SV Tanga

no experience necessary

21 November 2015 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji Islands
03 November 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
23 October 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
29 June 2015 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
12 June 2015 | Musket Cove Marina, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
05 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
17 August 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
26 July 2014 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu Island, Fiji
06 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
04 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
01 July 2014 | 17 23.614S:177 '47.72E
30 June 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
25 June 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
29 May 2014 | Port Denerau Marina, Fiji
21 May 2014 | Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 May 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
23 April 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
08 April 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
05 March 2014 | Vuda Marina, Fiji

Manta Ray Week

21 August 2013 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
For the past few weeks we've been looking for a weather window to explore some of the north western part of Fiji called the Yasawas. Last week we got that window. Although various weather sources indicated the winds would blow up to 25kts and make our anchoring uncomfortable, there was one source that said we would have settled weather. Since our friends on Red Sky were trying to do the same thing, we decided to "buddy boat" with them (they also have most of the uncharted reefs charted). After a lengthy discussion about the weather, we all decided to not believe the other sources and believe the one we liked and get a move on it.

After motor sailing for a while and watching the weather, John from SV Red Sky decided it would be best to tuck into a small bay next to an uninhabited island called Navadra. WOW!! The island wrapped around us on 3 sides but unfortunately was exposed to the swell. Because of the swell, the anchorage was a little rolly but otherwise great holding. We walked the beach for a while and ate a potluck between the two boats. Then it was off to shore for a nighttime landing in the surf for a beach bonfire. Since it's been awhile since any of us have slept in a rolly anchorage, none of us got much sleep. The next morning, after a quick swim, we pulled anchor and headed for Octopus Bay on Waya Island.



As we were heading to Octopus Bay, the swell stayed in the same direction so we all decided (based on Red Sky's local knowledge) to skip it if we wanted to sleep that night. We decided to go around to the northern side of the island and drop anchor into a nice flat calm anchorage with very light wind and virtually no swell. About 5 minutes from the anchorage, Red Sky caught a LARGE fish and invited us over for fresh fish dinner that night; Fish & Chips, Aussie style. While John and Leanne went into the village to drop of the extra fish they had, we went dingy fishing but we had no luck. Then all 4 of us went snorkeling on a wonderful reef with great visibility. Waya is a beautiful place that we hope to return to in the near future. The island of Waya is very much like the Marquises islands with the sheer volcanic walls and large spires. It was breathtaking to see in the morning and evening light. It was also nice to wake up to our morning coffee and hear the roosters. That is something we haven't heard in a long time.



The next morning we were off to Manta Ray Bay. The typical (safe) route is to go around the island and tuck into the beach for a nice anchorage. But since we were following a crazy Aussie with great local waypoints and knowledge, we just cut right through a tiny pass that Tanga normally wouldn't take its dingy through. It was VERY shallow and Tom stopped breathing until we got to the other side. After going through it, it was decided that it wasn't that bad, but we had never gone through that shallow of a reef before. Once the hook was set, we grabbed the snorkel gear and headed for the pass where the Mantas feed on the drifting plankton.

The pass with the Mantas was amazing! Not only did we swim with Manta Rays, but also many different schools of thousands of fish. That is no exaggeration, thousands of fish! We were surrounded and swimming inside schools of Blue, yellow and sometimes green fish. During the second dive, we swam in a bait ball of herring. Again there were thousands of individual fish circling above, around and below us. Just awesome!



The Manta Rays come to this pass because the current is strong and they just "hover" and let the plankton come to them. As we floated with the current, we would fan out until someone saw one, then swim towards it and watch it. They were majestic to watch as they slowly moved their wings. The color contrast from the flat black top to the all white mouth was neat to see against the blue water and different coral. We did several dives that day then headed off to a small backpackers resort around the corner for pizza. This was the best pizza we have had in Fiji yet. After that, it was back to the boats. The girls got a nap while the guys went snorkeled an area of coral right off our boats. The guys said the snorkel was great and we (the ladies) should try it. That night was full of eating and playing Farkle on Red Sky.



The next day we woke up, grabbed the gear and went off to the Mantas again for some more fun. The sun was bright so the different coral and fish colors were even more vivid than the previous day. The pass was literally crowded with fish. Then we went to a secluded beach and had a good time walking and playing silly Aussie games like hit a floating coconut with a rock. I know it sounds pretty easy, but that coconut was bobbing up and down and floating away with the current. My awesome hubby was the first and only person to hit it.



After all that fun, we headed to Vuda Point, on the main island, and secured our hurricane cradle and restocked our fresh food stores.

Back home at Musket Cove, we've been surfing most every day with our friends John and Leanne. Tonight Tom is making blackened fish with some more of Henry (the fish John caught in Waya), Monica's peach cobbler for desert and Leanne's famous tater stuff. Tomorrow is filled with chores and the reward of a beer butt chicken for dinner in the sand.

More pictures have been added to the Fiji Phot Gallery.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tanga
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan OutIsland 415
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Tom and Monica
About: Hi and welcome to our website. We are beginning our new journey in life of sailing around the world. Please follow along with us in our new adventures.
Home Page: http://www.tangaway.com
Tanga's Photos - Main
Our 3rd year spent in Fiji.
17 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Our second year spent in Fiji.
57 Photos
Created 9 May 2014
May 2013 - December 2013
105 Photos
Created 18 May 2013
November 2012 - April 2013
15 Photos
Created 19 November 2012
September and October 2012
53 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
August 2012
15 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
August 2012
8 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
12 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
July 2012
19 Photos
Created 30 July 2012
June 2012
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
May 2012. Left Puerto Vallarta and 34 days later, we arrived on Nuka Hiva in the Marquesas.
23 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
March 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
8 Photos
Created 1 November 2011
11 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 27 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
14 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
November 2010 through August 2011
22 Photos
Created 30 August 2011