SVSTX

05 June 2021 | Malaspina Strait, CN
03 June 2021 | Roche Harbor
30 August 2018 | Parks Bay, Shaw Island, San Juan Isls USA
27 August 2018 | Naniamo, B.C.
24 August 2018 | Campbell River, B.C.
22 August 2018 | Labouchere Passage, Queen Charlotte Strait
20 August 2018 | N. of Bella Bella, BC
18 August 2018 | Bishop Bay, BC
16 August 2018 | Prince Rupert, BC
11 August 2018 | Ketchikan, AK
11 August 2018 | Off Wrangell, AK
07 August 2018 | Tracy Arm Anchorage, Alaska
26 June 2018 | Juneau, AK
26 June 2018 | Kodiak, AK
16 June 2018
13 June 2018

British Columbia

05 June 2021 | Malaspina Strait, CN
KC & JoLe Wilson
We left Roche Harbor for Sydney yesterday morning with nice weather, just not enough wind to sail unfortunately. Arrived at the CN Customs Dock and called in; spent about 10 minutes on the phone and then was told that their officers would be down soon (they are based out of the airport). About 30 minutes later the officers arrived, went through pretty much what we'd been asked on the phone plus some new questions such as any covid symptoms (everyone on the dock, it was also the fuel dock, wore masks full time, we had ours with us so threw them on), requested a float plan, which we had, explained to us that we were required to quarantine for 14 days before being able to touch land or a dock or raft up with other people in CN and that our boat was our mobile quarantine home while traveling through. We also had to read a statement with swearing that we would abide by our quarantine rules and that if we didn't we could be fined up to $1 million and/or spend up to 3 years in jail. We were sent on our way after being there about 1 1/2 hours. Too funny, as we left the harbor we got rained on, just a sprinkle but kind of felt that might be a portent of things to come. We also saw a sight we really don't want to ever see again, that was a 50' Power Boat being raised from the depths after hitting the point.

After leaving Sydney we headed up to Naniamo going through Dodd Narrows which is always a treat; a fun place to go through. Up this morning and out into the Strait of Georgia heading to Campbell River and the Seymour Narrows (took a detour into Malaspina Strait but will be back in the Strait of Georgia tomorrow. We've been motor sailing off and on all day; the wind is very fickle for a while from the NW then switches to NE and back again! Keeps us busy moving the mainsail back and forth. Weather has been great, some sun, rain, wind, and then it starts all over again. We feel like strippers with how many times we take off layers and put them back on. Not much wildlife to report, a few seals and sea lions and KC did spot a whale spout on the horizon, too far to see much though.

Should be anchoring in Sturt Bay on Texada Island tonight and head to Campbell River tomorrow, going through Seymour Narrows into Johnstone Strait on Monday.


Entering Canada

03 June 2021 | Roche Harbor
KC & JoLe Wilson
Date: 6/3/21, 3:25 pm PST
Position Rpt: 48 36.611 N; 123 09.751 W

We are currently in Roche Harbor, San Juan Islands, getting ready to cross into Canada tomorrow via Canadian Customs in Sydney. We'd intended on entering at Bedwell Harbor but when checking their hours found that they are now indefinately closed (they were open until May 12). Glad we checked.

Since leaving the dock we spent Memorial Weekend with friends in Poulsbo, then motored up and spent the evening in Port Townsend before heading across the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the San Juan Islands. It was wonderful, we sailed the full day across the Strait! It was one of our fastest crossings. During our stop in Port Townsend I finished the last of my work requiring internet. Unfortunately KC wasn't able to finish all of his work so we spent last night and this morning at the dock in Friday Harbor before leaving for Roche Harbor.

Chinook Landing Marina, Tacoma, WA

30 August 2018
JoLe
Friday, September 7, Chinook Landing Marina, Tacoma, WA. We spent Wednesday, August 29, and Thursday, August 30, in Parks Bay as planned. KC took the dinghy across the San Juan Channel into Friday Harbor to pick up the last items we needed prior to picking up Geoff & Rachel. Early Friday morning we pulled anchor and moved the boat to the transient dock in Friday Harbor to await Geoff & Rachel's ferry at 1:00 pm. During our time waiting we visited some of the shops we enjoyed the last time here, a cooking shop and a bookstore that also doubles as a coffee shop, both are great little stores. The weather was beautiful, blue sky and sun so was nice to stroll around. Once Geoff & Rachel arrived we got everyone aboard and off the dock heading for Hunter Bay on the East side of Lopez Island. It was great, we sailed almost all the way there! The only thing that marred our sailing was one of the WA State Ferries - while we were under sail it pulled away from the dock, which was fine, we were able to continue to sail as it headed South, the next thing we knew it reversed to the North, then turned to the East, again we thought we were okay, until at full speed it headed West, back to the dock and directly at us. At this point we had no where to turn under sail, so we quickly turned on the engine, and turned as quickly as possible and with sails flapping to run parallel to the ferry's new path. The ferry was approximately 100 yards from us. We weren't the only boat that couldn't figure out what the ferry was doing as boats all around us were turning in every which direction trying to stay out of harms way. There was no announcement over the VHF about what the ferry intended, very professional (NOT). We left Hunter Bay Saturday morning, crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca into Puget Sound and on to Port Ludlow where we anchored along with 50 other boats! We spent the evening watching even more boats come into harbor and anchor, always entertaining! Sunday morning we woke to fog so hung around in Port Ludlow until it started to burn off and then headed to Liberty Harbor (Poulsbo) via Agate Pass to give Geoff & Rachel the �"thrill�" of passing under a bridge with a mast that looks like it's going to hit at any moment! Monday, again dawned sunny and warm as we headed to Chinook Landing Marina in Tacoma where we will keep the boat this winter. We had a great time with Geoff & Rachel on the boat on the last leg of this trip. Very surreal coming into the Marina as this is where the boat was when we were here in 2010 - 2012! This will be our last Sail Mail and posting to Sailblogs for this trip as it has sadly come to an end, happy to be here but sad at the same time. Ten years ago when we originally did this trip, we came into the Seattle/Tacoma area quite excited that we completed the trip. This time around it is more of a sad arrival as neither of us are quite ready to give up sailing for life on shore, although we are looking forward to getting back on our bicycle again! We would rather still be exploring and anchoring out each night but that will happen again next year when we make our way north again through some new passages we've found.

