s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

Docked in Monterey

18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
It was a sprint to the finish, but we got all of the essentials finished, plus a few nice-to-haves and last get-togethers with friends, and sailed under the Golden Gate again around 1300 yesterday. Once we turned south out of the shipping lane, we got to sail fast (7+ knots) for a few hours, but we had to turn the engine on near Half Moon Bay, and we motored all night.

I had my first solo night watch last night (midnight to 0300). On the delivery I always partnered with someone, and since then John had done all of the night watches by himself with the help of a drug that was prescribed for him (it's used to help shift workers adjust to odd hours). It was definitely time for me to take my turn, and it was uneventful. Running back and forth between the cockpit and the radar screen at the navigation station kept me awake. And it was a beautiful night and not too cold.

Monterey harbor was fairly easy, but it's good that we had the cruising guide's diagram to help us sort it out. (After the Douglass books and Waggoner Guide up north, we aren't too impressed with this guide to central and southern California. I won't name it until I've tried more of it.) We're spending two nights here before heading to Morro Bay, where we'll meet Jeffrey and Karan and go wine tasting.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com