countdown to freedom

01 March 2010 | Chacala
13 February 2010 | San Blas
02 February 2010 | Isla Isabela
27 January 2010 | Stone Island, Mazatlan
03 January 2010 | Mazatlan/ the main land
17 December 2009 | Espiritu Santu and La Paz
06 December 2009 | lovely La Paz
27 November 2009 | Lovely La Paz
18 November 2009 | Bahia Los Muertos
09 November 2009 | Cabo San Lucas
25 October 2009 | Catalina
17 October 2009 | Newport Beach, So. CAL
04 October 2009 | Sunny Santa Barbara
26 September 2009 | San Francisco
02 September 2009 | 1 inch closer
18 August 2009 | up the river : destination milltown
07 August 2009 | Still in Newport
29 July 2009 | Newport,Or

Hikin to the boobies

02 February 2010 | Isla Isabela
visibility 30 ft
"Let's go see some boobies!" The Captain announced.
"Ugh....Dad that's so gross.." Kimberly's reaction to many things, actually. We are pulling into Isla Isabella. One of the most beautiful stops so far. Isla Isabella is a National Park and a bird sanctuary. It also has a snorkeling visibility of about 30 feet. It's absolutely beautiful .
It turns out, the bird to see while you are there, are the blue-footed boobies. At the very top of the hike, the boobies are busy nesting. There are about 9000+ birds in trees, nesting aground and flying all around. (It sounds impossible but it is actually a factoid written inside the info booth) At times a bit eerie. We saw about 30-40 boobies nesting. They look like they are just lying around on the ground resting...but upon closer inspection they have a few little eggs under their bums. Elias, who is good at rubbing things the wrong way, got a couple feathers ruffled up enough for us to get a good glimpse. Similar to many females we know, these did not care for Elias being that close to their bums...or their unborn children.
Isla Isabella is also covered in iguanas. A child's very own wildlife safari. Naturally, Elias was ecstatic. For the girls (that is, of course, what he claimed) he ended up catching one really big iguana and a few smaller different types of lizards. Iguanas are pretty cute. They are full of personality and have a very lazy, carefree mood. When they have to, they can shake a tail...which is also pretty cute. We have some awesome pictures in our gallery of the hike.
After we came down from the hike, we got to hang with a few of the local fisherman under their shady little "break hut." I got to practice my Spanish with a few questions about their work and the area. Elias asked them if they ate the iguanas.
We decided it was time to head back to the boat. Kimberly and her boyfriend, Zack decided to swim back as the rest of the gang jumped in the dinghy. It was just about then that we spotted a humpback whale breaching. Kimberly caught a few good pictures before she headed back. She is quite the photographer. Please look for them in the gallery as well.
Tomorrow we are headed to San Blas....onto our next adventure....Until then _/)_
Comments
Vessel Name: stepping stone
Vessel Make/Model: Mapleleaf, 42 ft.
Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
Crew: Cptn Elias;1st Mate, Sarah; 2nd Mate,Kimberly and Swabbie Boo
About:
We are a family of four, living on board our beautiful 42' Mapleleaf in Newport, Or. We are currently cold. Ha Ha. [...]

Countdown to Freedom

Who: Cptn Elias;1st Mate, Sarah; 2nd Mate,Kimberly and Swabbie Boo
Port: Newport, Oregon