SV Tanga

no experience necessary

21 November 2015 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji Islands
03 November 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
23 October 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
29 June 2015 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
12 June 2015 | Musket Cove Marina, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
05 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
17 August 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
26 July 2014 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu Island, Fiji
06 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
04 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
01 July 2014 | 17 23.614S:177 '47.72E
30 June 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
25 June 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
29 May 2014 | Port Denerau Marina, Fiji
21 May 2014 | Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 May 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
23 April 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
08 April 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
05 March 2014 | Vuda Marina, Fiji

The last of the voyage to Cabo Fun- The tow in

21 March 2012 | Cabo San Lucas
So we don't have an engine, and no wind but we are still about two miles outside the harbor entrance. When Monica called the marina to arrange a slip, she also arranged a couple of pangas to greet us with a tow. We told the marina that this would be a night arrival. The marina arranged everything and provided us with contact names and vhf channels to use when we arrived within a mile of the harbor entry.

As we approached to within two miles, the wind was blocked by the point and we drifted with the current back to the west. Knowing we could get no closer without wind, we started to try and convince the panga drivers to come out a little further. They refused, stating they did not carry enough fuel to reach us (turned out to be complete BS). I told them I could give them total refills upon reaching us if needed, that is when the radio seemed to mysteriously break up and transmission to us just stopped.

This wasn't an issue for us, because we were beat, no wind meant no work, so we prepared to drift with the current for the night and enjoy our first solid rest. Our plan was to sail close to the harbor, with the morning air. Monica went below to sleep and I got out the sleeping bag in the cockpit, to wake every 15 minutes, to my egg timer for a quick scan of the horizon. Since we were drifting and this is a major cruise ship destination, I wanted to make any ships aware of us if they were coming in and didn't notice our lights in an unexpected area.

After settling into my bag and tuning the vhf to 16 (the primary channel that all vessels monitor); the radio rings to life by the captain of a 70 foot catamaran, asking us about our location and situation. We reported that all is well and we that we were in no danger, but the caller says he has someone on the way and asks us to light up the boat so we can be seen. So up comes Monica, who had already gone to sleep, and out come the binoculars to find the approaching pangas. We were looking into the city lights on shore so picking out some navigation lights were going to be tough. HA!! Turns out the panga had no lights and was trying to get us to see him by him opening and closing his cell phone at two miles away, with city lights behind him!!! Monica at this point laughed, put down the binoculars and told me to wake her in the morning, since she knew how this would go. As it turns out, the pangas didn't even leave the harbor. The captain of the catarman worked for over an hour, from his home and harbor, trying to get the pangas to us and was really worried we were in trouble.

Round two; after climbing back into bed, the radio comes on again, this time the Mexican Marines call and ask if all is well, and are we ok till morning? We tell them yes and there is no danger to us or hazard to others so they say adios. The Marines will come out if there is an issue or if asked, similar to the Coast Guard in the states. Also similar, they care very little for your boat, only for safety of the crew.

Then another hour later, the radio comes alive again, this time by Steve of El Diablo, a deep sea fishing charter boat owner/captain. He is an American who also felt we were in danger, even after repeated assurances of no worries on board, he still felt obligated to help. We worked out our location with him and he said he was going to find someone to tow us in, and if he couldn't, he would bring out his powerboat. After a few minutes he comes on and has found the two panga drivers that were supposedly helping before (they were sitting on the beach watching us this whole time!!); and after some hostel discussion he convinced them to get us. The security guard at the marina gave them his flashlight and handheld radio so they could communicate/translate. After a lot of confusion from the pangas (still trying to get out of towing us,) Steve's persistence paid off and we were able to get towed in.

After we were tied off to the panga, it was uneventful from there; however Ethel and I have had an interpersonal discussion about the embarrassment and hassle of being towed and she has assured me that it won't happen again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tanga
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan OutIsland 415
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Tom and Monica
About: Hi and welcome to our website. We are beginning our new journey in life of sailing around the world. Please follow along with us in our new adventures.
Home Page: http://www.tangaway.com
Tanga's Photos - Main
Our 3rd year spent in Fiji.
17 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Our second year spent in Fiji.
57 Photos
Created 9 May 2014
May 2013 - December 2013
105 Photos
Created 18 May 2013
November 2012 - April 2013
15 Photos
Created 19 November 2012
September and October 2012
53 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
August 2012
15 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
August 2012
8 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
12 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
July 2012
19 Photos
Created 30 July 2012
June 2012
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
May 2012. Left Puerto Vallarta and 34 days later, we arrived on Nuka Hiva in the Marquesas.
23 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
March 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
8 Photos
Created 1 November 2011
11 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 27 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
14 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
November 2010 through August 2011
22 Photos
Created 30 August 2011