In the San Juan Islands

30 August 2018 | Parks Bay, Shaw Island, San Juan Isls USA
JoLe
Wednesday, August 29, Parks Bay, Shaw Island, San Juan Islands, WA We spent last night, Tuesday, anchored in Campbell Bay, Mayne Island, B.C. Houses all around but still seals laying out sunning on a rock as we came in. Didn't expect to come into a bay and after anchoring hear cars. We keep finding ourselves a bit overwhelmed by people, houses, boats, population in general! Got up this morning to a bit of rain which dissipated just after we left Campbell Bay into the Strait of Georgia. No sailing today, just motoring as we crossed from Canada into the U.S. through Boundary Passage. We arrived in Roche Harbor, U.S., around 12:30, cleared customs without a problem and anchored there for about 3 hours while we ran to shore in the dinghy to pick up a few items at the small grocery store. Back on the boat we decided to head for Parks Bay on Shaw Island which is about 2 miles East of Friday Harbor where we will pick up Geoff & Rachel on Friday and take them South with us to Tacoma. We should be arriving at Chinook Landing Marina, Tacoma, sometime Monday afternoon or evening.

Lasqueti Island/Naniamo

27 August 2018 | Naniamo, B.C.
JoLe
Monday, August 27. Nanaimo, B.C. We left Campbell River yesterday, Sunday, morning. It was a fairly uneventful day in that it was like motoring on a very large pond, or, as KC described it, it reminded him of our �"sail�" to HI a year ago, not a breath of wind from any direction! It was beautiful though with blue skies and sun all the way! We anchored in False Bay on Lasqueti Island. We'd never been in the bay before so we were a little surprised to come around the corner into the bay to see numerous houses, a public dock with a place for a small foot passenger ferry, and numerous other boats anchored, moored or at the dock. There was also a hotel/restaurant right above the dock on the water with a wonderful view of the bay. We anchored in a cove off the bay, dinghied over to the dock, and walked up to the restaurant for Happy Hour! Look up Lasqueti Island online and take what they write about their island with a grain of salt. Most of the houses were million + dollar homes and we didn't see much of the �"chopping your own wood to heat your house�" going on etc. Maybe we just missed it. The locals were very colorful though! Fun little place! We pulled anchor this morning and once out in the Strait of Georgia put up the jib and sailed for about 2 hours until the wind died. A nice quiet morning of sailing. We are currently anchored in Mark Bay/Nanaimo Harbor enjoying the sunshine. Instead of going through Dodd Narrows tomorrow (timing doesn't work with the currents that are running) we will go back out to the Strait of Georgia and meander our way South, ending up in Roche Harbor, WA tomorrow or the following day to check in with U.S. customs.

Sailing, Finally!

24 August 2018 | Campbell River, B.C.
JoLe
Friday, August 24. Campbell River, B.C. We did wake to clear skies on Thursday and the sun was even yellow! Totally blue skies and winds that were finally coming from the right direction to sail! After entering Johnstone Strait on the run down through Discovery Passage into the Seymour Narrows to the town of Campbell River, B.C. we put up the light air sail and sailed for about ½ an hour (no motor! So nice to hear the ocean rushing by), then the winds picked up so we switched the light air sail for the jib and continued sailing all the way to Campbell River, a run of 76 miles in 10 hours! We did have the help of some current flow but we still hauled along and had a great day! We had to get used to tacking our sail on a regular basis as the winds shift continually in the narrow channels, especially when another channel joins the channel you are in. We've gotten out of the habit of having to tack as when we blue water sail we pretty much set our sails and don't really have to move them about much. On our way out of Blackfish Passage into Johnstone Strait (which parallels Vancouver Island) we had two first sightings - the first was a pod of 7 Orca's feeding, a mix of adults and babies, and the second was kayakers! In the past we have usually met kayakers prior to Johnstone Strait and we have usually seen Orca's in SE Alaska, but we'd seen neither. We arrived in Campbell River with winds of 20+ kts. and were assigned a berth at the Discovery Harbor Marina that had the wind pushing us off the dock! Our new neighbors promptly jumped off their boats and helped bring us in, nice people! It is one of the reasons we enjoy stopping here. We will be in Campbell River tonight and possibly tomorrow night and have cell phone and internet service during that time.
Vessel Name: STX
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44'
Hailing Port: Juneau, Alaska
Crew: KC & JoLe Wilson
About:
In 1995 we were reviewing our lives, the things that we missed doing and what we still wanted to do in our lifetimes. Upon reflection we realized that most of the things we missed and still wanted to do had to do with the ocean and traveling. [...]
Extra:
Our Kalik, STX, is a fiberglass hulled, flush deck, cutter rig designed by naval architect Gary Mull of San Francisco, California. It was built in Belgium in 1981 and sold by the Sovereign Yacht Company. As Mr. Mull died in 1994, at the age of 55, specific information concerning the boat is [...]
STX's Photos - Main
4 Photos
Created 3 June 2021
1 Photo | 1 Sub-Album
Created 13 May 2018
23 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
British Columbia
17 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
2012
1 Photo | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 May 2012