Sound Effect does the big U

14 November 2012
23 April 2012 | Punta Gorda
13 April 2012 | Gasparilla
12 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
04 April 2012 | Gasparilla marina
03 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
01 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina florida
30 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
27 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
21 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
13 March 2012
12 March 2012
10 March 2012 | Cancun area
09 March 2012 | Quintana Roo
07 March 2012 | El Cid
03 March 2012 | Marina El Cid
03 March 2012 | Puerto Morales
01 March 2012 | Puerto Morales Mexico
28 February 2012
24 February 2012 | Texan Bay

Sharks, trash and Kuna Yala

31 October 2011
Sound Effect, pulled anchor and left for the Kuna Yala on Friday morning at dawn. We needed light to traverse the passage just beyond our anchorage and 9-10 hrs to make the journey and arrive with plenty of daylight to spot corral heads. Unfortunately the wind failed to cooperate; light and on the nose, so we motor sailed the bulk of the distance.
Late morning we heard a clunk as we hit something. Although we keep someone on watch at all times hitting debris is common enough. There is run off from the nearby shore and all the rain of the rainy season. However this time the boat began to vibrate so we slowed, stopped and shifted to reverse which shot some debris out the back. Returning to forward the vibration continued. Stopping once again, I put on snorkel gear and went under the boat to investigate. While I was putting on the gear Connie spotted sharks, but when I came on deck I noticed 4ft white tips. Pretty small so I went in.
They disappeared immediately, but I saw why they were interested in the first place. There was a sack of garbage in a black plastic bag tied around the prop! I know the Hefty people are proud of their product but it took 20 minutes to cut away the plastic wrapped around the prop.
We continued on and anchored off Porvenir as this is the official entry port for the Kuna Yala(San blas) The Kuna Yala is a section of mainland and hundreds of Islands where the indigenous native tribe of Kuna's live. Known as San Blas by the conquering people, the Kuna prefer Kuna Yala Before we could get our anchor down we had two dugout canoes selling the local handicraft called molas, and a fishermen trying to sell fish. We won't have to go shopping the shopping will come to us.

The port captain's office is closed most likely until Monday so we will shift anchorages today most likely and come back Monday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sound Effect
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour385
Hailing Port: Tacoma WA
Crew: Jim & Connie Merritt
About: Jim and Connie have been sailing since 1975 and have owned four different boats. Racing and cruising Puget Sound Jim has earned a 100 Ton Coast Guard License and US sailing instructor credentials
Extra: Dreaming about full time cruising for20yrs, Jim and Connie have been actively planning for 5 years since participating in the 2005 BaJa Ha Ha

Who: Jim & Connie Merritt
Port: Tacoma WA