SV Tanga

no experience necessary

21 November 2015 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji Islands
03 November 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
23 October 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
29 June 2015 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
12 June 2015 | Musket Cove Marina, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
05 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
17 August 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
26 July 2014 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu Island, Fiji
06 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
04 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
01 July 2014 | 17 23.614S:177 '47.72E
30 June 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
25 June 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
29 May 2014 | Port Denerau Marina, Fiji
21 May 2014 | Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 May 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
23 April 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
08 April 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
05 March 2014 | Vuda Marina, Fiji

We're back

22 January 2014 | Vuda Marina, Fiji
I know it’s been almost 2 months since we have posted something on our website, but really, Tanga sitting on a hardstand, in a marina, just doesn’t seem very exciting reading to us.

So, where have we been? After Tom successfully completed his surf trip with only small cuts and bruises, we finished getting Tanga ready for our departure back to the States. We removed all the sails; main, mizzen and jib. We cleaned and tore apart our dingy. And lastly, we tore down our bimini. Now, all this sounds pretty easy, and some of it was, however, it is like 100 degrees here; well not really based on the temperature, however, when you factor in the humidity, it feels like 100 degrees. We drip sweat beginning around 9 in the morning and it continues until around 4pm, or whenever we decide to give up for the day and go sit at the bar, in the shade, where there is a breeze.

Now, all of this stuff has to store somewhere…..somewhere on Tanga. Our v-berth is usually pretty full with stuff to begin with, however the small little floor is usually clear. Well, after storing all the sails and the dinghy, there is absolutely no where to walk in the boat except for the path we have left open to get to the galley, the head, and the stateroom.

Towards the beginning of December, we flew back to the States for the holidays. Our first stop is always a few days in Las Vegas. This gives us time to adjust to the business of the USA, and to catch up on our sleep from the very long flight. Next, we flew to Florida and had a great visit with Tom’s parents. His parents moved to Florida about a year ago, so we had never been to their condo. So, they were very excited about acting like tour guides and taking us all over the place. And, of course, the weather was beautiful! Then off to Ohio to visit my side of the family. We stayed busy visiting with my family and it’s always great to see how our little nieces and nephews have grown.

Also, during this time, we had ordered Tom a brand new surf board. The morning that the surfboard was going to arrive, was like Christmas for Tom. He had to patiently wait for the freight company to deliver it within a 4 hour window. Tom was so excited and giddy!

Then it was time to begin heading west again, which meant, one more stop in Las Vegas before heading to Los Angeles and then on to Fiji. We actually walked away from Las Vegas winners! Tom was on a lucky table of Craps and I was also lucky playing Blackjack. It’s always nice to walk away from Vegas with some new cash in our pockets.

Then it was off to LAX for our flight back. We’ve not had an issue in the past so we didn’t worry about bringing our paperwork (boat and immigration) to the states with us, OOPS! Typically if you have your boat documents and your immigration paperwork, or a letter from Fiji immigration that states you are leaving on a boat in the future (a “one way letter”), you are allowed to enter the country without a roundtrip ticket. This keeps people from arriving in Fiji without sufficient funds to leave the country and become a nightmare for the Fijian immigration department to deport. But since we didn’t have the appropriate documents, we were forced to by return flights to be permitted to board the plane home, bummer ($1800 mistake). We did by refundable tickets, but haven’t yet got them refunded.


We arrived safely back to Tanga and found her just as we left her. The downside was that we both got the flu and for the first 3 days we were in Fiji, we just layed around, drinking lots of fluids, trying to get ourselves healthy.

So, what have we been doing lately? We’ve gotten busy with our projects list.

We’re currently getting all new soft leather upholstery throughout and doing a re-lighting project. We’re also getting new sail covers, halyards and a new anchor light. With those and the new bimini, bottom paint and other misc work, we expect to be back in the water in 3 weeks.

Once back in the water we expect to take advantage of the times between weather warnings with trips to various islands and Tom is anxious to try out his brand new surfboard. If a cyclone does threaten, we’ll be within a day trip to either Vuda, or one of the rivers as a cyclone hole.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tanga
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan OutIsland 415
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Tom and Monica
About: Hi and welcome to our website. We are beginning our new journey in life of sailing around the world. Please follow along with us in our new adventures.
Home Page: http://www.tangaway.com
Tanga's Photos - Main
Our 3rd year spent in Fiji.
17 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Our second year spent in Fiji.
57 Photos
Created 9 May 2014
May 2013 - December 2013
105 Photos
Created 18 May 2013
November 2012 - April 2013
15 Photos
Created 19 November 2012
September and October 2012
53 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
August 2012
15 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
August 2012
8 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
12 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
July 2012
19 Photos
Created 30 July 2012
June 2012
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
May 2012. Left Puerto Vallarta and 34 days later, we arrived on Nuka Hiva in the Marquesas.
23 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
March 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
8 Photos
Created 1 November 2011
11 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 27 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
14 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
November 2010 through August 2011
22 Photos
Created 30 August 2011