert was Beethoven's Ninth, and Craig's been waiting many years to play it, and Barbara's only played it once before...") After the very successful and satisfying performance of Beethoven's Ninth, we caught a plane to Germany, where we attended former exchange student Cornelia's wedding to longtime boyfriend, Jens. We had a great time in Germany, and then in October, we were back to the boat, and have been sailing south ever since.

As of December, the boat is in in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle (near Puerto Vallarta), where we left it moored while we attended a wedding in Queretaro, and then flew to the Bay Area to be with family for Christmas.
Earlier in the year, we put on a 95th birthday party for Craig's Dad, at his house in Lafayette. He's still going strong, providing leadership for the family, and for canine friend Brandy (he still walks a mile with her, every day.)

Probably the biggest family news is that our younger son, David, is engaged to the lovely Tara Hernandez, with a wedding planned for next summer. David and Tara have just bought a new house in Pasadena. David continues to work as an animator at a game company, part of the team that created the Kung Fu Panda World game for 8-12 year olds (www.kungfupandworld.com ). He expects to finish his MFA thesis with the screening of his animation, "Don't Fear the Sitter" at UCLA in June, 2011.
Ian serves as technical director of Annex Theatre in Seattle, and he is more and more involved in producing professional-quality publicity photos for the theater company. During the day, he can still be found at Adobe, working as an IT programmer for the company. In his "spare" time he races motorcycles, flies a light plane, tutors fourth graders, and is a hero to his friends.

We were all together for Christmas this year, in Lafayette with Craig's Dad. Deb came from Bend, Stephanie from New York and London, David from LA, Ian from Seattle, and Craig & Barbara from Mexico. Santa Claus was good to us, and we'll head back to Mexico on New Years Day. We expect to be in Mexico until April or May, and then we'll sail back to Portland by way of Hawaii.

Seasons greetings to all our friends and extended family, and best wishes for a Happy New Year. If the spirit moves you, come join us for a few days or a week in Mexico, and we'll do our best to show you a good time!

Craig & Barbara
www.sailblogs.com/member/svsequoia


Comments
Vessel Name: Sequoia
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: Portland, Or
Crew: Craig & Barbara Johnston
About:
We are the proud owners of S/V Sequoia, Outbound 44 hull #5, built for us in Shanghai, China in 2001. In 2003-04 we crossed the South Pacific to Australia; in 2008 we sailed to Glacier Bay and back -- those voyages have been archived and are no longer available. [...]
Extra:
We care about the world and its people, and try to live responsible lives, mindful of ourselves, the places we travel to, and the people we meet. When we are away from home, we miss our daughter and son and extended family, and try to get together as much as possible. And, dear reader, we look [...]
Sequoia's Photos - Main
Photos from the beginning of our summer cruise to B.C.
11 Photos
Created 18 June 2023
Photos from the beginning of our summer cruise to B.C.
No Photos
Created 18 June 2023
Putting Sequoia aboard the M/V Merwedegracht in Victoria, B.C.
3 Photos
Created 29 March 2017
Photos of our preparations to have Sequoia shipped by freighter from Victoria to Europe.
6 Photos
Created 13 March 2017